Proof all cops aren't super observant

This is a discussion on Proof all cops aren't super observant within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I run a Facebook page that is dedicated to carry and restricted to my small town that I live in. I check out everyone who ...

Like Tree51Likes
  • 3 Post By TN_Mike
  • 5 Post By stanislaskasava
  • 5 Post By knight65
  • 4 Post By WMac19
  • 12 Post By Thumper
  • 2 Post By revldm
  • 5 Post By TRX
  • 3 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By 1OldDog2
  • 3 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By paaiyan
  • 1 Post By OhioCatter
  • 2 Post By Okla shooter
  • 1 Post By paramedic70002
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Proof all cops aren't super observant

I run a Facebook page that is dedicated to carry and restricted to my small town that I live in. I check out everyone who wants to join and I ensure they live in the town. It is dedicated to carry, not concealed carry but open to any discussion on open or concealed carry. We have a really good group of people on there and the page membership is around 117 at the moment. Several of the members are county Sheriffs Deputies as well.

Earlier this last week, one o the Deputies, one who is fairly high up in the department in fact, started a thread where he was complaining about people who open carry and how he thinks they look like "tools". His word. He was fairly well beat down by the membership of the page, even the people who are not fans of open carry told him they thought he was being a jerk and that even though they don't open carry, they would not tell someone they shouldn't if that was how they chose to carry.

Interestingly, this same deputy and I had interaction of an official nature last summer when I was asked by a friend to go down to a crime scene in a bad area of Memphis to identify some stolen property of his for him as he was out of state at the time. I did so but, knowing that the area is well known as gang territory and a very high meth production and sales part of town, I was open carrying my Glock 19 that day. It is 100% legal in Tennessee and have never had any trouble from openly carrying.

I ID'ed the property, I talked to this very deputy and several others and then departed the area.

I asked this deputy on the FB page why he had not said anything to me that day about my Open Carrying. Why had he not told me that he did not agree with it or tell me he thought I looked stupid then. He admitted he had not noticed I was open carrying but that even if he had, he would not have said anything because he can keep his personal and professional opinions separate. Which is fine and I appreciate that but, it goes to show, he did not notice a person he knew was a civilian openly carrying a G19 that day. So don't ever think the cops are super human and nothing escapes the notice of them. That just isn't the case. Also, just because they don't say anything to you about your openly carried firearm, doesn't mean they approve.

Food for thought.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Does this deputy open carry, by chance?

He sounds like a tool (his words).

I've been open carrying for several years and some of my buddies are always amazed at how many people, LEOs included, simply do not notice. I'm sure some do notice but if so, they don't seem concerned which is how it should be. A lawful openly armed citizen should be able to mundanely go about their business as boringly (is that a word?) as everyone else.

His answer may have been honest or not, sounds like he was in save-face mode and that's never one for reasoned thought.

As to your point, absolutely. Police are trained extensively but the training is only as good as the instructor and student. In my time with the NYPD, I met and worked with some truly sensational officers and detectives. BUT, there were also a bit too many who should have never been hired.

The good far outweighed the bad but some of the bad were pretty darn obvious. Combination of lowered standards and pushing to fill a number for a pending academy class.

You never know what you're gonna get. Take me, I just took the job for the benefits and never "wanted" to be a cop. Once in though, I realized I had a knack for seeing through everybody's BS, on the street and within. Never took full advantage for myself, I was more likely to pass great info on to another officer than take advantage myself. Or I'd grab a guy for a gun and give it to our collar hungry anti-crime team. I was into doing my job, just had no ambition.

Some, you'd think would be all-world, smart, well-spoken, can handle themselves... But if they don't have a lick of common sense, it's all for nothing. Saw lots of them throughout the years.

Your guy sounds like the type who's a bit too impressed with himself and his opinions, is all. Probably a very decent guy, just a bit short on sense.

Police are just another slice of humanity, you get all kinds.

VIP Member
    So your saying cops aren't "super human"? I was a cop... so, I wasn't "super human"? Gawd, I sure though I was!

All kidding aside, this is why it cracks me up how almost paranoid some concealed carriers are about printing. Most people just aren't paying any attention to you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

It is not just cops. Last week I decided to go to a fast food place for a gravy biscuit. It was cool that morning so I thought I could carry my .45 and wear a light jacket. I put the gun on and did a few things around the house before leaving. I went to the place and got my biscuit. I sat down and ate it then went back home. It was after I got home that I realized I had forgotten to put on the jacket. Open carry is not allowed in my state. There was a cop in the place in line in front of me and other people walking around in the restaurant. No one noticed that I had a gun on my belt in the open! Not even the cop. People just don not seem to notice anything beyond their own little world. I did not do this on purpose, I was just a little absent minded that morning. I was lucky no one saw it or panicked and yelled he has a gun!
    gatorbait51 and Chicagobill like this.

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WMac19 View Post
    Police are trained extensively but the training is only as good as the instructor and student.
    A) gangsta-boy schlepping around with one hand holding his baggies up, something large and heavy trying to pull them down: ALERT

B) normal-looking citizen going about his lawful affairs with his lawfully-open-carried weapon: SKIP

VIP Member
    Luckily, Virginia is a gun friendly state, for both open and concealed carry. I usually open carry and don't have problems. The few times anyone has said anything, none of them have been LEO. The only comments I have ever had from LEO have been to ask what I was carrying and maybe about claiber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If it is legal, I do not give a flying rat's rear end about his personal opinion against it.
    As I understand, people can be arrested and held for a specific time without charges. You can't beat the ride, but it's what happens in court that really matters.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Luckily, Virginia is a gun friendly state, for both open and concealed carry. I usually open carry and don't have problems. The few times anyone has said anything, none of them have been LEO. The only comments I have ever had from LEO have been to ask what I was carrying and maybe about claiber.
    Same here. Tennessee is open or concealed carry legal. If it's legal to carry in a location, it's legal to do so in either manner.

The only times I've had anything other than positive feedback on OC was with a couple of older ladies who ended up being from somewhere in the liberal Northeast who were aghast that I would walk around in public with a gun on. And then it was even worse when I explained to them that as they had been in TN for a week, they had come into contact with many, many armed people who were CCW and they didn't even know it.

The only interactions I've had with cops were usually discussions about either caliber or them asking who made the holster I was carrying in.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It's fairly unrelated, but I once got mad at a cop who was sitting across from me at an intersection. A guy clearly ran a red light, dangerously late as people in the now-green lanes were starting to go. I was so incensed that he completely ignored the guy who ran the light that I didn't pay attention to the fact that there was only a green turn arrow and not a green light for the straight lanes and I ran the light myself when I saw the green. He didn't pull me over either.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    LEO are human as well. You have those who take everything in and you have those who do not. It is all mindset, you either pay attention to the world around you or not.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've always said, if you don't act stupid no one will notice most anything you do
    gatorbait51 and TN_Mike like this.
    When they outlaw guns,only outlaws will have guns.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I know for a fact that cops don't often notice expired vehicle credentials that are made in eye catching color codes.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The post is a good reminder for folks: folks who happen to be in LE are people, too, and obviously subject to many of the same limitations as everyone else.

Wouldn't surprise me that an officer involved in doing one thing wouldn't prioritize very highly the doing of other things in a situation where no threat existed. In the "wrong" situation it might well end up biting a person, at some point, but it's not surprising to me given the OP description of the encounter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links