Spooked an LEO while OCing

This is a discussion on Spooked an LEO while OCing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A sorta funny, sorta disturbing event happened to me yesterday. I stopped in to the Walgreens next to Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk, to grab ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree354Likes

Thread: Spooked an LEO while OCing

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

A sorta funny, sorta disturbing event happened to me yesterday. I stopped in to the Walgreens next to Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk, to grab my wife some cough syrup. It was about 9:00 p.m. I parked next to a Suffolk PD car, and encountered the Officer as I was walking toward the door, and he to his car. We both nodded and moved on. Now it gets interesting. I was OCing. My wife was watching. As the LEO began to sit in his car with me walking away, he saw my firearm and began to stand back up, paused, sat back down, then looked over at my wife, who was looking at him. He then began typing on his computer, backed up so that his headlights shone directly onto the back of my Expedition for a couple minutes, then drove away. Wife called my phone and told me to expect possible trouble. Nothing happened and soon we were on our way.
    Recon1342, DBX, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If that truck is registered to you and you have a VA CHP, he looked it up and moved on his way.

I've had LEO's at traffic stops know I was a CCer long before coming up to the window.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I was OCing. My wife was watching. As the LEO began to sit in his car with me walking away, he saw my firearm and began to stand back up, paused, sat back down, then looked over at my wife, who was looking at him. He then began typing on his computer ... backed up so that his headlights shone directly onto the back of my Expedition ...
    The skittish exist in every corner of our society, in the U.S.

Still hasn't yet succeeded in getting the wool out of their ears. Some LEO's aren't immune either.

It's not as though visibility equated to threat. Yet that LEO took it that way, at least potentially. When probably several dozen others crossed his path that day who were concealed, and they presented probably far more of a potential threat than you.

Folks will get it, at some point. Things seem to be improving, as more get comfortable with commonplace sightings each day.

Hopefully that one LEO will cease taking a single indicator (visible carry) as being a potential for threat, when zero other indicators exist. Time will tell.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 20th, 2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: clarity, correction
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I can't blame the leo, he is trained to consider a weapon a threat and to become cautious. I guess he was a little surprised also. Do many people OC in your area?
    Last edited by Doc_fl; December 20th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Mike1956, Ianthin, usmcj and 7 others like this.

No harm, no foul.
    A Wolf does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.
    USMC Gunny, NRA Life Member, VFW

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_fl View Post
    I can't blame the leo, he is trained to consider a weapon a threat ...
    Took it as an opportunity to "run the plates." Saw threat where there was none, with someone walking with his wife and zero corroborating factors to suggest (in an OC-legal state) that there was any problem or concern to get worried about. Caution is fine. But this visibility-is-threat garbage needs to get toned down a bit, even amongst LE.

Instances like this are the main reason why I wouldn't OC if it became legal in Florida. Not that I have anything to hide from LEO's but I wouldn't want all of the extra attention from them. I respect LEO's and believe that they have an incredibly difficult and dangerous job but for me it's the bad ones that make me not trust them all. So my preference is to remain under the radar and have as little interaction with them as possible- only when necessary. I will always CC.
    DBX and gatorbait51 like this.
    ...Getting into my home isn't the hard part- getting out is...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Took it as an opportunity to "run the plates." Saw threat where there was none, with someone walking with his wife and zero corroborating factors to suggest (in an OC-legal state) that there was any problem or concern to get worried about. Caution is fine. But this visibility-is-threat garbage needs to get toned down a bit, even amongst LE.
    ^^THIS^^ If OC is legal, than why exactly is it a threat? If I were an LEO I think I'd be assessing people and situations all the time for possible threats. However, someone OCing in a state where OC is legal shouldn't be considered a threat. As time moves on and it is more ordinary OC may be treated the way it should be. It can't be a right.....legal......AND A THREAT
    Aceoky, hammer1270, DBX and 3 others like this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

You're right I should have said potential threat
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    ^^THIS^^ If OC is legal, than why exactly is it a threat? If I were an LEO I think I'd be assessing people and situations all the time ...
    It's also far, far more likely someone surreptitiously introducing a concealed weapon into a venue is a potential threat than anyone simply walking about with another doing shopping, showing a basic acknowledgement of and respect for the LEO and simply heading toward one's car.

Agreed, it's tiresome to help save folks from their biases and prejudices all day long. Gets old, fast. Gets concerning, when dealing with such potentially explosive situations such as knee-jerk reactions by armed folks to an armed citizenry. Am not faulting the LEO for being aware and alert. But thousands of folks walk around in most states visibly carrying while being seen by others without an eye being batted. The repositioning of the car, running the plates and general concern seem a tad over the top, to me at least. Hopefully VA is training its hired officers strongly on the laws regarding a carrying citizenry, and OC. Hopefully this one LEO's perspective isn't widespread, in VA.
    Badey, d2jlking, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

I have lived in Virginia for 14 years. In that time, I have only seen one person open carry. It's no surprise that the cop did a double take. Remember, he didn't detain or question the OP.

VIP Member
    Cop saw a guy walking into a drugstore at 9:00 at night, armed. He sensed something was up. Is the woman in the car just a wife or a driver? Ran the plates, nothing comes up. Watches for a second, no harm. He goes on his way, and the OP is not questioned or detained.

I can't find fault for what the cop did.

Police charge couple in L.I. pharmacy massacre - NY Daily News
    Doc_fl, Mike1956, halem1 and 15 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Cop saw a guy walking into a drugstore at 9:00 at night, armed. He sensed something was up. Is the woman in the car just a wife or a driver? Ran the plates, nothing comes up. Watches for a second, no harm. He goes on his way, and the OP is not questioned or detained.

I can't find fault for what the cop did.
    Given the implicit threat of concealment, shouldn't all LE be "running" everyone all day, every day? Ought to be far more concerned over what's not seen as compared to what is, when not knowing what's what in a concealment situation versus seeing indicators are lacking in an OC situation.

Don't fault the LEO in question, myself. I just question whether such bias is misplaced. It's good to be prepared, cautious. But lacking any corroborating factors whatsoever, it gets hard to see where the cause is for viewing a person as any more "threatening" than any other who's doing nothing at all.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    A sorta funny, sorta disturbing event happened to me yesterday. I stopped in to the Walgreens next to Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk, to grab my wife some cough syrup. It was about 9:00 p.m. I parked next to a Suffolk PD car, and encountered the Officer as I was walking toward the door, and he to his car. We both nodded and moved on. Now it gets interesting. I was OCing. My wife was watching. As the LEO began to sit in his car with me walking away, he saw my firearm and began to stand back up, paused, sat back down, then looked over at my wife, who was looking at him. He then began typing on his computer, backed up so that his headlights shone directly onto the back of my Expedition for a couple minutes, then drove away. Wife called my phone and told me to expect possible trouble. Nothing happened and soon we were on our way.
    Posts like this one genuinely baffle me. People for whatever reason deliberately and openly display firearms, which in and of itself indicates they intend to be noticed. They get noticed, then take exception.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Administrator
    You do something that draws attention to yourself. You got a little extra attention. Seems simple enough to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links