not convinced home vs Carry - Page 3

not convinced home vs Carry

This is a discussion on not convinced home vs Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet Capacity is the typical factor for HD, whereas concealment is more inline for carry. Or one can do like I do, ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: not convinced home vs Carry

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Capacity is the typical factor for HD, whereas concealment is more inline for carry.

Or one can do like I do, carry a Glock 30 with a 10-round mag but insert G21 13-round mag when at home.
    OldVet got it exactly right!! Concealment for carry; Capacity for HD.
    rcsoftexas and ExGM like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by dennycrane View Post
    I am not convinced I need a gun for my home separate from the one I carry. I carry a gun that comfortable too shoot and has stopping power. wouldn't that be obvious choice for the house.
    I agree....except the barrel on my Mav88 sticks too far out of my pocket when I cc it.......just sayin..
    rcsoftexas and Phaedrus like this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    One of my uncles, WWII Vet, keeps a loaded long gun hidden in almost every room. Definitely not a paranoid thing. All six of his WWII vet brothers stay prepared the same way. So one day I inquired what threats he maintains a state of preparedness for.

He lives outside the city, up State New York, on a farm alone now. Guns have always been hidden from before the time his wife passed and more since 911. They believed in always being prepared for any scenario, from bad guy human to an animal predator. Long guns for both safety and personal choice.He does CCW all the time. None have ever experienced a domestic bad guy issue but have taken out animal predators?

Again, just as what gun you choose to carry, I feel it is a personal conscience decision.
    Might I also add, this is an open discussion and not an attempt to convince you, THE OP, to change anything you feel is best for you.
    Doogie, G26Raven and Phaedrus like this.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    One of my uncles, WWII Vet, keeps a loaded long gun hidden in almost every room.
    My Uncle was like that. he had at least 5 1911s scattered around his house all cocked & locked. My Dad was the exact opposite.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    Some people just have that protective gene on a higher level, taking their own natural born instincts along with life lessons learned to different levels. A valuable trait. Did I mention they ar Lebanease American citizens?
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Generally, what I carry during the day is what's ready at home too. But, those times I'm carrying a snubby or similar really small gun when out and about, I'll probably put that away and get out a double-stack auto at home.
    I find I generally do the opposite.
    Out and about its the double stack. Keeps the volume of ammo with me.
    At home it's the snub. Enough ammo to get to the (open when I'm home) safe with the long guns.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    Some people just have that protective gene on a higher level, taking their own natural born instincts along with life lessons learned to different levels. A valuable trait. Did I mention they ar Lebanease American citizens?
    I have that same protective gene and as a result have worn a "cup" full time ever since I reached puberty.

A little uncomfortable at certain times but I do feel secure!!
    rcsoftexas and G26Raven like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    OldVet got it exactly right!!
    I always am. You should know that by now.
    bill35738 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If one feels a backup is necessary, then carry/hide/own as many as one needs. I, on the other hand, have never had a firearm that failed to operate as advertised during many years of shooting and hunting. Not once. Never needed to have a gunsmith fix an inoperative/un-reliable gun. Never had a magazine that didn't function 100%.

The one repair I had was a S&W 4566 with a broken trigger play spring that didn't affect operation. The one "reliability" issue I've had was trying to get my Glock 30 to feed SWC reloads. It simply does not like then for whatever reason, but all other ammo--including reloads--work fine.

Maybe I'm just bless with good firearm luck, but apparently some of you are firearm Murphys.
    Your not alone. I have had one stovepipe on the first mag of a brand new gun and one factory high primer that stopped a revolver in almost 40 years of shooting. Absolutely no other malfunction or repair. I forget to even practice clearing drills because I have not had any opportunity to practice for real. I have bought other peoples broken guns for cheap and repaired them and never had them break again. I have a old Stevens 12 gauge pump I traded for a 12 pack and fixed for $18 after running down an old gun parts warehouse and a 22 semi auto I bought after the guy I was shooting with threw it down in disgust one day. $20 dollars and after cleaning it has run perfect for 20 years. The guy never cleaned it until it became a jam-o-matic. I guess its why I expect guns to run right out of the box without all this break-in nonsense.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

i have many guns to choose from. but my carry is the one at hand most nights. more so cause i am too lazy to get another one out of the safe.

but no matter as the pistol is just to get to my long gun anyhow.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My carry gun is smaller, less capacity. If someone invades your home, like three armed people, it might take more than 10 rounds to stop them.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

My M&P9 serves as both my carry gun and HD pistol. 18 rounds. I keep it in arm's reach while I'm home, but usually don't actively carry it...though it is on my person now because I'm getting ready to leave the house here in a few. I also keep a loaded 12 gauge Maverick 88 in the bedroom, safety on. It's loaded with Federal 00 buck.

I also have a Ruger P89DC, though it's mainly a range gun. Only 10 round mags, and too bulky to conceal comfortably.
    Last edited by Boomstick75; February 17th, 2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Add info

Generally speaking..when someone considers a carry gun, its usually a compromise between what you really want and what you are willing to carry. The result is usually a smaller gun with less capacity. The opposite is true when considering a house gun. A house gun does not have to be carried or concealed so it is usually a more capable firearm since there are not many restriction applied to that selection. If your carry gun answer all your needs and desires.. great.

My house gun is a big bore 44 revolver which remains in the nightstand for use by me or my wife. I sure as heck am not going to EDC that thing. LOL
    OldVet likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I have many firearms, but do not have a dedicated "house" gun. The firearm put on in the morning, I carry around the house all day, leave the house with, and later, sit on my night stand when I go to bed is my house gun for the day is my house gun. I don't switch back and forth, or put one up and take out another when I leave, come home, or go to bed....

if not for the weight and length i would carry my primary home gun.
    to carry away out in public, a comprise must be done.

the "power" is irrelevant here. only size, weight matter.
    but one should not choose a under powered loading. over just having a very small pistol on them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links