Open Carry - What do you think? - Page 4

Open Carry - What do you think?

This is a discussion on Open Carry - What do you think? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD I'm not faulting your argument, just the logic backing it up, you stated that the targeted first thing is an emotional ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry - What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm not faulting your argument, just the logic backing it up, you stated that the targeted first thing is an emotional response so logically, dispel that it CAN'T happen, the fact that it hasn't happened yet, does not mean that it can't happen.

See where I'm going with this?

Emotionally, I agree with you. Logically, there isn't enough data to come up with a factual answer.
    "the fact that it hasn't happened yet, does not mean that it can't happen." correct...but the most important part of your statement is "the fact that it hasn't happened" :)

Yes I know where you're going with this. No hard "facts"...but logically I don't think it can be dispelled. But no you can't "prove it" with hard statistics....gotcha.

You're coming around JD :)

Good little joust there JD
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I'd add that sometimes the sight of a OC (think Virginia's required OC in places with ABC on-premise, here) can create a hostile response.
    i'll second that....unfortunately, the hostile response is usually from anyone who isn't armed.

VIP Member
    I'm for both OC and CC, and I think that each has its place. The sheep public is real uncomfortable seeing OC, but they need to see it and begin to get used to it.

Currently, good decisions should be made now on individual basis when and where to OC or CC. Wise choices during this time ultimately helps our cause. Poor choices may hurt it.

BTW, I saw on tv recently that essentially the gunfight at OK Corral was basically about OC vs CC.

Staff and members- Thanks for letting this thread run, it seems a good tribute to the moderators and members for a lengthy discussion like this to continue w/o flaming (so far).
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

We all know the schools of thought on the element of surprise vs. the deterent factor, etc, etc. The thing is, I've never read hard evidence either way supporting either school of thought. When was the last time you read "criminal targets guy OC'ing"?

I do believe people should be able to choose for themselves. To each his own.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

As stated above, TN is a Open Carry State. I do not do it. I do not want a BG walking up to me to rob me, see I'm armed and know he will have to kill me before I have a chance to do anything to him. I want the fact I'm armed come as a complete suprise to him when I pull it.

I do like the fact that since it is open carry, I do not have to worry about printing, or the butt showing.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    I do not want a BG walking up to me to rob me, see I'm armed and know he will have to kill me before I have a chance to do anything to him. I want the fact I'm armed come as a complete suprise to him when I pull it.
    While nothing is 100% avoidable/preventable proper situational awareness should eliminate this fear.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I personally believe that a gun openly displayed would probably circumvent most occassions where you could use the "element of surprise" to your advantage. The theme of many threads here at DC.com involves restraint, and avoiding any place, situation, or confrontation that may force you to draw your weapon. If carrying openly would deter a criminal from selecting you as a victim, wouldn't that then solve all the other issues related to avoidance?

I thought I'd add some reference from another thread that I though was helpful to this discussion. It involves fanny packs. Fanny packs, for all intents and purposes, can be considered almost open carry. Read:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aming-gun.html

I asked them each why they thought I was carrying a gun, and each said ..... man carrying a fanny pack in Texas? It has to be a gun. I went into my alter ego that I use frequently during work hours and we fast talked while they worked about the "training" they received in prison, and due to the high volume of concealed carry permits in Texas, a subject they discussed frequently was how to spot weapons on people to avoid them as the risk is to high. (NOTE: The all three said the second most identifiable sign is a photographer vest...something even professional photographers in Texas don't wear).
    Then again, maybe we should all wear fanny-packs and photographer's vests, while keeping our guns IWB @ 4:00 or in a smart-carry hahaha.

I am not against OC but when I venture over to OCDO this picture comes to mind with the OC logs and plans to OC at a certain store this week end. Maybe if so many didn't talk about it like it was a winning something each time they walked out the door.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am not against OC but when I venture over to OCDO this picture comes to mind with the OC logs and plans to OC at a certain store this week end. Maybe if so many didn't talk about it like it was a winning something each time they walked out the door.
    O.K. That picture is funny, I don't care who you are.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Then again, maybe we should all wear fanny-packs and photographer's vests, while keeping our guns IWB @ 4:00 or in a smart-carry hahaha.
    Word!

-B

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    No disagreement here on the target #1disadvantage in a hostile situation.

I'd add that sometimes the sight of a OC (think Virginia's required OC in places with ABC on-premise, here) can create a hostile response.

OTOH -- I personally have been two situations (and know others in the OC community who report more) where perceived potential threats altered their body language and movement upon seeing that I was armed.

