Open Carry - What do you think? - Page 8

Open Carry - What do you think?

This is a discussion on Open Carry - What do you think? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is an option here in Minnesota, but I don't want the BG's to know that I am carrying... they know and they will shoot ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    It is an option here in Minnesota, but I don't want the BG's to know that I am carrying... they know and they will shoot me first... they don't know I will at least have a fighting chance (so to speak).
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I think this is absolutely the wrong reason to open carry. Flaunting your gun does nothing to educate the public. What about the 'rights' of the people who don't want to be around guns? Maybe they don't want to get used to people carrying guns. Consider some other 'rights.' I don't want my kids having to see men kissing in public though I respect their 'right' to do so. I don't want to see high school girls dress as prostitutes even though it is their 'right.' I don't want to be annoyed by religious prostheltyzing even though they have a 'right.'

You say to let them see their fears are unfounded. What if they are not afraid? I'm not afraid of the religious people at airports (oops, we passed a law against their 'right' to be annoying.) I just don't want them there. It would be even more unwelcome if I knew their 'primary purpose' was to let me see how there is nothing to fear from religious prosetheltyzers.

People who open carry should be doing so to defend themselves and their loved ones. Even though it is less tactically sound (than concealed carry,) I support open carry in all jurisdiction. But to open carry with the purpose of educating the public, or worse, educating LEO is arrogant in the extreme.

That people who open carry thinking that being confronted by LEO is a badge of honor is a despicable use of Second Amendment rights and endangers all of us who wish to protect our families. In my opinion, those who open carry where it is inappropriate do more to harm our cause (tying up LEO resources, frivolous lawsuits, worrying the public, negative media response) than any good they think they are accomplishing.

There are far better strategies to educate the public concerning guns than to cause a scene and rub their nose in their ignorance.

There is a 'right' to be a sheep if one so chooses.
    Although you will probably get raked over the coals for this post I agree with it totally. I don't have anything against OC but I do have something against those that OC just to aggravate people and that group seems to be growing. Thanks for posting it.

Too much to read so I will just chime in for those who care.

Open carry seems like a way to invite trouble, concealment also allows you to remain anonymous, and provides you the element of surprise. No retention exercises when no one knows your carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by nlghthawk View Post

Open carry seems like a way to invite trouble, concealment also allows you to remain anonymous, and provides you the element of surprise. No retention exercises when no one knows your carrying.
    Read this portion of my post above addressing the issue of "surprise".

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Surprise:
    Probably the most common condemnation of open carry comes from the armchair tacticians who believe it’s better to have the element of surprise in a criminal encounter. Although this was touched on in the previous paragraph about deterrence, I’ll expand on it specifically here because there are some important truths you need to consider before you lean too heavily on this false support. Surprise as a defensive tactic is based on unrealistic or ill-thought out scenarios. The circumstance where several street toughs surround and taunt you for a while like in some Charles Bronson movie is not realistic; the mugger wants to get in and out as fast as possible. In most cases you will have only seconds to realize what’s happening, make a decision, and react. Imagine you’re walking along the sidewalk when two gangsta looking teenagers suddenly appear at the corner coming in the opposite direction. You have only seconds to react if their intent was to victimize you. Do you draw your concealed firearm now or wait until there’s an actual visible threat? If they are just on their way to church and you pull a gun on them, you are the criminal and you may forever lose your firearms rights for such a foolish action. If you don’t draw and they pull a knife or pistol when they’re just a couple steps away, your only options are draw (if you think you can) or comply. Imagine staring at the shiny blade of a knife being held by a very nervous and violent mugger, three inches from your or your wife’s throat and having to decide whether or not you have time to draw from concealment. The element of surprise may not do you any good; in fact the only surprising thing that might happen is that your concealed carry pistol gets taken along with your wallet. The thug will later get a good chuckle with his buddies about how you brought a gun to a knife fight. The simple truth is that while surprise is a monumentally superior tactical maneuver, it is exclusively an offensive action, not a defensive one. I am not aware of any army that teaches using surprise as a defense against attack. No squad of soldiers goes on patrol with their weapons hidden so that they can ‘surprise’ the enemy should they walk into an ambush.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Administrator
    I must be an armchair tactician then with only close to 20 years of daily carry concealed.

