I might have diverted a possible break in today by OC'ing.

This is a discussion on I might have diverted a possible break in today by OC'ing. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something interesting happened yesterday at my house. I decided to head out to rent a movie because I was bored (college student on Christmas break ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: I might have diverted a possible break in today by OC'ing.

Something interesting happened yesterday at my house. I decided to head out to rent a movie because I was bored (college student on Christmas break with nothing to do before Christmas Eve---just another day). So I picked out a holster and chose to take my Canik 55 Stingray with me. However, I wouldn't be going out tonight. I walked into the living room, and I saw a rough looking, middle-aged man standing at the door, and he was eyeing the door handle. The door slides and is made of glass, so we immediately made eye contact. There was also a white van in the lot with two people in the front of the vehicle. This was around noon. Mom and dad were at work.

I asked what he wanted from behind the glass. I didn't open the door because I was already suspicious of this guy. He pulled a container of Clorox wipes from his pants, and he said that he and his "acquaintances" were "advertising their product." (I swear to god, I am not making this up.) After he told me why, he looked at my waist and saw my Canik, then took a step back. He immediately became more nervous, and asked if there would be a better time to speak with my parents. He could tell by my appearance that I was not the man of the house, I guess.

I told him that my parents would be back soon, and that they don't like solicitors before suggesting that he and his "acquaintances" leave. So they did. After they left, I promptly decided to stay home and wait for mom and dad to arrive, with the broom stick in place and gun by my side. Apparently my neighbors were met by these strangers. We talked about it for a couple of hours later in the day and we reported the incident to the police down at the station. We had the license plate number, gave a description of these people and what they said and did. Of course the officers said they couldn't do anything about it until a crime had been committed---which I understand completely. But they did say they'd look out for any further reports.

We live near a town that is littered with "pill heads" and drug addicts. I observed these people when they left, and they were going in the town's direction. One of my neighbors commented that she saw some empty boxes in the back of the van. So these people were not trying to sell or advertise anything (especially not Clorox wipes!). They were likely inspecting houses to loot things they could sell, so they could buy more drugs. This is reinforced by the fact that this guy was observing the door handle. This is especially worrying, as the locking mechanism is broken thanks to a break in we suffered six years ago. We can't afford a new door, so we have to keep it lodged shut with a stick between the wall and the sliding rails for the door. Just enough to keep a person from slipping inside, but I don't want to test the broom stick's endurance.

The bad thing is, the door wasn't blocked by the broom stick, so he could have entered as he pleased if I hadn't walked into the living room in time. He saw the gun in my holster, which made him more skittish and possibly more eager to leave than when we made eye contact initially. I think the sight of my gun is what deterred him from opening the door.

Hopefully they understood what I told them, because I really wasn't lying to them. We live out in the middle of nowhere and prefer not to be bothered, much less burglarized. I'm trying to go to sleep, but it's been such a strange day that I am having trouble doing that. So I decided to share this here. Wasn't sure where to post this, but because I had my gun out in the open and intended on having it that way, I thought it would worth sharing it in this part of the message boards.
    RickyD, vice87, oldman45 and 5 others like this.

That's pretty scary stuff, I'm glad you're safe. Get that door fixed man, ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”
    ― Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy

"He pulled a container of Clorox wipes from his pants"

Id lay odds those were for wiping down a crime scene/getting rid of DNA evidence.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did and nothing happened. I hope you neighbors become as aware of situations as you seem to be so nothing else like this can happen and possibly get worse.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    It sounds like you handled yourself and the situation very well. I don't think there are a lot of people your age who would have. Keep your eyes open and I agree with Gabe - fix the door.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

I know money is tight and other things need to be taken care of but consider changeing out the whole door, A sliding glass door is not any protection at all, one kick or patio chair swing and they are inside, locked or not. Lowes or Home depot will have a Steel door and frame that will fit where the sliding doors are, fair warning, it's around $1500, but once in and locked it becomes another obstacle to get through. A shotgun by your bed and your parents bed and knowledge of one another schedules is a good ideal also. They know they have been noticed and may not be back but dont bet on it.
    If it needs to be done, do it.

