The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll - Page 4

The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll

This is a discussion on The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those interested: http://www.vcdl.org/letters/VASP_OPEN.pdf http://www.vcdl.org/letters/ABC_Letter.pdf...

View Poll Results: How do you OC at the watering hole?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lock it up in the car and don't carry at all.

37 31.36%
  • Simply expose the weapon in its IWB holster.

49 41.53%
  • Change from an IWB holster to an OWB holster.

5 4.24%
  • I carry OWB anyway so I just take off the cover.

27 22.88%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll

VIP Member
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Get a car safe so it's not stolen in a "smash and grab" and leave it in the car. These work great:

Store Front

Recommend you do a search...this has been covered many times previously. I open carry when going into a restaurant that has an ABC license to consume alcohol on the premises; I do not drink.

I do not recommend you leave it in the car...the only thing stopping someone from taking it is a piece of glass. Not to mention, if you try to take it out of your holster, there is a greater probabilty of a ND when trying to unholster covertly. If you wish to carry in VA and eat in restaurants, I recommend you become comfortable with open carry.

Hopefully we (VCDL) will be successful in getting the ban of concealed carry in restaurants overturned this year.

Are you a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Granted: I think this OC only law is stupid,and seemingly in place so they can discourage people to carry into ABC places,...

Va is a pre-empted state,and opencarry is FULLY legal. Unforuntately nobody likes to exercise the rights that we DO have,yet complain when we lose rights.

I've yet to find a resteraunt I really,REALLY enjoy with the exception of a couple italian places,locally. (One of wich,the OCDO ladies is a waitress,w00t)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    The proposed legislation will make it legal to carry concealed in an alcohol-serving establishment as long as you don't consume any alcohol. I can live with that.

I have been open-carrying in southeastern Virginia restaurants for a couple of years without receiving any reactions from customers, wait staff, managers or owners. It's really a non-issue. You just have to holster it in a way that you can quickly switch from concealed to open. If I'm carrying my compact Glock, it's in an IWB holster, so I just tuck the shirt in behind the Gun (known as "the Virginia Tuck"). If I'm pocket carrying my Kel-Tec, I have a paddle holster in the car so I can reholster without undoing pants, belts, etc.

Others have made too big a deal about police response to open carryers. It only affects a minority of our community and probably won't happen to you. If it does, just obey the officer(s), but know the law and your rights.
    what legislation?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    what legislation?
    Post #35 in this thread has the link.

LINK TO SENATE BILL

VCDL and friends have been trying for nearly 12 years now. Maybe this year.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I agree with one of the preious posters. I would open carry but use discretion. 1. Keep your weapon toward the wall. 2. Sit where the weapon is not readily visible to other patrons in the restaurant.

Wait....this is what I do even when concealed...

I would leave it in the vehicle. Personally, I see no reason to unnecessarily disturb folks ...
    Unnecessary? If defense of one's life isn't justification enough, I don't know what is. One cannot possibly know when or where a crime might occur. So unless one has it readily accessible then, in the case of needing it for self-defense, it's merely an inaccessible paper weight.

I see no reason to disturb folks. I also see no reason their problems with legal carry should disturb anyone. Such concerns hardly warrant legal force to be employed as a salve for their fears. Someone's problem with my carrying remains his/her problem, if it's legal. He/she will simply have to get over it.

But then, Virginia seems to have had it's share of instances of heavy-handed treatment of licensed carriers the past couple of years.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

anybody know the status of the Va bills to legalize restaurant carry?

I would leave it in the vehicle. Personally, I see no reason to unnecessarily disturb folks ...
    -------------------------------------------

I wonder how many guns were left in the car at the Killeen (Tx) Luby's? At least one that we know of...

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I believe the law is to prevent people that become stupid when alcohol is added from becoming any more a problem than they already are. Most states don't allow consumption while carrying anyway.
    Bad things can happen around beer IMO no carry near alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
    I live in Lorton Va and open carry almost exclusivly. I eat in restaurants all over Woodbridge, Springfield and NOVA generaly and have never had a negative encounter.
    I live in SE Virginia, and like Jason, I've had no trouble carrying open in resturants. But I do it reluctantly, usually only when I'm going to be out and about before and after the resuturant visit. I'm not sure I'd be so secure as in other areas, like NOVA, where there are so fewer hunters, outdoor sportsmen, and other friendly rednecks.

Every few years there seems to be some "confusion" here in NOVA. I recollect reading about a misunderstanding at a pizza restaurant in Manassas and an uninformed call to 911 at a sports bar in Reston. I obey the Law. I do not like disarming myself and I do not like leaving a weapon unattended even when it is locked in a car. I look forward to the Law being updated.

I concealed carry whenever I can. I open carry when I am forced to, usually through some unplanned circumstances. If I plan to go to place that will not let me carry then I am usually with friends, dress a bit more defensively, and carry other permissible defensive devices if allowed.

On a couple of occasions when I have open carried, I'm wearing a suit and my best leather belt and holster. I've had wait staff and managers ask me if I am law enforcement and I tell them the truth, that I am not law enforcement, that I am here for quiet dinner. I've never personally had a problem and tend to get greeted as a favorite customer on return visits.

I suggest open carry. But just as you dress to carry concealed, I suggest that you try and dress for the different Situational Awareness when you know you will have to open carry.
    Last edited by gglockster; January 31st, 2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    I believe the law is to prevent people that become stupid when alcohol is added from becoming any more a problem than they already are. Most states don't allow consumption while carrying anyway.
    Bad things can happen around beer IMO no carry near alcohol.
    Im a normally mellow guy; the only threat of trouble I've really experienced has been the other guy drinking too much and getting obnoxious. Although I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't be "drinkin' an'packin'," there also is no reason that we should risk being victims of a drunken fool just because we happenned to decide to have a dinner out the same place that an irresponsible person gets rambunctious. Put plainly, if I take my wife out (for example) for an anniversary dinner, it's not my fault if someone else wants to get rawdy at that restaurant. I steadfastly refuse to take responsibility for that person's idiocy, but that's what I'm effectively doing if I adapt to accommodate him. I didn't make him rawdy. He is the problem, and I refuse to be his victim (or allow my wife to be), just because he decided to get drunk where we wanted to eat.
    IN OTHER WORDS: Let's get back to PERSONAL RESPONSIBLILITY for our actions!!
    If I get falling-down drunk while packin' and driving a rig, send MY butt to jail - it's not your fault if I'm a fool, so it shouldn't affect your rights.
    Anyways, that's my story and I's stickin' to it!!!

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I was in Richmond today at the Assembly lobbying for the smoke free Va bill as part of my professional group. I also lobbied for SB 746 and was able to speak with Senator Quayl who is on the Justice committee of the Senate. He assured me he supports the bill. I missed asking my representative about the House bill. Crossover day is next week so good or bad we will know if its passed by then

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links