The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll

This is a discussion on The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The proposed legislation will make it legal to carry concealed in an alcohol-serving establishment as long as you don't consume any alcohol. I can live ...

View Poll Results: How do you OC at the watering hole?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lock it up in the car and don't carry at all.

37 31.36%
  • Simply expose the weapon in its IWB holster.

49 41.53%
  • Change from an IWB holster to an OWB holster.

5 4.24%
  • I carry OWB anyway so I just take off the cover.

27 22.88%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll

The proposed legislation will make it legal to carry concealed in an alcohol-serving establishment as long as you don't consume any alcohol. I can live with that.

I have been open-carrying in southeastern Virginia restaurants for a couple of years without receiving any reactions from customers, wait staff, managers or owners. It's really a non-issue. You just have to holster it in a way that you can quickly switch from concealed to open. If I'm carrying my compact Glock, it's in an IWB holster, so I just tuck the shirt in behind the Gun (known as "the Virginia Tuck"). If I'm pocket carrying my Kel-Tec, I have a paddle holster in the car so I can reholster without undoing pants, belts, etc.

Others have made too big a deal about police response to open carryers. It only affects a minority of our community and probably won't happen to you. If it does, just obey the officer(s), but know the law and your rights.

2. Remove Ads

Amazing...it's ILLEGAL to carry concealed where alcohol is served, but OK to carry open? I'd do it the other way around!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Amazing...it's ILLEGAL to carry concealed where alcohol is served, but OK to carry open? I'd do it the other way around!
    Thats what I been trying to figure out myself
    Think twice
    Buy once!

It's a tough call. I never OC, cause I don't want the hassle myself. Just try to avoid those places and go somewhere else if you can.

Here in KY, I have the same problem. Restaurants that serve alcohol are okay as long as 51% of their income comes from food. In other word's Applebees in okay, but not a bar, drinking or not.

Problem is I also play in a band almost every weekend, so I can't carry 90% of the time. Talking about feeling naked.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Terry...Check your state statutes. In Arizona it's legal for a bar employee to carry. Don't know if a band member constitutes an employee, but might be worth the research.

Open Carry

I live in Lorton Va and open carry almost exclusivly. I eat in restaurants all over Woodbridge, Springfield and NOVA generaly and have never had a negative encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Trying to fathom the Politician/Beaurocrat mentality isn't easy for most sane people. (Does that man I have an unfair advantage? OUCH!!)
    You - we - think like reasonable, responsible, self-regulating people. However, from the standpoint of the "Sheepherders," WE'RE the ones that are hard to understand. Thus, if a drunken fool decides to (for example) hit on your wife and trouble ensues, the LEO's, management, and even the sot on the barstool next to you would be "safer" if they knew that you might "draw down" on this unwanted suitor.
    Or, if you're drinking excessively while carrying, the bartender can call the authorities and report a "drunk with a gun" - if it's visible.
    As if a publicly "drunk & disorderly" fool has proper respect for the law. Pshaw!
    Stupid, I know, but we're talking about "sheepherders" - still sheep, but with control issues. (I can't think of anything else to call them.)

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I just OC'd into Texas Roadhouse tonight, like I have every single other time I've gone there... or the Olive Garden, or Applebee's, or the Japanese steakhouse that my wife and I (and JD and Lima) frequent (too often!)... or any other ABC on restaurant in VA. I've never even gotten a second look, let alone a freak-out by a sheep. Then again, this is Lynchburg - not NoVA. It may be legal for you to OC there, but it is just as legal for them to refuse to serve you or ask you to put it in the car. What I think it comes down to is don't be too conscious of it - walk with a sense of purpose, like it's no big deal that you have a gun on your hip - it's not. If you don't feel or look out of place with a gun, most sheep will probably just dismiss you as a good guy... but you always run the risk of someone freaking out. It sucks, but NoVA likes to try to make its own (illegal according to the state) laws about guns in public.

Senior Moderator
    We open carry.