TRX
    If you have an "ornamental iron" shop nearby, they might be able to fix you up with a decorative grille to cover the opening for less than $1500. You'd lose the use of the door unless the grille had one too, but you'd still have the window.

The Project House had 5 foot by 5 foot double windows in most rooms. I'm swapping them for 3x3 "energy efficient" windows as I go, locating them at the top of the original openings. That makes the bottoms of the windows nearly six feet off the ground as an initial discouragement to intruders.

The Code Gestapo said the bedroom had to have a window of a minimum specific large size as a fire exit. I took an alternate approach and framed an opening for a 36" wide outside door in one corner. I haven't sawed the hole through the outside wall yet, but it'll eventually get a steel door with a dead bolt and dual internal drop bars, like we have on the old house. If one of us needs to leave the bedroom on a gurney, the ambulance crew can pass the gurney outside without having to negotiate the (narrow!) hallway, corners, and front steps.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    LOL door-to-door Clorox wipes salesmen. What's the world coming to?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

It sounds like you did fine. Welcome!

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halberd View Post
    Something interesting happened yesterday at my house. I decided to head out to rent a movie because I was bored (college student on Christmas break with nothing to do before Christmas Eve---just another day). So I picked out a holster and chose to take my Canik 55 Stingray with me. However, I wouldn't be going out tonight. I walked into the living room, and I saw a rough looking, middle-aged man standing at the door, and he was eyeing the door handle. The door slides and is made of glass, so we immediately made eye contact. There was also a white van in the lot with two people in the front of the vehicle. This was around noon. Mom and dad were at work.

I asked what he wanted from behind the glass. I didn't open the door because I was already suspicious of this guy. He pulled a container of Clorox wipes from his pants, and he said that he and his "acquaintances" were "advertising their product." (I swear to god, I am not making this up.) After he told me why, he looked at my waist and saw my Canik, then took a step back. He immediately became more nervous, and asked if there would be a better time to speak with my parents. He could tell by my appearance that I was not the man of the house, I guess.

I told him that my parents would be back soon, and that they don't like solicitors before suggesting that he and his "acquaintances" leave. So they did. After they left, I promptly decided to stay home and wait for mom and dad to arrive, with the broom stick in place and gun by my side. Apparently my neighbors were met by these strangers. We talked about it for a couple of hours later in the day and we reported the incident to the police down at the station. We had the license plate number, gave a description of these people and what they said and did. Of course the officers said they couldn't do anything about it until a crime had been committed---which I understand completely. But they did say they'd look out for any further reports.

We live near a town that is littered with "pill heads" and drug addicts. I observed these people when they left, and they were going in the town's direction. One of my neighbors commented that she saw some empty boxes in the back of the van. So these people were not trying to sell or advertise anything (especially not Clorox wipes!). They were likely inspecting houses to loot things they could sell, so they could buy more drugs. This is reinforced by the fact that this guy was observing the door handle. This is especially worrying, as the locking mechanism is broken thanks to a break in we suffered six years ago. We can't afford a new door, so we have to keep it lodged shut with a stick between the wall and the sliding rails for the door. Just enough to keep a person from slipping inside, but I don't want to test the broom stick's endurance.

The bad thing is, the door wasn't blocked by the broom stick, so he could have entered as he pleased if I hadn't walked into the living room in time. He saw the gun in my holster, which made him more skittish and possibly more eager to leave than when we made eye contact initially. I think the sight of my gun is what deterred him from opening the door.

Hopefully they understood what I told them, because I really wasn't lying to them. We live out in the middle of nowhere and prefer not to be bothered, much less burglarized. I'm trying to go to sleep, but it's been such a strange day that I am having trouble doing that. So I decided to share this here. Wasn't sure where to post this, but because I had my gun out in the open and intended on having it that way, I thought it would worth sharing it in this part of the message boards.
    Uh uh, sure they're selling cleaning products. Duh. I had one such lie to me that he had a permit from the city and show me a crumpled up piece of paper.
    I told him I didn't need to see his permit but I think he should go see if my neighbor wants any. I pointed toward my neighbor whose patrol car was parked in front of the house and
    suggested he that if he really wanted someone to look at his permitted he go show it to him. The guy took off. Next day a apparent accomplish showed up.
    Meanwhile I had learned the the first one had frightened another neighbor's teen who was home alone. I gave this guy 3 seconds to be off my property and
    then made sure he didn't go to the doors of homes occupied by kids or women alone. He didn't like me following him, and took off.

