Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged)

This is a discussion on Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 how does soccer = school? It's rec league soccer. It was NOT at a school. Any and all references to school ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    how does soccer = school? It's rec league soccer. It was NOT at a school. Any and all references to school property are irrelevent and moot.
    Sorry, at the time I made that post, I thought that it was a school soccer match and not a rec league soccer match.

Courts have upheld that non-school properties on which school sanctioned events are held are, for that time, considered school property. Events like proms held at catering halls, graduations held in public stadiums or auditoriums, sporting events held on public athletic fields.

I now understand that the soccer was not a school team and the field was not on school property.

You must have missed my second post:

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    If it was on non-school property and was not a school sanctioned event then she s/b ok.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

2. Remove Ads

She's a Pennsylvania citizen who has NO law that denies her the ability or right to go openly armed to that place ... and yet she actually gets her license revoked? If true, this shows in clear terms what's possible despite the law, merely based on mob rule.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I guess the sheriff is demonstrating "ignorance of the law", which I've heard is no excuse; or, he is willfully violating this woman's rights.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think this goes to show that there is a significant group of parents/adults, LEOs included, that do not embrace armed citizens.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think this goes to show that there is a significant group of parents/adults, LEOs included, that do not embrace armed citizens.
    ... even to the point of engaging in illegal actions in support of the contempt. That's where the line must be drawn, deeply.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

legislating from the barracks - and openly admited it.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    legislating from the barracks - and openly admited it.
    Must be an elitist.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    lack of judgement? why? because we shouldn't be able to protect our kids while they play sports? What kind of statement is that?

the mistake was not leaving/locking the gun away when asked to by an official in charge
    In Kansas a state law prohibits carrying at sporting events except for such events that involve sport shooting.

Considering how bloody goofy may people get at kids sporting events, I don't think it is such a bad idea.

Facts appear to be that she did NOTHING illegal.

IF that is the case, she should not be punished.

The Sheriff's letter stated that the reason for the revocation was that "unfortunately, some of the individuals . . . . were upset".

To me, it doesn't matter whether you like open carry or not or whether you think she should have concealed while at a kid's soccer game.

The important fact is that this Sheriff let his personal bias enter in the decision. He revoked her permit without any legal support.

It would be nice to see him voted out of office!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by jfrommbg View Post
    Yup. She did nothing illegal in PA. Soccer game was at a public place not on school property. She has a lawyer. She is appealing. She will win and get her LCTF back. I don't OC and I am not an OC fan but the law is the law and she was well within her PA constitutional rights to OC at the event. This is a no brainer slam dunk for her attorney. There are PA supreme court cases validating PA citizens rights to OC and there are other cases where a persons LCTF was reinstated for silly sheriff revocations for OC'ing. Personal judgements or approvals about her OC'ing at a kids soccer game are I guess debatable, but the legality of OC in this situation in PA is not.
    Same here. O/C is legal in Michigan too.
    The thing I like about O/C legal standing is things like; getting out of your car with no jacket on and then putting it on, F/A is in the open briefly, doesn't break a law. Wind catches your cover shirt, pops it open for a split second, no foul. I like the idea that if I WANT to carry openly, or feel for some reason I need to, I can. It is a right, and it is the way it should be. Tactical considerations aside, we are talking about legality.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by ImaShepardRU View Post
    Same here. O/C is legal in Michigan too.
    The thing I like about O/C legal standing is things like; getting out of your car with no jacket on and then putting it on, F/A is in the open briefly, doesn't break a law. Wind catches your cover shirt, pops it open for a split second, no foul. I like the idea that if I WANT to carry openly, or feel for some reason I need to, I can. It is a right, and it is the way it should be. Tactical considerations aside, we are talking about legality.
    bingo. let's keep this thread going along those lines.

Woman outed at Kid's Soccer Game - CCW Revoked

What a ridiculous situation. CCW revoked because she showed "poor judgement" by carrying at the soccer game. I anything, she should be praised for helping the sheeple in today's society. Doesn't say if she was OC'ing in the first place, or if the CCW was somehow seen. Either way it's really stupid. At least she can OC there. If that happened to a lot of us, we would be SOL with no OC laws.

Toting gun at soccer costs mom her permit | Wilkes-Barre News | The Times Leader

Senior Moderator
    Merged
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Bad judgment. She should have kept it in her car, if a shooting situation were to arise then she should have grabbed her kid and retreated to her car. Using the "I told you so" excuse for later when the mothers are like, "How could this have been prevented."

Between parents who fight over their kids soccer games, it is just a bad call to bring a gun to a kids game. Who is seriously going to shoot up a bunch of kids? If someone would (which is possible) then see my above statement.

I wouldn't bring a gun on grounds of my kids baseball game, I would keep it in my car... or carry a 2 shot in my boot.

That is just me though, I am one of those people who highly doubt I will run into a situation where a mad man shoots up a youth league, however if it would happen, my child and my own come first the police can deal with the others.

I don't know about the legality of her actions in that state, but that is about how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByCactus View Post
    Who is seriously going to shoot up a bunch of kids?
    I am speechless...

So being able to say "I told you so" is a good logic for disarming?

When seconds count my gun is only a few minutes away. Good idea. Why have such a thing as a Concealed carry permit anyway then?

Wouldn't it have been better to disagree with her and suggest she Conceal Carry than to suggest leaving it in your car? I think so.

But she had a choice in her state and she took it. A legal choice. And she caused no harm. Would she have been any less frightening to the others had they known she was armed but they couldn't see it? Does them being frightened mean they have a right to take away her rights?

I am not a proponent of open carry but, as it stands, she now has NO choice but to open carry if she wishes to stay armed. What the Sheriff did was force her to open carry as her only choice!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links