OC Conversation Advice

This is a discussion on OC Conversation Advice within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So someone brought up in another thread, that kids are at eye height for most people's holsters and as they have no filters, are more ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: OC Conversation Advice

OC Conversation Advice

So someone brought up in another thread, that kids are at eye height for most people's holsters and as they have no filters, are more frequent to ask. So, as a potential OC'er, I can deal with adults in a polite and respectful manner, as I have to have people skills with my job.

But.. when a kid asks you, "Mister, why do you have a gun?" or even worse "Mister, mom said guns are bad, are you a bad guy?" how do you go about these types of questions, not just those specifically. Because you can raise your kids how you want, and I don't want to ruin what you've got going on because "Santa isn't real."

I can't just look the kid in the eye and go, "Because some people want to hurt you real bad little Mikey, and hurt me, and I will shoot to stop the threat." Haha.
    Recon1342 likes this.

"Because I'm one of the people who helps keep everyone else safe!"
    oldman45 and dV8r like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    But.. when a kid asks you, "Mister, why do you have a gun?" or even worse "Mister, mom said guns are bad, are you a bad guy?" how do you go about these types of questions ...
    Pretty simple, from my perspective: "Well, there definitely are some bad guys in the world. If one of them comes after us, we want to be able to stop that from happening, right?"

Will a 3yr old kid get that? Doubt it. Will any 5yr old who's had to suffer through bullies when he/she had no self-defense ability in a situation? Many will start to get it, by then, for all the right reasons. If you got nothin', you got little chance. OTOH, ... Most folks get that, as the logic is impossible to ignore. It's really only brainwashed adulthood that short-circuits the mental acuity most everyone's born with.
    Recon1342 and dV8r like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Brainwashed indeed. See it every day in the men that I have to "care for". Not care about, but care for.

I had this come up only once as I rarely OC.

A little boy about 7 or 8 yrs old pointed at my weapon and rather loudly "ohooo'd & ahh'ed".
    Because they are children, there is of course a parent or parents close by.

Mom apologized and said "He loves guns"

My response was "Great!, I hope he loves safety even more"

It is a better opportunity to educate the parent.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

All good answers guys. I appreciate it. I'm still trying to find a good IWB holster, so this helps me out in answering any questions that might, but probably won't come up. I'll still have to look into signage and all that stuff in regards to Lexington and Kentucky as honestly, I'm not in the habit yet of checking for "don't you dare bring that in here" signs as of now.

TRX
    "Mister, why do you have a gun?"
    "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"
    Submariner and flintlock62 like this.

Distinguished Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    When I was a kid I guess it was a different world.
    Children were to be seen and not heard and certainly not to be talking to strangers.

All good answers guys. I appreciate it. I'm still trying to find a good IWB holster, so this helps me out in answering any questions that might, but probably won't come up. I'll still have to look into signage and all that stuff in regards to Lexington and Kentucky as honestly, I'm not in the habit yet of checking for "don't you dare bring that in here" signs as of now.
    I wouldn't bother looking. If you happen to notice one, you can decide if you want to take it in or not from there. They don't carry weight of law, so if you don't see one or whatever, just leave if asked and you'll be fine. Don't stress about it in this state. OH and TN (among others) are a different story though.

As for IWB holsters, I can't recommend SHTFGear enough. Great product and great service.

VIP Member
    Well, I OC pretty regular when I'm not at work, and I've had this happen only once. I simply said I like to be ready for anything.

As for the signs, I rarely look in advance. I know the places that are prohibited by law. And I have a good feel for the places where I just don't want to draw the attention of the sheep, so I throw on a cover shirt. Otherwise I carry as I like. If I get asked to leave so be it. Signs don't carry force of law so I don't sweat it. I don't go anywhere that I don't have an alternative available.

Like I said to the kid, ready for anything.

ETA: I'm a big hybrid IWB fan. SHTF makes some good stuff, I have one for my 92S. I have several horsehide models from White Hat Holsters. I like the thinner backing of horsehide, and they provide a bit more sweat protection in the summer. I've also got a couple of Galco Kingtuck holsters that I like a lot.
    oldman45 likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

The children will start to find out that their parents view points may just be a little off kilter.
    Submariner likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Literally last week, I wore too light of a shirt in the hardware store. I could have handled it better.

Kid (petting my dog, points at my sidearm): Why do you have a gun?

Me: (mental oops, I CC but printed) Because sometimes there are dangerous animals on the mountain where i live.

Kid's Mom: (stunned, she clearly hadn't registered it) Do you have to bring it in here?

Me: Yes, sometimes there are dangerous animals in parking lots that might steal it out of my car.

Kid: (nods)

Kids Mom: (speechless)

Was worried for a moment, but she held her composure, let her kid finish petting, we exchanged "good days", and parted.
    Rudy in Tennessee - Sig SP2022, Maverick 88, and one really good dog

"Well regulated" shouldn't be confusing...

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    When I was a kid I guess it was a different world.
    Children were to be seen and not heard and certainly not to be talking to strangers.
    Well Bubba I reckon you and I grew up in the same era (50s-60s) cuz I member hearing that A LOT!

The other line I heard frequently was "don't dispute your elders" which for me meant no backtalk to grownups.

The one time I saw someone open carrying was on the side of a mountain trail. He was a big man wearing a red Mackinaw shirt/jacket wearing a huge nickel plated revolver that might have been a Peacemaker in a cowboy rig. I was 11 or 12 at the time and had been lost in the woods. He was a railroad worker who'd heard of the lost kid in the area (me) and was a local volunteer.

He made a huge impression on me.

up!
    michael t and Ianthin like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!!....A Kentucky Rifle behind EVERY BLADE OF GRASS!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

Well Bubba I reckon you and I grew up in the same era (50s-60s) cuz I member hearing that A LOT!

The other line I heard frequently was "don't dispute your elders" which for me meant no backtalk to grownups.
    up!
    Didn't change much in the 70's when I was growing up.

I have just started down the OC path and have actually done it on a couple of occasions now that its fall and I am back to tucked in shirts at work. Great thoughts on how to respond when the question comes up.
    Sarge65 likes this.

Go away kid . Your bothering me . Kids should be seen not heard. If you had need to know I would tell you. I heard a lot of that in 50's not so much in teen years in 60's
    come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994, Colt Officer ACP 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Belleview Detonics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links