If open carry was legal, how would you carry? - Page 9

If open carry was legal, how would you carry?

This is a discussion on If open carry was legal, how would you carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CC only...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: If open carry was legal, how would you carry?

CC only

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    Keep the BG guessing - concealed.
    Sir,

I joined this forum last year, when I thought Defensive Carry meant any type of carry - as long as you were carrying. I quickly found out that my discussion of OC was inappropriate and unwanted on the forum. I only came back recently because I heard that an OC discussion area had been made available.

I respected the fact that OC talk was not appreciated in the forum overall, and I would hope that CC only folks would also respect this space as an OC talk spot.

I'm not saying CC only folks shouldn't come in this section and not participate and contribute, I also occassionally contribute in other areas if they interest me, but that if you all post in here you should at least participate in the spirit of it. Ask questions if you all have any. Share experiences if you have any. But do NOT talk down to Open Carriers, here or otherwise. If I'm wrong, the Big Bumper can bump my ass right on outta here. But I suspect I'm not.

This is the spot to "discuss OC in those states where it is legal to do so and is not meant to debate the virtues of OC vs CC."

No harm, no foul.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Muntz View Post
    Sir,

I joined this forum last year, when I thought Defensive Carry meant any type of carry - as long as you were carrying. I quickly found out that my discussion of OC was inappropriate and unwanted on the forum. I only came back recently because I heard that an OC discussion area had been made available.

I respected the fact that OC talk was not appreciated in the forum overall, and I would hope that CC only folks would also respect this space as an OC talk spot.

I'm not saying CC only folks shouldn't come in this section and not participate and contribute, I also occassionally contribute in other areas if they interest me, but that if you all post in here you should at least participate in the spirit of it. Ask questions if you all have any. Share experiences if you have any. But do NOT talk down to Open Carriers, here or otherwise. If I'm wrong, the Big Bumper can bump my ass right on outta here. But I suspect I'm not.

This is the spot to "discuss OC in those states where it is legal to do so and is not meant to debate the virtues of OC vs CC."

No harm, no foul.
    I don't see where GBS is talking down to anyone, if he were, he would be dealt with. The topic of the thread is "If OC were legal, which way would you carry?" As GBS is in CA, and as CA is listed as a "rural" OC state, maybe he's just answering the question...

"If it were legal" does not mean "If it were wise."

My SERBU-SHORTY in a drop-leg platform with red-white-&-blue leg-ties would be inappropriate. So, G-21 in El-Paso rig, and extra mag on off-side. There have been a few times when I've deliberately shown my weapon & badge to assure some folks that they were not alone, as in carrying money-carts or -bags out to The Car.
    Last edited by SHIBBOLETH; November 26th, 2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spell

I wouldn't open carry in public for tactical reasons, but if it was legal in national forests where animal encounters were possible it might be a good idea.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroittwister View Post
    For me, I like to live by the code "Theres nothing tactical about open carry."
    I will always carry concealed.
    I believe a person carrying open would be the badguy's first target.
    How would you carry?
    In PA it is legal.

I do OC.

I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA holster for retention purposes.

Always concealed...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

My take on this is both are good ways to protect one's self and others.
    The concealed carry doe's not "scare the masses" like the so called open carry would. The police carry openly and no one is running around in a panic because they seen a GUN and the world is ending.
    I, as in me, myself think that open carry would detour crime because the criminal would see it as a threat to his live. He already knows of at least one obstacle to over come and he does not want to be confronted with this and would just abandon his crime to another place or time. If he see's no one carrying he is more likely to risk it and play the odds in his favor that no one has a gun but him. They are lots of articles I have read in magazines that once the criminal see's the gun then that's it, no more time to play, my mom's calling me home for diner. These are my opinions and anyway you chose to carry is fine with me, just as long as you are wearing pants.
    Tony Medlin

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    --- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.

OC not tactical???

I am always surprised when I hear people say that Open Carry isn't tactical. It would seem to me that deterrence is a very legitimate tactic. As Reagan said, "Peace Through Strength". Perhaps some may quibble that deterrence is more of a strategy than a tactic. That strikes me as playing word games.

Certainly if deterrence fails, it can be a tactical advantage to have been underestimated by th BG and be able to surprise the aggressor.

The major "dis-advantage" to OC is that you never know when it worked. BG's simply don't walk up and say, "Hey, I was going to put a cap in your ass, but then I saw that Glock on your hip. How do you like it?"

This same issue comes up in other contexts. For example, do NRA stickers on home windows discourage or encourage BNE's?

I would prefer to deter a potential attack and OC is legal in Virginia, but in Northern Virginia, it is certainly not common. I am unsure whether it is worth the social cost of dealing with gun hysterics. If more of you Northern Virginians would start OCing I would appreciate it. I'm more of a band-wagonner than a trail-blazer.

But back to OP question. If i were to OC, I'd carry strong hip OWB at about an FBI cant.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The topic of the thread is "If OC were legal, which way would you carry?"
    If that's true, than why are we getting so many "CC" answers, as opposed to IWB, OWB, etc.? Or is the OP really asking "Would you carry OC or CC"?

For me, I think the latter is an interesting topic, and I'm curious as to the other people's reasons. However, to Nelson's point above, if the topic is intended to be the former (and the thread title) question, than why aren't all the "CC" responses deleted, as they are inappropriate for this subforum?

BTW, I carry OWB, often in a paddle for the convenience of taking it off if I need to.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    If that's true, than why are we getting so many "CC" answers, as opposed to IWB, OWB, etc.? Or is the OP really asking "Would you carry OC or CC"?

For me, I think the latter is an interesting topic, and I'm curious as to the other people's reasons. However, to Nelson's point above, if the topic is intended to be the former (and the thread title) question, than why aren't all the "CC" responses deleted, as they are inappropriate for this subforum?

BTW, I carry OWB, often in a paddle for the convenience of taking it off if I need to.
    The OP is asking whether or not you would OC or CC given an option of both (or at least that is my take on it), the reason there are more CC answers is that this is primarily a Concealed Carry Forum and the OC Section is relatively new...the bulk of our member ship is concealed carriers that do not often OC or do not OC at all.

"If open carry was legal, how would you carry?"

Concealed.
    God, country, family.

Like the old west...two guns strapped to each side hip with a belt full of bullets. YEEEEHAAA !

Quote Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
    Like the old west...two guns strapped to each side hip with a belt full of bullets. YEEEEHAAA !
    Actually, I prefer Bruce Willis' answer of "Yippee-ki-yay, mofo."
    Last edited by Al Lowe; December 11th, 2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: I

There is a time and place for open carry. I would still CC most of the time but OC would have it's advantages in some cases.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links