The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll - Page 3

The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll

This is a discussion on The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open carry has always been legal in Arizona (but not in liquor establishments) and I've seen a huge difference in people's attitudes. 20 years ago, ...

View Poll Results: How do you OC at the watering hole?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lock it up in the car and don't carry at all.

37 31.36%
  • Simply expose the weapon in its IWB holster.

49 41.53%
  • Change from an IWB holster to an OWB holster.

5 4.24%
  • I carry OWB anyway so I just take off the cover.

27 22.88%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll

Open carry has always been legal in Arizona (but not in liquor establishments) and I've seen a huge difference in people's attitudes. 20 years ago, an open weapon would never get a second glance. With the invasion of Californians taking over our cheaper real estate and cost of living, things are changing. I don't know which is worse, CA or Illegal Immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I don't know which is worse, CA or Illegal Immigrants!
    Is there a difference?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    The problem with Virginia is that Applebees style restaurants are out of bounds for concealed carry. Any of the sit down style restaurants that you order from a waitress is pretty much open carry only.

So unless you want to go to McDonalds...you're pretty much screwed...no choice other than to open carry in almost all but fast food places. Va. also doesn't have 'bars', all places that serves alcohol must serve food.
    Lets hear it for IHOP, Cracker Barrel, and Bob Evans!

It's not a big deal to me, Applebees and Ruby Tuesdays keep shrinking their menus, haven't been to the Long Horn in a while either.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    It's a tough call. I never OC, cause I don't want the hassle myself. Just try to avoid those places and go somewhere else if you can.

Here in KY, I have the same problem. Restaurants that serve alcohol are okay as long as 51% of their income comes from food. In other word's Applebees in okay, but not a bar, drinking or not.

Problem is I also play in a band almost every weekend, so I can't carry 90% of the time. Talking about feeling naked.
    I assume you ask to see their P&L (income statement) before entering!!

I'm suprised that through this thread, nobody touched on the VA Senate's upcoming bill to eliminate this silliness. If it passes, conceald carry will be allowed in ABC establishments provided the holder is not drinking.

Lemme double check the article and I'll post up a link if I haven't already been beaten to the punch.

EDIT: Here it is...
    LIS > Bill Tracking > SB476 > 2008 session
    Last edited by PatP; January 18th, 2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by PatP View Post
    I'm suprised that through this thread, nobody touched on the VA Senate's upcoming bill to eliminate this silliness. If it passes, conceald carry will be allowed in ABC establishments provided the holder is not drinking.

Lemme double check the article and I'll post up a link if I haven't already been beaten to the punch.

EDIT: Here it is...
    LIS > Bill Tracking > SB476 > 2008 session
    Thanks, Pat. Great news. It's been said numerous times in this threat but bears repeating. It's a ridiculous law. No self respecting (or law abiding) CCP holder would EVER drink while carrying (or carry while drinking) - so whether we're open or concealed... we're dry.

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    I have always just left my firearm in my vehicles sadly.
    Me too - which raises concerns for me every time I do it. Did someone see? Now that person knows a) I'm unarmed and (worse) b) where they can get a free firearm which can't be traced to them, etc.

I've always been tempted to open carry but besides dealing with the requisite objections from the wife, NOVA AIN'T VA - hell, Alexandria (where I live) AIN'T WOODBRIDGE... Trust me, around here, if people can see a gun, they expect to see a badge. Like many posters, I don't think I want the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I'm sorry If I took a somewhat aggressive stance and do apoligize.
    Expecially to the my DYKEs class.
    No worries, man. Honestly, I thought you were 99... which is the ONLY reason I felt like mixing it up. Sorry for snapping. Who was your dyke? My rat was Nate Gilbert who did me the favor of not taking a rat his first class year and effectively ending my dykeline... oh well, I ask myself why these things matter, but you know as well as I do, they just do. You living in the NOVA area? I'll buy you a beer (when we're not carrying, of course).

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    Thanks, Pat. Great news. It's been said numerous times in this threat but bears repeating. It's a ridiculous law. No self respecting (or law abiding) CCP holder would EVER drink while carrying (or carry while drinking) - so whether we're open or concealed... we're dry.

Me too - which raises concerns for me every time I do it. Did someone see? Now that person knows a) I'm unarmed and (worse) b) where they can get a free firearm which can't be traced to them, etc.

I've always been tempted to open carry but besides dealing with the requisite objections from the wife, NOVA AIN'T VA - hell, Alexandria (where I live) AIN'T WOODBRIDGE... Trust me, around here, if people can see a gun, they expect to see a badge. Like many posters, I don't think I want the hassle.

No worries, man. Honestly, I thought you were 99... which is the ONLY reason I felt like mixing it up. Sorry for snapping. Who was your dyke? My rat was Nate Gilbert who did me the favor of not taking a rat his first class year and effectively ending my dykeline... oh well, I ask myself why these things matter, but you know as well as I do, they just do. You living in the NOVA area? I'll buy you a beer (when we're not carrying, of course).
    NO FREAKING WAY I KNOW EXACTLY WHO YOU ARE. Nate was my Rat Roomate. I was Poole's RAT, You used to smoke with us all the time, and chew right next to the X.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Terry...Check your state statutes. In Arizona it's legal for a bar employee to carry. Don't know if a band member constitutes an employee, but might be worth the research.
    I checked out the Ky statues, and your right an employee can carry.

Now I just need to make sure I am considered an employee while in the band. Gotta love this legal stuff.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

JD
    Administrator
    OK guys, this is the only time were going to cover this little part.

There are now two deleted posts in this thread, if anyone so much as tries to engage in an OC vs. CC debate, I'm going to BAN YOU REGARDLESS of what side of the fence you're on.

For the forum policy regarding OC see THIS THREAD

We are soooo not going down that path again.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    PITbull,
    PM EMAIL IMBOUND
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    Trust me, around here, if people can see a gun, they expect to see a badge.
    Hey, I can use my CCW badge!

Sponsor
    I wish we had the option. In Ohio there is a complete weapons ban in drinking establishments, regardles as to whether it is a bar or a restaurant.
    When I'm in VA I open carry when I enter a restaurant that serves alcohol. In Ohio I don't go to alcohol serving establishments unless I intend on drinking, in which case I leave my weapon at home (this does not happen often).
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Fathoming the Minds of Bureaucrats

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    Trying to fathom the Politician/Beaurocrat mentality isn't easy for most sane people.
    The Virginia law, as it stands today, is the result of a compromise made when gun rights legislators were trying to get "shall issue" concealed carry legislation passed. They coudn't get it done without allowing the anti's to get the restaurant ban clause into the law. Since they were discussing concealed carry, only concealed carry was banned by the law. The law does not make open carry legal in regard to restaurant carry; it's just silent on open carry. Since open carry is not made to be illegal, it remains legal and that's what we have been doing because it's the only way to keep our guns on us.

And forget the specifics of restaraunt carry; in the bigger picture, VA law does not legalize open carry. It only says that concealed carry is illegal, unless done with a Concealed Handgun Permit. Since it never addressed open carry, open carry is generally legal.
    Last edited by jofrdo; January 19th, 2008 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added paragraph

I occasionally OC in or around town but it can be a real hassle . I prefer to keep it to myself and keep it quiet. Just my .02
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    If I know I'm going out specifically to eat I will carry OWB with shirt tucked. If I'm just out and about and decide to eat I do the VA tuck and go ahead and go in. So far I has never had anyone say anything to me about wearing a weapon.
    This has been the norm for me everywhere I go here in VA. I live in the Richmond area, but work takes me all over central VA.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links