The VCDL has a list of "gun friendly" places that do not freak (or is it gun UNfriendly places that DO freak? I can't remember which) when they see the open carried firearm because they understand the law and once we have gone to a place and established that we are not going to be harassed we pretty much call it home.

There are a few restaurants that we have frequented that have not so much as blinked when we walked in, exposed guns and all, and there are others that have looked sideways at us, but we've never been asked to leave and no officers have showed up either.

There are also the ways of making your gun less obvious. Just because you have to open carry doesn't mean you have to have a flashing neon sign sign that says "I have a gun."

I am right handed so I try to walk against the wall so as not to flash everyone.

I'll swing my purse over my right shoulder to block view of the gun from the front and I'll sit in a booth with my gun side to the wall.

None of that is "concealing" because it's still open, it's just being.... discrete.

More often than not I feel that no one even notices a darned thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I would leave it in the vehicle.
    Personally, I see no reason to unnecessarily disturb folks, and I think that is what would happen with open carry.
    Jerry
    On the other hand, although I too would hesitate to volunteer to be the object of such harassment, if MORE people saw MORE guns in MORE places, even the dullest of sheep (and LEO's) would eventually catch on that it's NOT a crime to carry.
    It's much like the curse of "Political Correctness" - even though it may nothing to do with what's RIGHT, the good people (by virtue of being good people) try to spare the fools the inconvenience of seeing/hearing/knowing anything outside of their own little mental bubbles.
    It's the curse of being the good people - we naturally tend to care as much about the fools as we do ourselves, while the fools care only about the fools.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

It's not that big of a deal in NoVA. Anytime I'm awake, I'm carrying where legal (which obviously includes the abc places). I've carried open regularly in just about every major restaurant up and down the Route7 corridor in NoVA from at least as far east as the Tysons/Vienna area, Herndon/Sterling/Ashburn/Leesburg areas, and all the way west to Winchester. I've never had any issues myself. I've heard of one or two issues from a couple of local folks that frequent the OC forum.

Typically my routine from car to seating inside consists of the following:
    1. Get out of car
    2. Tuck in my shirt if it isn't already or complete the "VA Tuck".

If I know I'm going out to a restaurant I usually make myself presentable and tuck the shirt in anyway before I leave the house. Which only leaves taking off my leather jacket when I go inside during the cold months.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm not in Va but if I were I would open carry. The gun will do you no good in the car. Virginia is a pretty conservative place and I don't think most people would care whether you have a gun on your hip or not. Unless the resturant has posted no weapons just pull your shirt up.

IMO it would be a good idea if we got over this fear of what peoples reaction to us is going to be. If you look like a hood then you might scare someone. Otherwise a person is as likely to think you are off duty LEO as anything else. And I am in no way advocating that anyone start adopting the mindset that they are anything like an officer, that would be a big mistake. But if it's legal to carry then I'm going to carry.

not a problem i have where i live, but if i did, i would do as lima said and 'discreetly carry'
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    ......Here in KY, I have the same problem. Restaurants that serve alcohol are okay as long as 51% of their income comes from food. In other word's Applebees in okay, but not a bar, drinking or not.......
    The problem with Virginia is that Applebees style restaurants are out of bounds for concealed carry. Any of the sit down style restaurants that you order from a waitress is pretty much open carry only.

So unless you want to go to McDonalds...you're pretty much screwed...no choice other than to open carry in almost all but fast food places. Va. also doesn't have 'bars', all places that serves alcohol must serve food.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have always just left my firearm in my vehicles sadly. I have a fear of OC ever since I was at the grocery store before I hade my CHL and the kid behind the register asked me what kind of gun I had on me. Ever since then I feel like everyone is staring when I OC. My other issue is that everytime I've been out to eat lately we've been out with family members and pretty much all of them would probably freak out. Plus I don't think that they need to know I carry. So I don't bring it up or let them see that I do. I think the next time I take my wife out to diner I will open carry and try to get over my fear. Best of luck to you. And hopefully the VCDL will be able to get this dumb law(IMO) over turned!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links