Legal to Open carry in Washington - Would be nice if the LEO's Knew

This is a discussion on Legal to Open carry in Washington - Would be nice if the LEO's Knew within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY My times of open carry depend on the circumstance.. If I'm going hunting or something in the forest I open carry.. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Legal to Open carry in Washington - Would be nice if the LEO's Knew

Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    My times of open carry depend on the circumstance.. If I'm going hunting or something in the forest I open carry.. Pretty much all other times I CC.. I don't want the trouble most of the time.. But It would be nice the few times I do OC to know what to say if I get harassed. The biggest thing for me wether I OC or CC I just don't want to ruin things for everyone else!

John
    I do open carry when hiking and the weather prohibits concealment. In those circumstances I have never had more than a hairy eyeball from anyone. Around town it's another story...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

Yea... I find that if I talk to people and I'm friendly people my ask but they don't feel threatend.. In fact I went scouting for deer this morning already had my Gun on my side so I went out to grab lunch.. At the sandwich shop no one seems to notice.. I went to a connivence store just after.. And the clerk immediately ask me if my XD was real. I told him " I hope so" and we had a 10 minute conversation. He told me to come back anytime and we parted.. on a side note.. a guy walked in as I was talking to the clerk and I didn't see it by my roommate was with me and saw that the guy walking in had a weird taken back look on his face.. I OC for convinces at times.. But for example there's a city event today.. and I will take the time to conceal because there's kids around and I don't want to be bothered or bother the general public.. In a crowed I'd rather blend.
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

I have had similar experiences. I don't have my CCW (yet), and my work takes me into some VERY socia-economically depressed areas (sorry, the PC bug bit me this morning). Since I own the properties I frequent there, I can carry concealed on them, but once I drive off I must be OC.

Anyway, I was with my wife the other day when she wanted to stop by the local CVS and pick up a prescription. We both went in for a few minutes, then I decided to step outside for a cigarette.

While out there, the clerk came out and asked me to put "hide" my gun, since people were nervous about someone standing outside the store "with a gun" since they "couldn't see my badge?"

I smiled and said "sorry, concealing my gun would be against the law. As soon as my wife collects her prescription I will be on my way."

She asked, "what do you mean concealing it would be illegal"

"I don't have a permit to carry concealed," I said. I thought she was going to run into the store and call the police.

For the record, I was dressed in nice khaki's, dress shoes, and a nice polo shirt, tucked in. (i.e., not looking like a thug.)

Like I told the guy to day. People who carry open or concealed(Legaly) souldn't really be worried about. In fact it us who might come to the rescue of the clerk at the store. Some people are just afraid not realizing that guns themselves are not dangerous.. Stupid people are.
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Print out a copy of the open carry law and carry it with you,if they stop you show them the section of the law and explain you are perfectly legal OCing,if they wanta push it request a supervisor.After the incident is over file a complaint with the police dept.
    That is what most of us that OC in Utah do. We made a pamphlet with the main CC and OC laws, some of use even carry the states AG phone number just in case.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    I have found that most LEOs that have a problem with OC, don’t like it because of the reaction it causes in “sheep”. I have never spoken to a LEO here in Colorado that was against carry, but some of them just do not like dealing with the irrational behavior that the sight of a gun will cause in some people. One LEO told me that if he saw me OC it would not be a big deal but that he would ask me to cover it.
    How about the LE tell the sheep that the person is not breaking the law ?

My young sister drives a small car, Honda civics, shes scared of large vehicles like bus and trailor on the street with her, can she call the police and ask them to get the driver to take his trailor or bus off the road ?

I'm just saying.
    vice87 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I dont know what LTCF means I'm assuming thats the Permit to Conceal in your area.. Here.. The law is funny.. You can OC while on foot.. but the moment you enter a vehicle your considered CC so.. Here its possible to OC with out a permit but not conveient by any means.. It would mean having to load up from your trunk every time you got out of your car.. I'm not big on open carry but when its easier I do it.. Like I said I'm not worried about the Thurston County LEO's they've recently been educated.. its pumping gas in another county that is kinda harry.. Hey the mayor of Seattle doesn't want you to OC or CC while pumping gas.. I think he likes dead defenseless citizens.
    LTCF is a "License to carry firearms". Thats what it says on our "permits" in Pennsylvania. Your law in Washington is the same as Pennsylvania. OC is legal on foot without a license, but you need a permit/license in your car.

Our legal rights?

What statements are acceptable to deter law enforcement from harassing me. I am for the most part educated on the laws in wa state however I am open carrying until I receive my CPL. Also, is it legal for an out of state resident allowed to open carry in wa state? Any comments/advice on this matter. I'm only trying to be a more educated legal firearm owner/citizen. In addition this is my first time open carrying in pierce co.

Recently I've had conversations with people regarding the right to open carry here in Washington State.. I live about 1 hour south of Seattle our area tends to be quiet for the most part. So the cops are as much on edge in our area.. the Police don't even report to calls for guns unless its out of the holster.

I was at the gun shop/range and was talking with one of the workers and he mentioned that recently he was just getting off work and forgot to conceal his weapon for what ever reason.. Anyways he was out of gas and went to the gas station.. While there. He was approached by a Pierce County LEO and was told that he needed to conceal his weapon. Help me out here.. What is the best way to deal with this situation? I open carry sometimes like if I'm on my way to go hunting or something. In my area Its no biggy but I think its crazy that I should be worried about being harassed when In Pierce County or in Seattle where the crazy Mayor Nichols is.

I know its legal but not allot of the LEOs know.
    They know full well. That does not madder to them.

Legal to Open carry in Washington - Would be nice if the LEO's Knew

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
    What statements are acceptable to deter law enforcement from harassing me. I am for the most part educated on the laws in wa state however I am open carrying until I receive my CPL. Also, is it legal for an out of state resident allowed to open carry in wa state? Any comments/advice on this matter. I'm only trying to be a more educated legal firearm owner/citizen. In addition this is my first time open carrying in pierce co.
    In WA what isn't specifically defined as illegal is considered legal. There is no law limiting carry for out-of-state residents, so you should be fine. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050 Just remember, you cannot have a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a CPL.

As far as law enforcement, they might need to be reminded that open carry is lawful. Unfortunately, some departments are not as good as others in educating their officers. I would recommend checking out opencarry.org for further resources. I believe they even have literature you can print out if you feel the need.

Edit: This is also a good resource and updated often http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

VIP Member
    Come on guys. This thread is almost 6 years old. I think things have changed a little bit since then.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Come on guys. This thread is almost 6 years old. I think things have changed a little bit since then.
    Definitely. We haven't bickered about OC vs CC in at least 2 years. Also, run-ins is LEO who don't know every detail of the law are a thing of the past.
    DuckDodgers likes this.

Thank you sir. Much obliged.

I would kindly tell him he is incorrect, and that he could also be asking me to break the law if I didn't have a permit.

I recently read that it is lawful for a non CPL holder to carry an UNloaded pistol on their hip in a vehicle as long as said pistol is again UNLOADED with an empty chamber and magazine out of it. True or false. Anybody?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links