Why not open and concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Why not open and concealed carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the process of getting my LTC, I've been researching whether I would like to carry open or concealed. After learning more about the pros ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Why not open and concealed carry?

In the process of getting my LTC, I've been researching whether I would like to carry open or concealed. After learning more about the pros and cons of each, I started to wonder. Would it not be ideal to do both? An openly carried weapon could deter a criminal and a concealed backup weapon would certainly be a surprise to someone like a bank robber who has already taken your side arm and made you lay on the floor with everyone else. I have no experience or data concerning this, but just a thought.

Whether it'll aid or harm a given situation, as with a criminal running roughshod over a shop full of people ... who knows. Some might be deterred; some might be emboldened; some (probably most) won't see enough to recognize the risk of resistance. And one never knows what sort of perp one's going to be facing, when the SHTF. Might get the dolt. Might get the observant one. Might get the scaredy-cat. No way to know. On-balance, does it help or hurt? Who's to say, one way or the other?

Whether it'll aid or harm you, particularly, with respect to altering your speed of presentation, that'll depend on you, your clothing, your skills.

Whether it'll aid or harm you, socially speaking, with respect to blending into a situation ... that'll depend on where you live, the level of knee-jerk fear type folks out there, etc.

Depends.

For myself, I prefer the element of surprise and remaining the "gray man" out there, when I'm out and about. Not that that necessarily improves or harms the overall odds, given the range of impacts of carrying the means of defense. I'm all for OWB/OC, as it tends to be more comfortable, but it doesn't always work given the venue and my wardrobe. Works for me, whatever the differences, whichever one I choose. I'm comfortable with whatever those pros/cons might be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't see the sense in carrying both concealed and open. The advantage to carrying concealed is that it gives you the advantage of surprise. You've given that away if you're also carrying open.

I think that most bad guys are not all that observant. I've seen video of guy who walked into a convenience store and charged to the front of the line and pulled a gun on the cashier. The two guys waiting in line were uniformed police officers. IMHO Most of them will look to see how many people are in the store, but won't really look at your belt to see if your carrying.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Your decision and you have to make it. For me there is no benefit to OC. I've CCed since it became legal in my state and will continue to do so. I'm old enough to know that I don't want to be the center of attention when out in public and I have nothing to prove anyway.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Frankly there's also the practicality point. Are you gaining anything by doing that that's worth the extra inconvenience of carrying two guns?
    Rhinoman and gatorbait51 like this.
    Rowe/Higgins 2016!

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    I don't see the sense in carrying both concealed and open.
    LCP in a pocket, Desert Eagle in the cowboy holster...

Are you gaining anything by doing that that's worth the extra inconvenience of carrying two guns?
    I'm wearing two right now. Trust me, it's no trouble at all.

You could also argue, as my permit class instructor did (30 year veteran police officer) who do you think the bad guy might shoot first? Guy with the gun on his hip, or the guy he doesn't know is armed?

Senior Member Array highergr0und's Avatar
    Both your scenarios involve letting a BG know you're armed and allowing him to make a decision on your life before you even know the threat exists.

In the first situation, you cross your fingers and hope he chooses a different target and doesn't decide to just shoot you.

In situation number 2, you're advocating giving the BG an extra loaded weapon and allowing him to force you to lay on the ground all as part of an elaborate ruse to allow you to access a BUG? Again, he could just shoot you and with your own gun!!

Strategically, it seems the only benefit to true OC is a fraction of a second on a draw and less of a chance of getting the gun caught in the shirt. I view OC more as a symbolic gesture in everyday life, a tip of the hat to our right to bear arms. Sure, I know some members here are rural and it's just easier for them not to have to deal it.... but they're more likely to need to shoot an animal than a person

I keep my gun concealed, my pistol too.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSR9Lover View Post
    In the process of getting my LTC, I've been researching whether I would like to carry open or concealed. After learning more about the pros and cons of each, I started to wonder. Would it not be ideal to do both? An openly carried weapon could deter a criminal and a concealed backup weapon would certainly be a surprise to someone like a bank robber who has already taken your side arm and made you lay on the floor with everyone else. I have no experience or data concerning this, but just a thought.
    While I haven't put that much planning in it, I often do just that. A primary open carried on my hip, with a back up stashed somewhere else, out of sight.
    AzQkr, gatorbait51 and SteveMac like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

It draws undo attention and fear. Best to keep it concealed.

Senior Member Array Chickenrancher's Avatar
    What ever makes you happy. I choose to conceal carry just one gun.
    tdave and gatorbait51 like this.
    I W N C

Conceal: verb (used with object)1.to hide; withdraw or remove from observation; cover or keep from sight: When you conceal something, no one else knows you have it.

I can OC here, and I do when I'm I'm the woods, but I don't in public.

I don't like unknown people approaching me, with or without badges. I don't want to be questioned on why I need a gun. And I'm not the poster boy (looks wise) for an upstanding looking citizen even though I am, so it's usually a stare down when cops see me anyway, unless they know me personally.

I won't debate OF or CC as long as you're C'ing you get a from me, just don't go looking for problems from people or cops either and I'm cool with whatever.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
    When the zombies come I'll carry carry my Colt .357 on an old Sam Browne belt like Rick Grimes Loaded with Black Talons!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    Frankly there's also the practicality point. Are you gaining anything by doing that that's worth the extra inconvenience of carrying two guns?
    Why do you consider it an "inconvenience" to carry 2 guns?
    Ianthin, gatorbait51 and gabbyh75 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Moving to a new location

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenrancher View Post
    What ever makes you happy. I choose to conceal carry just one gun.
    I carry two but what ever floats your boat.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links