Open Carrier Attacked?

This is a discussion on Open Carrier Attacked? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is this about Yakima Washington Open Carrier attacked at a walmart? Anyone seen this from a real news agency yet?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Open Carrier Attacked?

Open Carrier Attacked?

What is this about Yakima Washington Open Carrier attacked at a walmart? Anyone seen this from a real news agency yet?
    gatorbait51 and bigpapa like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

The so-called "real news agencies" only cover gun stories if the outcome has an anti-gun message. The Yakima Herald is at least a real newspaper, although they got the headline wrong.

Yakima Herald Republic | Assault victim with concealed weapon stops bat-wielding attacker at east Yakima Wal-Mart

Not a main-line news agency, but some additional info:

Yakima Herald Republic | Assault victim with concealed weapon stops bat-wielding attacker at east Yakima Wal-Mart
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When the enemy is in range, so are you.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Odd.. the april 16 version "charges filed in walmart bat attack" from the same paper says that he was openly carrying his sig on a hot day but had a cc permit. Given the conflicting stories, I will not comment further until we know if he was OCing or not. The citizen did a good job handling the attack though.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    The man was OCing which he rarely does and there was a story on www.Townhall.com stating how he will never OC again.
    The attacker was a known Disturbed Person (DP) with a history of violent batteries. It is believed he wanted the man's sidearm.
    AzQkr and Bark'n like this.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    What is this about Yakima Washington Open Carrier attacked at a walmart? Anyone seen this from a real news agency yet?

PEF will know - somebody should ask him

VIP Member
    I see how OC or CC plays any relevant role in the outcome. The BG made a bad choice..... he went to jail and was lucky he didnt get shot. You cn argue the gun made him a target, but so wouldnt his wallet, cell phone...and in the wrong part of town...his shoes.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I see how OC or CC plays any relevant role in the outcome. The BG made a bad choice..... he went to jail and was lucky he didnt get shot. You cn argue the gun made him a target, but so wouldnt his wallet, cell phone...and in the wrong part of town...his shoes.
    This has indeed happened. More a few have been assaulted and relieved of their Nice New Footwear.

Blaming this attack on OC is akin to blaming a mugging on the fact that you carry a Credit card, wear nice cloths, wear new shoes, You are White, you are Black, you worn a CUBS hat, etc.etc.
    Katana1, gatorbait51 and hdhnict like this.

I had no intent to blame OC for the attack..and sure, he could have attacked him for a phone or tablet. This simply highlights the fact that if someone wants to attack you for [whatever] reason, OC is not always going to deter those who do not reason and weigh circumstances in the same way we do. People keep touting the adage " even a criminal doesnt want to mess with an armed victim".. the fact of the matter is that a great many of them dont care and are not deterred. To a criminal who deals in violence on a regular basis.. the threat of violence may not be the crisis that most law abiding people would deem it. To a violent criminal.. violence may simply be a day at the office and the mere threat of violence is even less significant. People keep wanting to asign a measure of common sense to criminal behaviors which by their very nature are unreasonable. Honestly, I consider this kind of attack to be the most minimal peril associated with OC but it is worth discussion.
    Last edited by Fizban; April 28th, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
    Taurahe, AzQkr and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I had no intent to blame OC for the attack..and sure, he could have attacked him for a phone or tablet. This simply highlights the fact that if someone wants to attack you for [whatever] reason, OC is not always going to deter those who do not reason and weight circumstances in the same way we do. People keep touting the adage " even a criminal doesnt want to mess with an armed victim".. the fact of the matter is that a great many of them dont care and are not deterred. To a criminal who deals in violence on a regular basis.. the threat of violence may not be the crisis that most law abiding people would deem it. To a violent criminal.. violence may simply be a day at the office and the mere threat of violence is even less significant. People keep wanting to asign a measure of common sense to criminal behaviors which by their very nature are unreasonable. Honestly, I consider this kind of attack to be the most minimal peril associated with OC but it is worth discussion.
    I actually agree completely. It is important to discuss as it is a reality anyone who OC's must be aware of, however uncommon it may be. This guy was very lucky..... If he had used a full size bat and hit him in the end the ending may have been very different
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

That is why I don't like some WalMarts. And completely AVOID KMart!
    (Thinking the name of the store, more than the name of the town contributed to events. IMO)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Really, I care about your opinion. It seems reasonable.
    Its just that I've ALREADY decided on something else!
    Hint: Its NOT a Glock.

My googlefu must be weak tonight because nowhere can I find that the open carrier was attacked for his pistol. Best I could find was an article where someone who self identified as the victims father said that he thinks his son was targeted for his firearm and that now his son will follow his advice and conceal carry. Father knows best I guess. Neither the victim nor felon ever stated/claimed that the attack was because of the openly carried fire arm. My best guess and it's only a guess from what I have read is that the felon got "looked" at one too many times by the victim and decided to put a stop to it. A clear case of "the guy looked at me your honor". I wish these stories came with pictures of the victims and the criminals, one picture says a thousand words.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Oh and I looked and looked for articles of open carriers being attacked for/because of their openly carried firearm and could only find 2 stories, this one and one about some crazy dude who saw a man eating at a restaurant with his openly carried pistol and yelled out that he was a DEA agent with video proof that the open carrier was planning to rob the place and attacked the man. Luckily he failed in his attack and was arrested.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Shopper guilty in tackling of man with gun at Walmart

Here is a story today about a guy who attacked an open carry guy thinking he was being some kind of hero. Lucky for him he was not killed. Same story I guess?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Not same story. Yakima is Washington State about as far from Florida as you can get
    Bottom line, when choosing to open carry your awareness and gun retention need to be at there best. One of the reasons I do not OC unless it's unavoidable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links