not convinced home vs Carry - Page 2

not convinced home vs Carry

This is a discussion on not convinced home vs Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So most people don't hide a backup or two around their home? If they have them........

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: not convinced home vs Carry

Distinguished Member
    So most people don't hide a backup or two around their home? If they have them.....
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    So most people don't hide a backup or two around their home? If they have them.....
    Most people who own one or more guns or most people who own guns and just happen to be self defense aficionados?
    bill35738 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Senior Member Array 2ndunamended's Avatar
    Need vs. want is a very blurry line in the gun community! We can rationalize almost any want to justify it into a need.

Two handguns makes sense for all the reasons mentioned above, and we haven't even discussed shotguns or rifles. But ultimately, whatever you trust as a carry piece will be more than sufficient for HD as well.

Considerations: if you have a semi auto for carry, a revolver is a great HD choice. It's easy to operate, even for those who don't train a lot (or at all). There's really no reason not to have a revolver; even the capacity argument is largely hypothetical as you'd be hard pressed to find many examples of a homeowner needing more that 5-7 rounds to repel a home invasion.

A duplicate gun for HD and carry- same fire controls, same caliber, great backup if one fails (however unlikely). Another option and example- a compact or subcompact Glock (or whatever brand) for carry and a full size (same brand) in the same caliber at home. The full size mags will usually fit in the smaller gun. At a minimum, two guns in the same caliber as you will be prepared to use ammo interchangeably.

But the best reason for getting a second gun is because it's a second gun. And you can't have three guns without first having two.
    If you're offended by anything I say, I'm offended that you are such a sissy.

NRA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Member
    NRA certified Range Safety Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dennycrane View Post
    I am not convinced I need a gun for my home separate from the one I carry. I carry a gun that comfortable too shoot and has stopping power. wouldn't that be obvious choice for the house.
    Strictly speaking you probably don't "need" a different gun for HD than you use for CCW. However I do use different guns for each role. For CCW I carry as much gun as I can while still being able to conceal it well. For me this is an HK P2000, a great gun but still just a 3.5" barrel and 13 rounds of ammo onboard. At home I'm not limited by the need to carry and conceal the gun so why would I compromise at all? My primary HD handgun is an HK USPf9. It has a longer barrel, a 16 round mag and an Inforce APL. While the P2000 is a great sidearm the USP is a little bit more capable.

And of course, I don't rely solely on a handgun at home! If I could conceal an AR15 at the coffee shop or theater believe me, I would! Since I can't I carry a sidearm. In my own home I'm going to give myself every advantage, especially since I don't need to hump it around all day. If bad guys attempt a home invasion I will respond with an AR15 set up with an Aimpoint, a WML and 30 rounds of 70gr GMX ammo. Few handguns have that level of lethality and firepower. There's a good reason that soldiers carry rifles instead of sidearms. If I can't get to my real rifle my backup plan is my Beretta CX4 Storm carbine. It's 9mm too but has a 30 round mag, an RDS and light and a 16" barrel. The longer barrel adds a few hundred fps of velocity vs a pistol.

Aside from power a long gun is simply a lot easier to shoot well. I would challenge you to shoot any normal qualification course repeatedly, first with the handgun and then with a long gun. There's no question that the long gun is easier. It's faster to get hits and more precise due to having four points of contact with your body vs just two with a handgun.

I certainly don't think there's anything really wrong with having a sidearm for home defense but I can't imagine deliberately choosing one over a long gun like a shotgun or rifle if you have a choice.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Senior Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    Since the word "need" was used, I too agree there is likely no real need. Plenty through the ages have done fine with a single firearm. But, since it is easy to rationalize purchases, and since many of us don't require arm twisting to add to the collection, having numerous firearms is just easy and fun to do. I usually carry a smaller firearm than is the one on my nightstand at home, but I didn't make that conscious decision out of a sense of need - more just preference.
    Last edited by CAS_Shooter; February 17th, 2017 at 05:19 AM.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

If your just talking pistols thats one thing but cc'ing a long gun is tricky. You will also come to appreciate the fact that carrying a glock 43 is much easier and more comfortable than carrying a glock 21.

Clint Smith at his finest, as always !
    OD*, rcsoftexas, Old Man and 1 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    it all starts so innocently as a 1 gun owner! ;)

You don't "need" separate guns but, like some have said I leave two guns at home always when I am gone for my wife, one upstairs and one down because she does not carry but, at least has some access in the home. Actually three because there is a loaded 12 gauge as well. My go to HD gun is a GP100 so capacity is not a concern to me. It is a gun we both shoot well (My wife just hates autos) and my other HD gun is a 5 shot 38 special. Both my carry guns are autos (.380/9mm) with 7+1 capacity so you can see I am not very concerned with carrying lots of ammo. The GP100 is my woods/camping open carry only. Carry and defend your home as you see fit. I am covered in my little rural corner of the world.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Capacity is the typical factor for HD, whereas concealment is more inline for carry.

Or one can do like I do, carry a Glock 30 with a 10-round mag but insert G21 13-round mag when at home.
    Finally! Somebody else that carries a Glock 30
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    "It's always good to be underestimated" - Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by johndp1911 View Post
    Finally! Somebody else that carries a Glock 30
    You're are not alone my friend... Glock 30 SF Club
    Last edited by WuLiPuOva; February 17th, 2017 at 10:54 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Rc, I don't think I can afford a back-up wife!
    I live in Utah where back-up wives are not necessarily common, but not unknown either. I've been trying to talk my wife into the sister wife concept, but so far, no such luck...

Of course, the back-up wife is essential to carry the back-up gun. (or at least not to get dinged for straying off topic)
    Hoganbeg and 2nd_is_1st like this.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.
    A proud member of that "vast right wing conspiracy", and an infidel to boot!

Two is one. One is none...
    OD*, Hoganbeg, G26Raven and 3 others like this.

I used to have HD guns hidden and scattered all over the house. Then I got married and now have a 3 year old. All the HD guns are now looked in the safe and the only gun I have out is the gun that is in my pocket or on my hip. This works fine for me and I don't have to worry about little hands finding something they don't need to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    forester58 and rcsoftexas like this.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    If one feels a backup is necessary, then carry/hide/own as many as one needs. I, on the other hand, have never had a firearm that failed to operate as advertised during many years of shooting and hunting. Not once. Never needed to have a gunsmith fix an inoperative/un-reliable gun. Never had a magazine that didn't function 100%.

The one repair I had was a S&W 4566 with a broken trigger play spring that didn't affect operation. The one "reliability" issue I've had was trying to get my Glock 30 to feed SWC reloads. It simply does not like then for whatever reason, but all other ammo--including reloads--work fine.

Maybe I'm just bless with good firearm luck, but apparently some of you are firearm Murphys.
    rcsoftexas and bill35738 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links