Was I in real danger? No way to prove it. However, when two rather unpleasant looking young men pass you on the other side of a street (eyeballing you), cross the street, come back toward you, at twenty some feet they split so as to pass on both the street & building sides of you, and one is reached under his shirt -- what do you think? Then when you do the VA Tuck and place you hand on the grip, the one w/o his hand inside his shirt says something to the other, they both turn around and walk away, what do you think? Yes, this was a CC converted to an OC. However, were VA not a OC State, it would have been illegal.

The other was OC all the way and less dramatic.
    I know several people have have done this in Georgia, where OC is legal... they CC most of the time but when they are around some lonely looking place, especially if they perceived a BG eying them they move to OC.

I think this is a good strategy where ever it is legal to OC and CC... if I were in a lonely parking lot real late at night coming from Kroger super market or some place, I would rather be OCing but I would never concider OCing 24/7.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Word!

-B
    Oh great, not this again...

Criminals fear an armed citizen MORE than the police.

I am in total agreement that the sight of a gun may deter crime, but it is still an unknown. But how many times have you heard about a gun on someone's hip deterring a crime? As I have not heard about it on the news or a forum somewhere, does that mean it really hasn't happened?

...all I was saying is that neither can be PROVEN and there's no sense in arguing over it. It's just like the which is better, Coke or Pepsi, it's all opinion, very little fact.
    Psychologically, criminals target people who pose less of a threat, as well as those who are oblivious, they do not randomly pick targets... disabled people, the elderly, women etc fit this category on the most part. And most criminals fear the armed citizen even more than law enforcement, that is a statistical fact that is EASY to look up. If some loiterer were look out for who makes a suitable target, a person with a gun on their hip is just about the last person they want to mess with, why not the lady busy loading groceries into the mini van some lanes down? She will pose less of a threat, and she won't even know what hit her to begin with.
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Psychologically, criminals target people who pose less of a threat, as well as those who are oblivious, they do not randomly pick targets... disabled people, the elderly, women etc fit this category on the most part. And most criminals fear the armed citizen even more than law enforcement, that is a statistical fact that is EASY to look up. If some loiterer were look out for who makes a suitable target, a person with a gun on their hip is just about the last person they want to mess with.
    Right, as stated earlier I agree.

But what about criminals that aren't in their right mind, take your methheads, crackheads, and probably the worse case scenario, the suicide shooter.

If the last one sees you first, he's probably going to definitely shoot you first, he's there with the gun, no turning back....

My only point in going against the above stated is that to dismiss the possibility of being targeted due to it being unlikely, is that we all ready planning on what to do if we find ourselves in an unlikely circumstance.

We carry a gun so that in the unlikely event that we need it, we have it.

We carry spare magazines in the unlikely event that we need more than one.

We carry spare guns in the unlikely event that we need more than one.

We carry knives in the unlikely event that we need to use it to fend off an attacker.

We do all these things because there is a possibility that we may need them no matter how unlikely the circumstance.

So while I totally understand that the presence of a gun can deter crime, I'm not going to pretend it's a force field that will keep unlikely circumstances from occuring, I am a firm believer in Muprhy's Law...

If it can go wrong, it will.

No matter how unlikely.

So while I totally understand that the presence of a gun can deter crime, I'm not going to pretend it's a force field that will keep unlikely circumstances from occuring, I am a firm believer in Muprhy's Law...

If it can go wrong, it will.

No matter how unlikely.
    Armed guards OCing is another example. Where I live, even the small local fast food joints have armed security inside them who OCs, the bank has it, and so do other places (not shocked, DeKalb has an increasing crime rate, and being robbed is not good for business)... any one wanting to commit an armed robbery is certainly most likely to go for places with no armed security guards.

Though being armed is no magic bullet prof vest, and I can understand what you said about a crazy maniac shooting the armed guard, armed citizen who is OCing etc first but I don't even see this as likely if it were to happen, if a crazed maniac were to shoot any body first it most likely will be the one who is closest to his field of view. And people who OC have a responsibility to have a high awareness of other people around them, they typically position themselves in such a way that people won't be so close as to grab their weapon, most of them are not the type to want to stand next to people.

The only reason I don't OC is due to the calling police due to their ignorance, and many LEOs are intollerant of legally armed citizens in DeKalb so the only way I would personally OC is if I had to go some where real late at night and I suspected a loiterer targeting me across the way... all I would have to do is to move or unbutton my shirt to make the IWB holstered gun OC (and I wear an undershirt to keep reduce sweet getting on my gun.)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links