Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged)

This is a discussion on Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hudsonvalley America has become a land of whining, cower in the corner and beg for your life kinda' place......personally, I think it ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    America has become a land of whining, cower in the corner and beg for your life kinda' place......personally, I think it sucks.....
    +1

Glad this one turned out ok.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

this was ridiculous, nation of sheep......
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    The way I view this is that she used poor judgement regardless of what the law states. She had a license to conceal and common courtesy says she should have done it if it upset other people.
    How, exactly, is a person to know whether a given collection of people at a location on a given day will be composed of 100% sheep, only a percentage of nervous nellies, or folks with backbone and a sense of proportion? (Other than knowing all of society is that way, I mean.)

Some people get upset by too many lady bugs in the springtime. There's no telling what will set some folks off.

Simple logic dictates that, while people have the right to rush to judgment or lash out or call in an "airstrike" (ie, get someone arrested because they're fearful, not because any crime is being committed), at the very least the people charged with enforcing lawful order in the society SHOULD KNOW both the law and the nature of the criminal action they're attempting to enforce. Cramming mommy-may-I morals down the throats of a people without cause will go badly for everyone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think MP45man stated his mea culpa earlier in this thread...I don't think this horse needs to be beaten anymore.

In an earlier post, it was asked if referees should carry...Being a referee, I don't think they should...but then, I don't think they should be prohibited from carrying either.

I've carried when refereeing high school (when played on park soccer fields) and college games
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    She should of use some discretion like carrying concealed.Open carry at a school is an intimidating ,aggressive act anyway you slice it.Remember schools are liberal bastions and all the young crumb crunchers believe
    everything the teacher tells them especially about pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    She should of use some discretion like carrying concealed.Open carry at a school is an intimidating ,aggressive act anyway you slice it.Remember schools are liberal bastions and all the young crumb crunchers believe
    Please go back and read the thread...

She carried legally at a public park. She was NOT at a school.

She did nothing wrong...other people broke the law.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    How, exactly, is a person to know whether a given collection of people at a location on a given day will be composed of 100% sheep, only a percentage of nervous nellies, or folks with backbone and a sense of proportion? (Other than knowing all of society is that way, I mean.)

Some people get upset by too many lady bugs in the springtime. There's no telling what will set some folks off.

Simple logic dictates that, while people have the right to rush to judgment or lash out or call in an "airstrike" (ie, get someone arrested because they're fearful, not because any crime is being committed), at the very least the people charged with enforcing lawful order in the society SHOULD KNOW both the law and the nature of the criminal action they're attempting to enforce. Cramming mommy-may-I morals down the throats of a people without cause will go badly for everyone.
    +1 very good
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

me
    As a reminder, PA does not issue permits to conceal they issue licenses to carry. In some parts of the state having one is the only was to open carry.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Open carry at a school is an intimidating ,aggressive act anyway you slice it.
    Why so? That some folks get bent makes it aggressive?

Upstanding, non-criminal citizens are NOT a threat, and they shouldn't be seen so merely because they dress in black (or in any other fashion), bring the family "guard" dog as companion, or go armed. It's criminals that are the threat. People know this, even though they don't act that way when their feathers feel ruffled.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

couple of things:
    1. she was in a public park, where it's legal to carry any way you see fit.

2. to some people, concealing a 2 shot .22 derringer is an intimidating, aggressive act, becasue it's still a gun. method of carry is inconsequential.

3. the jury's still out on whether or not it's legal to carry in a school, but to those who choose to do it, they're wise enough to conceal. your statement was irrelevant, and served no purpose. you should use some discretion as to what you post, and where.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Go Meleanie!!

From Woman plans lawsuit in gun case - PennLive.com

LEBANON - Meleanie Hain's attorney says the Lebanon woman has endured the ridicule of neighbors and lost baby-sitting jobs since she achieved notoriety for openly, and legally, carrying a gun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game.

And it's Sheriff Michael DeLeo's fault, according to a malicious-prosecution lawsuit that civil rights attorney Matthew Weisberg said he plans to file Monday.

"The sheriff should have known Meleanie had the right to openly carry," the Philadelphia-area attorney said.

Since DeLeo tried to take away her permit to carry a concealed weapon, "she has become a pariah in her small community," Weisberg said.

Hain achieved national attention after she took a gun, holstered on her hip, to a soccer game Sept. 11 at Optimist Park in Lebanon. After some other parents complained, DeLeo revoked her concealed weapons permit, saying she showed poor judgment.

Lebanon County Judge Robert J. Eby reversed the sheriff's decision on appeal during a court hearing attended by about 60 gun rights activists.

Eby also lectured Hain, telling her that what is legal is not necessarily right. He asked her to conceal her gun if she carried it to soccer games. But Hain said after the hearing that she planned to continue carrying it openly since it is her right under the Second Amendment.

Weisberg said the parents who sent their children to her in-home baby-sitting service knew she openly carried a gun, but didn't care until after the sheriff revoked her license.

"She lost those jobs because of the negativity surrounding her prosecution," he said.

Weisberg said the lawsuit will seek damages for Hain's pain and suffering, as well as money for her attorney fees.

George Christiansen, attorney for the Lebanon County Sheriff's Department, acknowledged he has received a letter from Weisberg about the intention to sue, and he has turned it over to the county's insurance company.

"I don't know the legal basis for the lawsuit," Christiansen said. "Mike DeLeo exercised what the state statute put upon him regarding the issuance of permits. I'm convinced it was a valid judgment call. Everybody can sue anybody for anything."

DeLeo revoked Hain's permit under the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act, which gives sheriffs the right to deny permits to anyone "whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a dangerous manner to public safety."

"I just did my job," DeLeo said Tuesday. "The courts have ruled, and we respect that ruling."

MONICA VON DOBENECK: 832-2090 or mdobeneck@patriot-news.com

DeLeo revoked Hain's permit under the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act, which gives sheriffs the right to deny permits to anyone "whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a dangerous manner to public safety."
    And yet, it seemingly took the sheriff's action to destroy her character and reputation.

She should of use some discretion ...
    What you're saying is you would have chosen differently. She did in fact use discretion, though the carry mode might not have appeared discreet to the nervous nellies at the park. Ironically, it was the sheriff that committed the indiscretion.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i've had my own share of troubles OCing in my area, becasue of my ethnic background; i know this, because (white) friends of mine frequent the same areas i do, without any trouble.

I'm about a lily white as they come and my feeling about this is that it REALLY SUCKS!!

Some people think because they are in a position of power they can do whatever they want. The sheriff seems to be one of those people. Even though it's legal, he still determines if it's right.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Links