Open carry for non -resident in Oklahoma

This is a discussion on Open carry for non -resident in Oklahoma within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does Oklahoma have state preemption for OC? I briefly looked at handgunlaw.us, but couldn't find anything....

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By oldman45
  • 1 Post By oldman45
  • 1 Post By oldman45
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By Eagleks
  • 1 Post By ks kid

Thread: Open carry for non -resident in Oklahoma

Does Oklahoma have state preemption for OC? I briefly looked at handgunlaw.us, but couldn't find anything.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Google is your friend. OK has a gov web site that answers your question but it is vague.

As I understand, OC is legal with a state issued concealed weapons permit. They do honor other states permits but the way I read their actual law, only residents of OK may OC with a permit.

I visit friends in OKC regularly, which happens to be a retired detective up there. When there, I only carry concealed.
    techieccw likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Governor Mary Fallin - OpenCarryFAQ

Says you cannot carry openly as a non resident but in the lower part, it says you can if your state permits it.

Q: Can I openly carry and not have a permit?
    A: Maybe. You can carry a handgun openly or concealed without a license under reciprocity if this is allowed in your state and under the same conditions that are required in your state.

As such, Louisiana allows OC without a permit and a LA resident would be allowed to OC in OK, according to the website.
    techieccw likes this.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

If you want to OC, come to LA and visit. You can OC here as a non resident and will not be hassled by LE as long as you act responsibly.
    techieccw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    If you want to OC, come to LA and visit. You can OC here as a non resident and will not be hassled by LE as long as you act responsibly.
    Thanks, but I can OC all I want in KS. I was just visting reletives on Ponca City, OK. I don't have my CCL yet and felt "naked" in a strange city with only a small pocket knife and a flashlight. Thanks to this forum I had my SA on high alert though.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Many laws say you can do things........ but, I do not want to be their "test Case".
    techieccw likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

My understanding is that if your state allows OC then you can OC in OK.

For instance with a Texas CHL, you would only be able to CC in OK, but with a TN handgun carry permit you could either CC or OC when visiting OK.

Of course this is just my understanding, a quick call to the OK state police might be in order to get their take on it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

if your state allows constitutional(unlicensed ) open carry than in OK you can carry open following all laws. if you are stopped by the police you must tell the cop you are carrying and from what state your from with a valid ID from that state.

I think I'm confused. How in the world are the police supposed to know every states laws and whether it's legal there to OC or not, so you can OC in Okla or not ? To me, that makes no sense.
    techieccw likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I would recommend you call the issuing authority in Ok. and ask them. When I am traveling, I check Handgunlaws.us, and then call if I still have questions. I've made a dozen calls so far and have found all agencies very helpful and thankful that you called.
    techieccw likes this.

Links