Open Carry - What do you think?

This is a discussion on Open Carry - What do you think? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tubby, I understand what your saying but here is my logic. Every point that has been made by both sides is a valid and can ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Open Carry - What do you think?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Tubby,
    I understand what your saying but here is my logic.

Every point that has been made by both sides is a valid and can be articulated if one lives in a perfect world. However we don't live in a perfect world. I do not condone people for open carry however, I do discourage others from practicing it if one can carry concealed.

To me there is no point in showing your hand if you don't have to. Open carry is just that. Just like Kenny sings in his song the Gambler.

I won't argue that open carry discourages crime because I think in some cases it does however, you cannot argue that open carry also encourages crimnal behavior towards the person practicing it. Therefore you are increasing your chances of being a target.

Lets just say: I'm a criminal and I want the biggest booty from two individuals, because most criminals do steal to make money.

Both the CCW holder and the Open carrier person Have a whooping $5 in their wallet and are carrying a Glock 9mm handgun. Retail $549.99 Street value is $1,000. A determined criminal to make the mortgage payments is going pass the CCW holder by since he may have $20 in his wallet. Not very good loot. But an open carrier has already shown him the image of getting him more money. Therefore it is a possiblility that he could try and ambush the Open carrier person to get the loot. Also, the stakes go up when the criminal realizes you have the tools at your disposal to fight back he may just neutralize you a head of time and pick your pockets after. A person concealed has not yet revealed the ace in his pocket ( or Glock on his hip) therefor while comfronted may actually have a one up on the bad guy. I'm not saying this is every case I'm just saying this could theoritecaly happen and probably has happened at one time.

So in essence Why appeal to the Criminal element that you are a steak dinner when you could in reality appear to be a Mcdonald French Fry. Both can fight back, but both have different completly differn't perceptions by both the individual and the criminal.

I also see most of the OC ing people utilizing fairly crappy holsters worn in spots where one could easily pin their arms back to disallow the use of their guns, and not only that they have no idea what to do if somebody does go for their gun. I've seen some really good OC shooters however, I've also seen ones that could not hit the target if they where 5 feet away and 3 feet wide by 8 feet tall. I'm sure there are some CCWers in that catagory, but why go the extra mile to make harder. I am not actively supporting a ban on OC and do think it is needed in certain cases. However, in most poker games the players do not start the game before hand with their card face up on the table before they place bets.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Tubby,
    I understand what your saying but here is my logic.

I also see most of the OC ing people utilizing fairly crappy holsters worn in spots where one could easily pin their arms back to disallow the use of their guns, and not only that they have no idea what to do if somebody does go for their gun. I've seen some really good OC shooters however, I've also seen ones that could not hit the target if they where 5 feet away and 3 feet wide by 8 feet tall. I'm sure there are some CCWers in that catagory, but why go the extra mile to make harder. I am not actively supporting a ban on OC and do think it is needed in certain cases. However, in most poker games the players do not start the game before hand with their card face up on the table before they place bets.
    If I open carry it is in a VM-II or High Noon slide-guard,on a shark belt $400+ leather and My little compact USP may suprise you at 5 feet on a 3x8.
    I'm 6'3" 235lb and don't look like a victim. I have OC and CC for years without a problem. So by not OC you really don't Know both sides , understand.JMO
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JD
    Administrator
    Well, we've gone from "What do you think about OC" to the OC vs. CC debate.

Thanks for playing guys.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links