The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll - Page 6

The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll

This is a discussion on The Virginia Two-Step: Restaurants-Open Carry or Car? :MERGED now w/ poll within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes It's really not that difficult. Since I read the post about your first time open-carrying, I guess it's gotten easier since ...

View Poll Results: How do you OC at the watering hole?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lock it up in the car and don't carry at all.

37 31.36%
  • Simply expose the weapon in its IWB holster.

49 41.53%
  • Change from an IWB holster to an OWB holster.

5 4.24%
  • I carry OWB anyway so I just take off the cover.

27 22.88%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    It's really not that difficult.
    Since I read the post about your first time open-carrying, I guess it's gotten easier since then.

To which my mother replied, "Yes, it is! And you should see her shoot. She's better than Annie Oakley.
    An excellent response by your mother, I have to say!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I OC Frequently

Pitbull,

Whenever the wife and I go out to dinner, whenever I step thru the door of a restaurant that serves alcohol for on-premises consumption, I simply uncover.

I live south of Fredericksburg and north of Richmond, so we go to Ashland/Glen Allen a lot...and I've not had any issues with OC in any of the restaurants we've been in. The most I've gotten was surprised looks.

Cheers,

J.R.

Honestly, I seem to think that in Northern Virginia, people either are

a) used to it
    b) don't pay enough attention to notice the gun
    3) don't mind it, or
    4) think you are an LEO of some sort

I usually OC rather then leave in the car in serving restaurants, and its never a big deal. I think I've had one question as to what make/model/caliber of weapon I was carrying.

That being said, I'm lucky to have to spend so much time in Virginia, as the state that I live in (MD), if we ever got shall-issue status would probably regulate it so that your car would be the only place you could carry. :(

I just untuck my Cross Breed Super Tuck. The Govenor vetoed the bill that allows concealed carry in restaraunts ...sigh ...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Before I would leave the CCW in the car, now I see it as more opportunity for either an ND or someone seeing it and breaking into my car for it. So now I just tuck it and act like it's not there. Most of the time I wouldn't even go to such places, but I can't pass on dinner every single time I get asked.

Does the governor get the "1" license plate or does the AG get that? Whomever gets that plate passed me last night on Powhite in a gold bimmer at a rather high rate of speed during rush hour to make it to the Forest Hill Avenue exit after the JRB.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Amazing...it's ILLEGAL to carry concealed where alcohol is served, but OK to carry open? I'd do it the other way around!
    In Maine, open cary is fine everywhere except a place that sells/consumes liquor, then you must CCW or leave it outside.

I will be in Alexandria for a couple of days next month. I have never carried in VA and am in the process of studying up on all the laws, but I do have a question.

I carry in a Crossbreed that sits rather low in the pants. only a little bit of the grip is exposed. Is this still considered OC, or does a certain amount have to be showing? What I have read so far does not explain this.

Thanks
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    I carry in a Crossbreed that sits rather low in the pants. only a little bit of the grip is exposed. Is this still considered OC, or does a certain amount have to be showing? What I have read so far does not explain this.

Thanks
    The LEOs, who I know, say different things.

There may be some, but I don't know of any case history, legal opinions from the state, etc on this question.

Law says a common observer must be able to tell it is a gun. So if enough of the gun is showing as to clearly indicate that it is a gun, you are fine. But if one can't be sure, you have a problem. Of course if an officer says you are carrying a concealed gun because he could see it - then his case dries up and blows away. OTHO. if a bulge is probable cause....

In the final analysis, the responding LEO's opinion will decide whether you have a hassle. The judge, and maybe the appeals courts, will decide if you were right. Could cost big bucks, either way.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Didn't Kaine just veto this bill?
    "Islam is not your friend"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malazan View Post
    Didn't Kaine just veto this bill?

Veto? Yes.

Just? Just over a week ago.

OTOH -- He signed SB 776, a bill that permits Commonwealth Attorneys and their deputies, with any requirement for firearms training, to carry a concealed handgun into a restaurant that serves alcohol AND DRINK while they're at it!!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    I will be in Alexandria for a couple of days next month. I have never carried in VA and am in the process of studying up on all the laws, but I do have a question.

Thanks
    Yes...if you can see the grip, it's OC.

Why? Because if they (whoever "they" is) see the grip, and *think* it's a gun...it's OC...and legal.

I've carried my P229 IWB...it too, sits low--and I had the same concerns. Quite frankly--NO ONE notices if you open or "VA tuck" OC.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sad to say, we have the same law here in NC. If the establishment serves alcohol, no carrying. Honestly, if I'm not going to drink, I leave it in a car. If I am going to drink a little, yes even a bit of champagne as another poster commented, I don't carry at all, and probably not even drive, depending on the occasion or the amount I would / will drink.

Yeah, it's stupid, and I think that it shouldn't matter what the establishment is, so long as I'm not drinking, then I should be allowed to carry. But at the same time I look at it like this. Complying with the law will prevent me from carrying for a short time. Carrying in the establishment and getting caught, well that could ensure that I can't carry every again. Like many decisions, I pick the lessor of two evils.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Virginia restaurants

For all you folks in VA, when you got out to eat at a restaurant that serves alcohol what do you do? I know this is a CC forum, but VA law says don't bring it or OC. There is no option for CC. How do you handle the situation?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I carry IWB and VA Tuck without skipping a beat.

ETA: Correct me if I'm wrong, I could now OC and drink and it is legal, (not responsible, I wouldn't do it) but Kaine Vetoed a bill that would allow me to CC as long as I don't drink.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    I carry IWB and VA Tuck without skipping a beat.

ETA: Correct me if I'm wrong, I could now OC and drink and it is legal, (not responsible, I wouldn't do it) but Kaine Vetoed a bill that would allow me to CC as long as I don't drink.
    Virginia State Police

Any person granted a concealed handgun permit who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such weapon in a public place shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    I don't know if they are going by the legal limits for "under the influence" or just using in general. Also, note that the above does not discriminate between carrying concealed or openly, only that:

carrying such weapon in a public place shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor

But, that's only if you have a permit?

VA just doesn't make any sense.

*Note, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play on on the forum.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links