Open Carry and the police

This is a discussion on Open Carry and the police within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question for you that open carry. Do you guys and gals ever get check for your carry permits because your open carry? It's going up ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry and the police

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Open Carry and the police

Question for you that open carry. Do you guys and gals ever get check for your carry permits because your open carry? It's going up for debate in Texas and this crossed my mind. It would seem to me that ever time an officer sees someone in a public place he would be checking for a license. Are there ever times when BGs try getting by with open carry and no license?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The few occasions where I've open carried, I've never had an officer approach me to ask me why I'm doing such a thing. Fortunately APD does a good job at educating their patrol officers about the gun laws here in Alaska, at least I hope they do.

As for bad guys getting away with carrying a gun by doing so openly, well that's just something extremely rare. Most criminals don't carry openly if they're going to commit armed robbery, or shoot someone.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    In Virginia, no permit required.

If you can legally own it, you can OC it -- within situs restrictions.

However, some situs restrictions do not apply to CHP holders, even if OCing. So, let's say you are OC near a school, you might be Terry Stopped, until you show a CHP.

You might want to checkout OCDO for more information.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

in PA, OC is not grounds for a terry stop, but it doesn't stop LEOs from doing it, anyway. you don't need a LTCF to OC, except for Philthadelphia; even so, LEO has no reason to stop and demand ID if you're going from point A to point B while OCing. this is one of the reasons Dickson City, PA and it's police dept. have come under fire recently.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    in PA, OC is not grounds for a terry stop, but it doesn't stop LEOs from doing it, anyway. you don't need a LTCF to OC, except for Philthadelphia; even so, LEO has no reason to stop and demand ID if you're going from point A to point B while OCing. this is one of the reasons Dickson City, PA and it's police dept. have come under fire recently.
    You beat me to it

VIP Member
    As mentioned no permit required for OC in VA, but on occasion they will stop you and run you. Sometimes you even get to ride in a police car. Two young gents were arrested and processed for OCing at a Starbucks in Reston, VA. A gentleman was arrested and processed in the Norfolk area of VA. The VCDL OC crowd was run out of a pizza place in Manassas by the police for OCing. No arrests in that one though.

It happens, but if you don't OC how can anyone know that you are carrying a gun. How can you desensitize all the soccer mommies to guns if they don't see them. If you can't OC at least wear a shirt like this one to get people used to seeing guns.
    Attached Images
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    A gentleman was arrested and processed in the Norfolk area of VA.
    If you are talking about the Chet incident, See:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...1-go-chet.html
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

No permit in WA required, but most urban areas will result in a felony stop if you're unlucky.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    No permit in WA required, but most urban areas will result in a felony stop if you're unlucky.
    How can one be popped for Felony if not breaking the law?
    I ask, not because I doubt it, but because I don't doubt it.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

IBTL

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    . A gentleman was arrested and processed in the Norfolk area of VA.
    ...and the lawsuit against the City, PD, and officers is pending as they were in violation of the state pre-emption law regarding the carrying of a firearm. (i.e. local authorities cannot make any ordinance or law more restrictive than state law)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

smn
    I've openly carried my weapon in front of a police officer in Warner Robins, GA, in an indoor kids play place/arcade thing.... He didn't stop me or ask me the time of day. We acknowledged each other's presence and I played games and watched my family play games.

This is how it's supposed to be.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    He said felony stop, not arrested/charged.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    For those not familiar with police jargon, "felony stop" is simply a term used to describe the taking into custody of a person at gunpoint, with the suspect being given verbal commands by the officers until he/she is safely restrained and disarmed. It really has nothing to do with a felony, per se, but is a technique used by the police when taking known felons into custody when there may be a danger of armed resistance.

Most police departments have gotten away from the term "felony stop," and instead use the term "high-risk stop." Obviously, not every felon needs to be taken into custody at gunpoint, as there are a lot of non-violent felonies on the books. Old habits die hard, though, so you'll still hear the term "felony stop" a lot. It doesn't mean you committed a felony, it's just jargon.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    For those not familiar with police jargon, "felony stop" is simply a term used to describe the taking into custody of a person at gunpoint, with the suspect being given verbal commands by the officers until he/she is safely restrained and disarmed. It really has nothing to do with a felony, per se, but is a technique used by the police when taking known felons into custody when there may be a danger of armed resistance.

Most police departments have gotten away from the term "felony stop," and instead use the term "high-risk stop." Obviously, not every felon needs to be taken into custody at gunpoint, as there are a lot of non-violent felonies on the books. Old habits die hard, though, so you'll still hear the term "felony stop" a lot. It doesn't mean you committed a felony, it's just jargon.
    Roger that. JD and Metro answered it. Sorry to use such antiquated terminology.

Most of the urban police departments here do not train for or regularly have interaction with open carriers, so their reactions can sometimes be excessive.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

no permit required here in nevada but the popo's always disarm me and run my lic and ccw. then begin to tell me how i dont need a firearmand they are only safe when an officer has one. so i remind them of the many things LAPD has done wrong and walk away.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links