We have not been bothered by door to door vendors in about 2-3 years now; I don't know why. Maybe the city and police have started to enforce
    the permit ordinance.

Sounds like the OP's deal ended well. It may well have ended well if he weren't OCing in his own home; there's no telling. I wasn't OCing, but
    my situation was a tad different.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    If you have an "ornamental iron" shop nearby, they might be able to fix you up with a decorative grille to cover the opening for less than $1500. You'd lose the use of the door unless the grille had one too, but you'd still have the window.

The Project House had 5 foot by 5 foot double windows in most rooms. I'm swapping them for 3x3 "energy efficient" windows as I go, locating them at the top of the original openings. That makes the bottoms of the windows nearly six feet off the ground as an initial discouragement to intruders.

The Code Gestapo said the bedroom had to have a window of a minimum specific large size as a fire exit. I took an alternate approach and framed an opening for a 36" wide outside door in one corner. I haven't sawed the hole through the outside wall yet, but it'll eventually get a steel door with a dead bolt and dual internal drop bars, like we have on the old house. If one of us needs to leave the bedroom on a gurney, the ambulance crew can pass the gurney outside without having to negotiate the (narrow!) hallway, corners, and front steps.
    The ornamental iron idea is a great one. Unfortunately, though we have several such shops, they seem to be in such demand that they aren't much
    interested in just doing a door or a window.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    LOL door-to-door Clorox wipes salesmen. What's the world coming to?
    That's a more common gimmick than you'd think. They need a seemingly legit excuse to be going door to door and that kinda sorta provides one.
    "Officer, I wasn't looking for trouble, I was just trying to make a few pennies."
    Andrew Jackson

Always be vigilant! It's a shame the police couldn't have at least pulled those guys over and checked out their story. Sliding glass doors can also be lifted out of their tracks. Hope you find something better than a broom to secure them. Good job on the deterrence!
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    Wait a second, this can't be true…You were visibly carrying your firearm and you weren't targeted and shot??? How can this be???

The one suggestion I'd make is regarding this statement:

He immediately became more nervous, and asked if there would be a better time to speak with my parents. He could tell by my appearance that I was not the man of the house, I guess.

I told him that my parents would be back soon, and that they don't like solicitors before suggesting that he and his "acquaintances" leave....
    Never tell a potential threat that there is no one else home. The size/number of armed individuals currently in your home should never be shared with some you suspect might be planning to invade.

A better response to his question would have been something like this: "We're not interested in what you are selling. We don't allow solicitors on our property. You are trespassing. Please leave immediately and you and those with you are not permitted to return. Goodbye."

This type of statement is not "suggesting" that they leave, it is telling them to leave and to stay off the property.
    Ghost1958, NONAME762, DBX and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I was saving money for a firearm, but I think I will take everyone's advice and get the door repaired. Unfortunately getting a different door entirely would cost a lot more than I can afford at the moment. Perhaps some other time. For now, I think fixing the lock would be the best step, as it is currently the most easily attainable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Wait a second, this can't be true…You were visibly carrying your firearm and you weren't targeted and shot??? How can this be???

The one suggestion I'd make is regarding this statement:

Never tell a potential threat that there is no one else home. The size/number of armed individuals currently in your home should never be shared with some you suspect might be planning to invade.

A better response to his question would have been something like this: "We're not interested in what you are selling. We don't allow solicitors on our property. You are trespassing. Please leave immediately and you and those with you are not permitted to return. Goodbye."

This type of statement is not "suggesting" that they leave, it is telling them to leave and to stay off the property.
    You are correct. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best thing to do. If something similar happens, I will say that instead of directly letting them know who lives in the household.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links