Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged)

This is a discussion on Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Associated Press: Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit 15 minutes ago LEBANON, Pa. (AP) — Officials ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged)

Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit (Merged)

The Associated Press: Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit

Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit

15 minutes ago

LEBANON, Pa. (AP) — Officials in Pennsylvania have revoked a woman's concealed-weapons permit because other parents complained that she was carrying her loaded handgun at her daughter's soccer games.
    Meleanie Hain says she's fighting the revocation by the Lebanon County sheriff.
    Hain lost the permit and got a warning from local soccer officials after a game on Sept. 11.
    Sheriff Michael DeLeo says openly carrying a weapon to a youth soccer match shows a lack of judgment.
    Hain tells the Lebanon Daily News she's always openly carried a firearm without any problems in the past.
    And her lawyer — Robert Magee — says that while Pennsylvania requires a permit for a concealed firearm, it doesn't require a license to carry one openly except in Philadelphia.
    Poor judgment IMHO.

She must be friends with or related to this twit:

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/29639859.html

Parents Picket Kermit School

Posted: 6:28 PM Sep 23, 2008
    Last Updated: 8:09 PM Sep 23, 2008
    Reporter: Carrie Cline
    Email Address: carrie.cline@wsaz.com

KERMIT, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Hitting the books or taking a bullet? That's the decision some parents felt they had to make Tuesday morning after a loaded weapon was found on school property. It's the latest in a long line of incidents parents say all centers around one parent and her child. So, parents sent signs loud and clear--they're fed up.

They say they want safer schools, a better environment and security system in their child’s school and these parents at Kermit K-8 are forming a different kind of PTA--Parents Taking Action.

Parents are particularly upset about an incident that happened Monday night involving Marsha Evans. She's a parent of two girls at the school. A parent they call aggressive.

“She came to school and got into a scuffle with a school employee. Then, later when police were taking her statement, they noticed a loaded gun in her car on school property,” said Jenta Cheung, a parent.

According to the Mingo County Sheriff's Department, Evans was arrested and charged with assault of a school employee and possession of a firearm on school property--a felony.

“We are very concerned about our students safety and take it very seriously,” said Dora Chaffin, school principal.

But, parents say this is far from the first time Evans and her daughter have caused trouble and they’re taking their children out of school until something is done about it.

“I’m very concerned about my child’s education, but if it’s a choice between their academics and a bullet, I’m sorry, that’s a no-brainer,” said Cheung.

“We’re bringing in two security guards to patrol the school property. We want to make sure everyone is safe,” said Chaffin.

Marsha Evans was arrested Monday night, but is free on a $1500 bond. No court date has been set yet. Mingo County Sheriff Lonnie Hannah says if convicted, Evans could be banned from school property.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    America has become a land of whining, cower in the corner and beg for your life kinda' place......personally, I think it sucks.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Well, if she got a warning from soccer officials, it sounds like she was asked by whomever is in charge of the soccer program to not carry her weapon. Technically, the soccer officials are in charge of that property while the game is in progress, and they do have the right to prohibit carrying a firearm. She chooses to continue carrying against their wishes/warning, then it could be trespassing.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Administrator
    She should have learned to pick her battles, now she is out of the fight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

lack of judgement? why? because we shouldn't be able to protect our kids while they play sports? What kind of statement is that?

the mistake was not leaving/locking the gun away when asked to by an official in charge
    Last edited by kohburn; September 24th, 2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: sorry bout the language
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post

the mistake was not leaving/locking the gun away when asked to by an official in charge
    Yup, that was poor judgement... or just conceal it and be done with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Well, if she got a warning from soccer officials, it sounds like she was asked by whomever is in charge of the soccer program to not carry her weapon. Technically, the soccer officials are in charge of that property while the game is in progress, and they do have the right to prohibit carrying a firearm. She chooses to continue carrying against their wishes/warning, then it could be trespassing.
    allow me to correct you. in PA, you are allowed to carry a gun on public property, including city and county parks, openly or concealed. as the soccer field was located on city property, the soccer officials had no right to eject her from the park. they gain no temporary tenant rights while using city property. the can ask her to stand on the sidelines, but not to leave the property. the soccer officials and county sheriff are completely in the wrong. also, she had OCed at other soccer games; this was the first time she was approached about it. she broke no laws whatsoever; this is a simple case of some simpletons being offended, and using their political connections to harrass someone they don't like.

Here are two links to the Pa Firearms Owners Association (PAFOA) forum where is is being covered in detail.

This first link is the quick and dirty of the specifics of the case:

shefearsnothing's Revocation and Legal Info thread

This is the long version with everyones comments:

LTCF REVOKED!

Damn monkey man you beat me to it, you are quick.

Also PA law is pretty clear about revoking LTCF, and lawfully open carrying a weapon is not one of the them. This has happened many times in PA. Sheriffs try to revoke someones license because they were open carrying, and everytime when it is appealed the judges slap them down hard. You can't revoke a permit just for open carrying (a completely legal act).

Was it the smartest thing to do??? Maybe not, thats a subject worthy of a thread by itself.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I'm still a firm believer that the reason people complain about guns is a combination of ignorance about guns, and not being used to seeing them.

If everything that owned a pistol legally, open carried it (legally and without being harassed by police) then the sheeple would be used to seeing them and not have such an issue.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    She had issues that were not appropiate for the place in question and now has bigger issues. People, we have to use our heads.

Thumbs down Lack of Judgement

The good news is permits are up in our area. However, even though PA has an open carry law, there are some places one needs to use better judgement. I don't know where the soccer match was, but most of them are on school property and it is illegal to have a firearm on school property in PA, even with a permit. If she was on school property, I doubt if the judge will overturn the Sheriff.
    Soccer Mom Targeted for Carrying Gun to Game|abc27 News

How long have we worked toward sensible CCW's? For an unthinking women like that to undo everyone's efforts really pisses me off. It will only go down as a strike against legal concealed carry in every media outlet around. She should be prosecuted.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Whoa, IF open carry was legal, and IF she were not in a prohibited place, there was nothing illegal. Wasn't there an example of overreaction and arrest heavily discussed here when some folks open carried in a PA restaurant?

Personally, I think poor judgment was used. Personally, the gun should have been concealed if only because of: a) the presence of children; b) school boy soccer matches have sometimes turned horribly violent when the parents interfere with the game or the refs. Perhaps, for that reason alone, it might have been wise to leave the gun at home-- better to duke it out (better yet not get involved and take your kid home at the earliest sign of trouble).

I think this news story gives us bad press, but ONLY if what was done was in fact illegal. If she carried onto school property, she deserves some sort of lesson. With, one more qualification please, provided that school property doesn't literally mean inside the building under PA law.

Even if the soccer match was held off school property, say at a specific field of a public park, there is a good chance that the judge will rule against the 'oc soccer mom' and say that the venue, while not school property, can, for the duration of the school event, be considered school property.

This would also apply to events such as proms held at private catering halls, graduations held at public auditoriums etc.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I notice that caption says "pistol packin soccer mom". Considering that PA is so liberal and anti-gun Rendel, I'm surprised they didn't somehow tie this to Gov. Palin. Just my thoughts on this.
    NRA Member
    Ret. LEO

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links