Open Carry - What do you think?

This is a discussion on Open Carry - What do you think? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a movement in this country involving open carry. Most of it is based on publically exercising 2A Rights and political activism. Unfavorable LEO ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry - What do you think?

Open Carry - What do you think?

There is a movement in this country involving open carry. Most of it is based on publically exercising 2A Rights and political activism. Unfavorable LEO encounters and upset citizens seem to be a frequent occurence with the OC crowd. Most of these folks also get upset if you mention concealment as possibly a better way of carrying.

Although legal in most locales... what do you think? I prefer conceal carry and have mixed feelings about open carry. 2A rights, etc. aside.... I'd like to hear from you all...especially LEO's that have to deal with this issue on the street.

Thanks for your feedback.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I think open carry, where legal (should be everywhere) should be accepted as normal.. However it is not, unforunately. As much as I'd like to read a discussion about it, I'm sure most of the members here are against it.

I'd also bet this thread is locked in a big hurry.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think you've got the gist of it. Don't take it personally if this thread gets locked before people start replying.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I'd also bet this thread is locked in a big hurry.
    Hopefully, this thread doesn't get locked down. It's a legitimate concern of many people who carry defensively... concealed or open.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

Maybe a good guess on locking the thread.

Why OC? Get your license. No need to draw unfavorable attention to yourself. I know a lot of better informed people will disagree with me, but I believe OC puts me at a disadvantage in a hostile situation. OC would likely make me target #1 -- very possibly before I even knew what was happening.

OC reminds me of a response a LEO gave me when I asked if he would prefer to be informed of my CWP (no duty to inform in FL). He said yes. He knows lots of folks carry weapons in their car and he is OK with that and understands why. He just doesn't want a "surprise".

I'm OK with it and I do OC a good bit of the time in the heat of summer. Here in Tennessee it is 100% legal and in fact, quite a few people do OC here. It is pretty normal and not at all unusual to see someone open carrying here.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think it's much ado about nothing myself.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I OC on occasion; usually when forbidden by statute to CC.

OC and CC are both options

In Washington, the OC movement is strong, and making good progress with even the largest jurisdictions (Seattle, Olympia, Spokane, etc.). While OC isn't common, it is becoming more accepted due to the efforts of a few dedicated enthusiasts.

I OC and CC. It depends on the circumstances. My permit in Washington allows me to conceal a gun, but does not require me to conceal if I choose to carry. I like the choice to either wear a jacket or not, and not worry about who knows I am carrying.

I don't think this is an issue that should be reduced to two viewpoints in conflict with each other. Carry is carry -- even though Defensive Carry is about CC primarily, OC is practiced as well for defense.

The open carry movement is growing. Even since this national article Packing in public: Gun owners tired of hiding their weapons embrace 'open carry' - Los Angeles Times local papers and communities are opening their eyes to their new freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I OC on occasion; usually when forbidden by statute to CC.
    I was under the impression that everyone in the VCDL open carries

I don't think OC puts anyone at a disadvantage. I would say most everyone, including BGs, would never spot the gun unless it is a huge Glock 21 or a full size 1911. They (BGs) would have to scope out both sides of every person. So i figure when I am OC I have a 25% chance of being made by any given person. You have two sides, they have two side - plus are they passing you from the front or the rear. I don't worry about it too much. I know the laws and if I am confronted by a LEO I will comply with all instructions, request a supervisor if it escalates. Work it all out in front of a judge if it goes that far. I don't OC a lot - but more in the summer - no issues as of yet - not even a comment.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I think it's much ado about nothing myself.
    I agree and OC when I'm up at my cabin mostly.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Can't do it in FL, but I prefer CC anyway...and would keep it that way if given a choice...OMO

Stay armed...stay concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If done, OC should be done using good judgement considering the attitudes of the area in which one is going to OC. It also is not for all places even in gun friendly areas.

Unfortunately, it is my opinion that it is often done in an "In your face" manner and attitude.
    If it is likely to frighten or disturb the general populace it should not be done.
    Some things I might have a right to do, but I also have a right to refrain if it causes problems. That is especially true if one is confronted by LEO or security personnel who have been called.

NM is an OC state. When I go to the range with a buddy, and stay until around noon we stop at a Loves truck stop and have a sandwich. No one pays attention to OC.
    However, I would not go to the local mall as I think it might cause someone to panic or call the police. I would prefer not to have my day disturbed by such a confrontation.

If one is determined to "stand up for 2nd rights" then go ahead, but realize you might be detained if you OC in some stores or locations.

Overall I think it is a bad idea in general. I also think that it leaves one open to having his gun snatched by a couple or more of BGs. You cannot avoid crowds in some places, and that is a dangerous situation if someone decides to take your gun.

I do not believe it furthers gun rights to OC.

To each his own, and that is my opinion.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links