A few questions and a greeting

This is a discussion on A few questions and a greeting within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I'm not sure if I've ever posted here before but here I go. My name is Ryan and I am 22. I live ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: A few questions and a greeting

New Member Array Mouthymercenary's Avatar

A few questions and a greeting

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if I've ever posted here before but here I go. My name is Ryan and I am 22. I live in Tennessee and have a beautiful wife and a wonderful 3 month old son. I have my CCP, and I've had it for about 7 months now. My only pistol at the moment is a S&W M&P 9mm full size. I love the gun. I'm thinking about getting my hands on a Ruger LC9 with my tax return, you know, since it is another one of my favorites and it would be a hell of a lot easier to conceal than my M&P.

Anyways, to the point! First of all, when it comes to open carrying, is it illegal (considered brandishing) if I remove my holstered weapon in a restaurant and lay it next to me on a booth or possibly on the table? I have never done either and don't intend to unless I know for sure.

Second, I travel through IL sometimes and it's one of those states that does not recognize my permit. It makes me a tad upset because I used to live there. My only question is before I drive across the state line must I remove all ammo and store the gun in its case separate from the ammo? Secondly, do I have to notify anyone I will be transporting a weapon in my vehicle through the state?

Lastly, this is just more of a "your preference question". If you carry a semi-automatic do you carry with one in the chamber or no?

1. Handling a loaded firearm in a public place is a very unsafe idea. It would be far wiser and safer to find a holster and carry position (either OC or CC) that allows quick and easy access while seated yet keeping the firearm holstered and the trigger covered. I don't know of any statute in TN that would indicate that the simple act of removing a pistol and placing it nearby would be brandishing, but it could depend on the circumstances. Either way, it's just not a good idea unless danger is imminent.

2. IL has changed their rules on out of state folks with HCPs recently. Seems like maybe you can have it loaded but it has to stay in the car and out of sight, and be locked up if you leave the car. Don't take my word for it. Handgunlaw.us is a great place to look.

3. A gun with an empty chamber is significantly slower to bring into action when needed. However, if you decide to ignore my advice on your first question, please don't carry a chambered firearm since your kid will soon be reaching for all visible objects that he shouldn't have.
    sammeow, Aceoky, hick63 and 8 others like this.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    ^^That pretty well covers it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    1. Brandishing or not it's just not smart. Don't do it.

2. Car carry OK, locked in car while stopped to eat/pee/etc...

3. Don't turn your Smith into a $500 paperweight.

Welcome to DC from Cuba on the Chesapeake!
    hick63, DingBat, RickyD and 1 others like this.

What Stoveman & Qtip said.....
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe.." Luke:21
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor * State of Tennessee Certified Handgun Instructor * NRA Range Safety Officer

If you like your full-sizr M&P, why not consider a compact version for carry?

I would never unholster a sidearm in public unless I intended to fire the weapon. By removing it from the holster you remove a layer of safety by exposing the trigger to a potential inadvertent pull, and you place your piece on display so some passing bad guy eyeing it might be tempted to grab it. Find a way and place to carry so that it is comfortable in any position you are likely to assume in public.

No need to notify anyone in IL that you are coming and armed. I believe you can have your gun and ammo in your car if the firearm is dismantled, or if it is unloaded and locked in a container and not immediately accessible while you are behind the wheel (eg, in the trunk). Further, I believe, because you have a CCP in another state, you can carry in your vehicle. Just remove your piece, unload it, container it, and stash it out of sight before getting out of your car.

Most folks carry their semiautos with one in the chamber. Israeli carry is not that popular.
    oldman45 and Rhinoman like this.

VIP Member
    Leave your gun on tour side at all times.... Contact the Illinois state police in regards to transportation of firearms......
    An empty chamber turn a handgun into a club everything. Carry with a round in the chamber, your may very well depend on it
    oldman45 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Btw, if you want the Ruger, get the LC9s. Easier trigger.
    I'm fine with the LC9 long trigger, but that puts me in a minority.
    DubH00 likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Isn't open carry is legal in Tennessee ?? …so, carry it in a holster openly…keep you side to a wall just in case.
    "Truth is like a lion. You don't need to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself." St. Augustine

Welcome!

I left my wallet on a plane once. That sucked. Leaving my gun on a restaurant booth would be far, far, far, far, far worse. I would strongly recommend keeping it secured to your person at all times.

No knowledge of Illinois law. As mentioned, visit handgunlaw.us.

Definitely one in the chamber. With a quality firearm and properly holstered, there is no realistic risk (just keep kid's hands away). If one has to draw, it is fairly likely to be in a situation like a guy is swinging a knife or bat at one's head. I would want one hand free to fend off an attack. Two great advantages of handguns are fast presentation and one-handed operation, both of which are compromised with an empty chamber.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    Isn't open carry is legal in Tennessee ?? …so, carry it in a holster openly…keep you side to a wall just in case.
    Open carry is legal if you have a permit. Tennessee's permit covers concealed and open carry.

Distinguished Member Array Kutz's Avatar
    Welcome
    A Wolf does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.
    USMC Gunny, NRA Life Member, VFW
    If you don't know what your doing, Don't.

You have been given some great advice so far. My recommendation is that if you already have a full size M&P take a look at the M&P Shield. I am of the camp that prefers to have the same model/style of gun for EDC.
    Skookum and Rhinoman like this.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

VIP Member
    Placing your gun on the table, in a restaurant, COULD be construed as brandishing, especially if your server happens to be an anti-gun person. I would also be a bad idea if any other customers were to get nervous and make a complaint to the management. If that were to happen, you would surely be asked to leave.

The above is completely aside from the fact that putting a gun on a restaurant table merely makes it available to anyone who walks by your table and wants to pick up a gun and run.

The Illinois answers have, so far, seemed to be spot on, but it is always a good idea to get used to looking on Handgunlaw.us. Excellent site and a lot of work goes into keeping it current.

I also concur that a gun with no round in the chamber is nothing more than a club. It is, however, well suited in that condition for use as a hammer to knock down any portruding nailheads.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot ---- Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    If it's legal or not would need to be answered by the local authorities. But even if they say it's ok you definately should not do it. As has been stated already, possibly forgetting it would be a major problem.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links