Legal to Open carry in Washington - Would be nice if the LEO's Knew

This is a discussion on Legal to Open carry in Washington - Would be nice if the LEO's Knew within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I've had conversations with people regarding the right to open carry here in Washington State.. I live about 1 hour south of Seattle our ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Legal to Open carry in Washington - Would be nice if the LEO's Knew

Recently I've had conversations with people regarding the right to open carry here in Washington State.. I live about 1 hour south of Seattle our area tends to be quiet for the most part. So the cops are as much on edge in our area.. the Police don't even report to calls for guns unless its out of the holster.

I was at the gun shop/range and was talking with one of the workers and he mentioned that recently he was just getting off work and forgot to conceal his weapon for what ever reason.. Anyways he was out of gas and went to the gas station.. While there. He was approached by a Pierce County LEO and was told that he needed to conceal his weapon. Help me out here.. What is the best way to deal with this situation? I open carry sometimes like if I'm on my way to go hunting or something. In my area Its no biggy but I think its crazy that I should be worried about being harassed when In Pierce County or in Seattle where the crazy Mayor Nichols is.

I know its legal but not allot of the LEOs know.
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

bae
    Smile and say "thank you officer", and go about your business.

Print out a copy of the open carry law and carry it with you,if they stop you show them the section of the law and explain you are perfectly legal OCing,if they wanta push it request a supervisor.After the incident is over file a complaint with the police dept.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Smile and say "thank you officer", and go about your business.
    Or I'm sorry Officer, but that requires a CWL.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    There may be no laws on the books regarding open carry, if open carry is unrestricted (as long as you are legal to possess that is) it's likely that there are no laws on the books relating to OC, it is largely unregulated and the fact that there are no restrictions or laws applicable to the open carrying of firearms is what makes it legal.

That is not always the case, as it varies from state to state.

Looking at several WA laws regarding the carrying of firearms, I don't see any mention of OC.

I know there are several flyers regarding open carry in PA and VA, they might have something available for WA as well.

Regarding the police, well you can't know everything. Unless everyone here can quote me chapter and verse of the carry laws in their state without the aide of Google... well you get the picture. OC has made a bit of a resurgence lately, and in recent years the focus has always on obtaining a CCW permit to conceal the firearm, so lots of people overlook the obvious that you don't need a permit to carry it openly etc. etc.

Administrator
    Does the city have a law regarding OC? That might be the case.
    CLASS3NH and oscar1 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

No it doesn't.. Its just that county has lots of crime so the LEOs are on edge. It was just recent that even our LEO's started realizing that it was legal and stopped messing with people. Its funny how things are in a different county not more than 15 or 20 miles away..
    ~XD-45 Compact~

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    No it doesn't.. Its just that county has lots of crime so the LEOs are on edge. It was just recent that even our LEO's started realizing that it was legal and stopped messing with people. Its funny how things are in a different county not more than 15 or 20 miles away..
    Yup. Polictical climate and demographics of an area have a lot to do with LEO's... its human nature.

The best advice I can offer is to follow the old saying; "When in Rome,...."
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    Recently I've had conversations with people regarding the right to open carry here in Washington State.. I live about 1 hour south of Seattle our area tends to be quiet for the most part. So the cops are as much on edge in our area.. the Police don't even report to calls for guns unless its out of the holster.

I was at the gun shop/range and was talking with one of the workers and he mentioned that recently he was just getting off work and forgot to conceal his weapon for what ever reason.. Anyways he was out of gas and went to the gas station.. While there. He was approached by a Pierce County LEO and was told that he needed to conceal his weapon. Help me out here.. What is the best way to deal with this situation? I open carry sometimes like if I'm on my way to go hunting or something. In my area Its no biggy but I think its crazy that I should be worried about being harassed when In Pierce County or in Seattle where the crazy Mayor Nichols is.

I know its legal but not allot of the LEOs know.
    At least in PA while you are on foot you do not need a LTCF while OCing. So if you are carrying sterile and you need a LTCF to CC they are asking you to break the law. I would simply say "I am carrying sterile and I'm sorry but I can not honor your request because I'd be breaking the law".

I dont know what LTCF means I'm assuming thats the Permit to Conceal in your area.. Here.. The law is funny.. You can OC while on foot.. but the moment you enter a vehicle your considered CC so.. Here its possible to OC with out a permit but not conveient by any means.. It would mean having to load up from your trunk every time you got out of your car.. I'm not big on open carry but when its easier I do it.. Like I said I'm not worried about the Thurston County LEO's they've recently been educated.. its pumping gas in another county that is kinda harry.. Hey the mayor of Seattle doesn't want you to OC or CC while pumping gas.. I think he likes dead defenseless citizens.
    ~XD-45 Compact~

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Does the city have a law regarding OC? That might be the case.
    I know that's the case someplaces but not here.

In WA only the state can enact laws regarding firearms. State law preempts. Several cities have been spanked in court over this issue in the past.

As JD pointed out, the State does not prohibit open carry.

Several cities have addressed this as a training issue with their Officers and copies of their bulletins can be found here:

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/open_...washington.pdf

I personally do not advocate open carry, however I recognize that others do. I also appreciate it when others open carry, because it makes it easier for me to blend.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Cover it up , say thanks and in the morning call a LEO supervisor and tell your story. No bitching or complaining.
    Respectfully tell "your guys have a little problem."

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

OC in Washington is legal

As pointed out already, OC is legal in Washington. There isn't a statute that authorizes OC, just as there isn't a statute that illegalizes OC. Minus a prohibition, it is legal. Further, the state firearms pre-emption will override any local law or ordinance that cities or municipalities have on the books now or try to pass. Firearms laws -- as far as carry -- are therefore consistent state-wide in Washington.

OC vs. CC has been debated endlessly, and I hope everybody is now satisfied that the horse is dead. It is an individual decision that should be based on personal preference, local acceptance, and the situation at hand.

If a LEO asks you to conceal, the way to not ruffle feathers is to abide by the request. I would suggest you ask if they have received a training bulletin on the legality of OC -- not all departments have issued them, but I believe that Pierce County has. If the officer has not seen a training bulletin, ask for a business card and offer to send him one from another jurisdiction. Calling a supervisor is fine, as long as your intent is to educate rather than get the officer's a$$ chapped.

Personally, I like the fact that in Washington I can remove my jacket before I get in my car and not be "brandishing." I usually conceal, but the fact that OC is legal here means I don't worry when the wind blows a jacket back and reveals a gun, or if I forget to (or don't want to) wear a cover garment.

Most LEOs in this state are friendly toward citizen carry, and preserving their good image of those who carry only furthers the cause. Please don't seek out a confrontation when it isn't necessary.

I have found that most LEOs that have a problem with OC, don’t like it because of the reaction it causes in “sheep”. I have never spoken to a LEO here in Colorado that was against carry, but some of them just do not like dealing with the irrational behavior that the sight of a gun will cause in some people. One LEO told me that if he saw me OC it would not be a big deal but that he would ask me to cover it.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    \
    I personally do not advocate open carry, however I recognize that others do. I also appreciate it when others open carry, because it makes it easier for me to blend.

My times of open carry depend on the circumstance.. If I'm going hunting or something in the forest I open carry.. Pretty much all other times I CC.. I don't want the trouble most of the time.. But It would be nice the few times I do OC to know what to say if I get harassed. The biggest thing for me wether I OC or CC I just don't want to ruin things for everyone else!

John
    ~XD-45 Compact~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links