Texas Open Carry

Texas Open Carry

This is a discussion on Texas Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any Texas open carry members have any big plans for the new New Years? I heard several members from another forum want to plan a ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Texas Open Carry

Texas Open Carry

Any Texas open carry members have any big plans for the new New Years? I heard several members from another forum want to plan a social meetup on Jan 1, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    Any Texas open carry members have any big plans for the new New Years? I heard several members from another forum want to plan a social meetup on Jan 1, 2016.
    Usually when a group of OCer's have a get together it looks bad. You might have 10 guys that look well groomed and dressed good and two bubbas there with AR's or AK's held at the ready for a photo op at the local Starbucks. More power to ya.

I have always been curious why folks that OC feel the need to have a "get together". For me it is a personal choice on how to carry. It would be like having a get together of folks that wear skinny jeans, or folks that wear Nike shoes...It is just something you do. I have never felt the need or desire to have a group hug and can never understand why others would. Just curious, not a judgment.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Member Array Sliderfusion's Avatar
    I agree with suntzu, but I'll be a bit more vocal. I think a get together to arrogantly show off in public with the largest sidearm you can carry or posing like a "Rambo" wannabe with an AR-15 is just a juvenile and idiotic gesture. Surely people have better things to do than a OC block party. It's just lame!
    "ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!"

Distinguished Member
    Since I don't really plan on carrying openly on or after Jan 1 2016, attending a get together that could very well end up on the news would simply be a way for the entire world to know I have a CHL (for those of you not familiar with Texas law, you must have a CHL license to carry openly). I prefer to keep that to myself, my family, and a few very close friends.

Your choice to do it. My choice to refrain.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

"It is madness for sheep to talk peace with a wolf." -- Thomas Fuller

The 1911: An elegant weapon from a more civilized age...

Distinguished Member Array Spalt's Avatar
    Let's meet at Twin Peaks in Waco. The already have have holes in the walls.

Senior Moderator
    While I'm grateful that open carry passed I won't be taking advantage of it and so will be concealing as usual after January of 2016.
    Camjr, Geezer and Aceoky like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Sure - the only time I'll be OC'ing is to walk the dog around the neighborhood. It will be easier to access my gun if it's not covered by clothing while I'm holding a leash and her water bottle.

We can walk together - she'll even let you carry the pooper scooper.

Honestly though, I agree with the others. Don't be a "Kory" - assembling a group will have bad consequences.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Usually when a group of OCer's have a get together it looks bad. You might have 10 guys that look well groomed and dressed good and two bubbas there with AR's or AK's held at the ready for a photo op at the local Starbucks. More power to ya.

I have always been curious why folks that OC feel the need to have a "get together". For me it is a personal choice on how to carry. It would be like having a get together of folks that wear skinny jeans, or folks that wear Nike shoes...It is just something you do. I have never felt the need or desire to have a group hug and can never understand why others would. Just curious, not a judgment.
    "SUNTZU" Never discount the effectiveness of a "group hug." "Do you need a hug, today?" Lol!!!! No, all humor aside, I agree with you, in that when a group of OC'ers get together in a rally type assembly, it tends to present badly. One-on-one we are some of the most intelligent beings on the planet. But when we come together in mass; we, by and large, become some of the stupidest people on the planet, now throw guns into the equation? And if there's guns, there will, no doubt be ammunition. And all it takes is "one" stupid jerk to spoil it. You're right, not good, and would certainly not be the responsible thing to do.
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

I have a friend who frequents a clothes optional camp site. I wonder if he'll OC now there.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Concealed carry is a genie which will not get back in the bottle, no matter how hard the antis might try. ~ Mike1956

VIP Member
    I am very glad that OC passed but I don't really plan on OCing very often. I also wouldn't go to any kind of rally. I'm not a big fan of drawing attention to myself.
    baren and oldnfat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

Most consider the initiatives associated with self defense to be an intrinsically personal and private matter. There are however, people who view self defense as a mission based political or social movement. I see those personalities as very different and although they may have OC in common, they share no real affinity with each other.
    Chickenrancher and suntzu like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Senior Member Array Chickenrancher's Avatar
    We have OC in Missouri but I carry concealed. The nice thing about having OC is now as a concealed carrier I have no worries if my firearm is inadvertently exposed and never concern myself with possible printing. If I want to go to a gun rights get together though, I'll go hang out at my local gun shop and shoot the bull. Not into public exhibitionism.
    Roger Phillips and Estil like this.

I love the fact that open carry is finally passing. Now I can OC around anytime I want too, but I don't want too!
    I will continue to carry concealed. For me it's just more defensive....
    Fizban and baren like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I won't get involve any OC group and I'll stick CC but I will OC when I feel like it for maybe a day or 2.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Pop Fireworks? As far as OC goes I won't partake in it. Except for when I need to go somewhere and I don't have my .380 to slip in my pocket. The main thing is I can risk carrying in the mall in my area since 30.06 is going to be a Class C.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links