I see absolutely no real world practical reasons to open carry except in those places where open carry is an only legal recourse and it's near impossible to get a license to carry concealed.

I have a great amount of respect for Tubby45 but, I'd be right pleased to poke a few holes in his post.
    Credit where credit is due...he has made some interesting points.

I'll need to do it tomorrow though 'cause it's after 1:00AM here and I had a really long day and an early one tomorrow.

Oh what the heck...I'll give you one and then I'm off to dreamland.

I'll answer the statement with a question.

"Someone who is disturbed by open carry is going to be every bit as disturbed by concealed carry."

What would disturb you more ...the poisonous snake that you don't know is curled up under your bed...or the one that just dropped out of the tree onto your shoulder?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Snakes don't bother me.:)
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Administrator
    I told myself right when this thread first started that I was not going to get into a point/counterpoint on open carry...and & I'll just let the members have at it and let the chips fall where they may....and now youse guys are trying to sucker me into one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

There are some interesting posts if you are interested in other peoples thought, experince, and insights.

What kind of trouble? Do you have any examples of it actually happening? Or is it like when the antis say it seems like guns cause violence? Because if we are going to go by the way things "seem" not on verifiable fact maybe no one should own guns much less actually carry one concealed or not
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I told myself right when this thread first started that I was not going to get into a point/counterpoint on open carry...and & I'll just let the members have at it and let the chips fall where they may....and now youse guys are trying to sucker me into one.
    I thought you were going to bed?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    B]"Someone who is disturbed by open carry is going to be every bit as disturbed by concealed carry."[/B]

What would disturb you more ...the poisonous snake that you don't know is curled up under your bed...or the one that just dropped out of the tree onto your shoulder?
    Kind of an unfair comparisons. Dropped onto your shoulder is more akin to an attack isn't it? That would be more like are you more disturbed by a concealed weapon or having a gun pointed at you. I personally am less disturbed by the snake I can see than the one I can't but most disturbed the one attacking me
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I've actually seen this subject at several different web sites. It's an interesting subject. While I'd like to be able to openly carry, I don't think I would. Don't get me wrong, I've got a fancy 1911 holster and mag pouch ready to go (in Texas we call them BBQue guns). I've just carried concealed for so long, that open carry would just feel strange. Sort of like going to Home Depot naked.

I bet when you started carrying a gun when before you didn't, it felt strange. Now it's no big deal. Same with open carry. I'd be lying to say I wasn't nervous the first few times. You get used to it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

In MS it gets 120 with a 200% humidity.
    OC is allowed and done sometimes.
    Walked thru wal-mart OC and purchased 300 rounds
    No problems.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Here in Ohio people get harassed by the police for it sometimes, but we are trying to correct that. In this case, the OCer recorded the incedent on his iphone, and you can listen to it. It contains foul language by the police, so use your discretion. It happed a few weeks ago.

http://www.ohioccw.org/files/2008-06...45_05-0001.mp3

The following resulted from this is:
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry - Ohio's Premier Gun Rights Organization Since 1999 - Willowick to Help Spread Word Open Carry Is Legal
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry - Ohio's Premier Gun Rights Organization Since 1999 - OFCC Asks AG to Intervene
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry - Ohio's Premier Gun Rights Organization Since 1999 - Willowick Update - Chief Sends Letter to AG

Sponsor
    Ledford didn't suffer any PTSD from the incident with the officer based on his actions, demeanor and foul language?

Looks like some places are getting the word out with LE based on confrontations on the streets between law abiding citizens and LE on this issue in Ohio.

Whats that old saw saying, something about ignorance is no excuse to break the law? Ohio POST should probably be addressing this in the academy training as well as yearly in-service. It wouldn't take 5 minutes to get the word out to every officer on the streets through these resources.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links