FL Open Carry - Page 2

FL Open Carry

This is a discussion on FL Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 5. The requirement to conceal a handgun can make it difficult to draw the weapon should the life of the carrier or the life of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FL Open Carry

VIP Member
    5. The requirement to conceal a handgun can make it difficult to draw the weapon should the life of the carrier or the life of someone else be in danger.
    I have a problem with using this point in the petition. It diverts attention from the Right to Carry to a question of technique and training which is not the matter of the subject.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I for one prefer concealed over open carry. A person openly displaying a weapon could be taken out by a BG before they even become aware of a threat. This happens to LEOs sometimes when they unknowingly walk into a crime in progress
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    I for one prefer concealed over open carry. A person openly displaying a weapon could be taken out by a BG before they even become aware of a threat. This happens to LEOs sometimes when they unknowingly walk into a crime in progress
    When is the last time it happened to a "civilian" ????
    I see this idea quoted pretty often, never heard about it happening !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Lightbulb

I would prefer that the legislature continue to license concealed carry and recognize the right of open carry of handguns not over <insert your favorite barrel length here> by anyone not prohibited from owning such a weapon.

I also think that any business desiring a 'No Open Carry' restriction be able to apply for a 'May Issue' permit from DOACS to post signs. OC at some of our favorite tourist haunts may reduce our tourism income, so it makes sense to allow companies to make a case for exception and pay a (hefty) fee for the privilege of limiting our rights on their premises. An exception would not apply to licensees carrying concealed.

Imagine renting a locker just outside the gates of a money pit to put your sidearm into before going in.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Signed. I'll still do my best to conceal at all times though.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I signed and forwarded the petition. I don't think I'd use open carry trhat much, but I'd like the option and I don't like "Big Brother" limiting how I chose to protect myself and family.

I have mixed feelings about open carry. My initial reaction is that with open carry I become a target for the lizard-brains. With concealed carry, I have a distinct advantage with my dress, demeanor and a concealed .45, where I would lose that advantage in a hostile situation - especially if I'm up against a savvy adversary who sees the gun and I become their main point of focus, i.e., eliminate the threat. I also do not want to be seen as the "man of the hour" in a situation where my judgment will be challenged immediately or where I am suddenly handed an "assignment" by some civilian moron, i.e., "hey dude, you've got a gun, shoot him/her!" or "he's got a gun, he should handle this situation!" or "he's got a gun, I feel threatened, so I'm going to level him!" or "he's got a gun, let him take care of the situation." I'm not a cop, I no longer carry the sword of the state and I don't want to be perceived as having that authority...it's dangerous, and I feel this is especially so in Florida. I'm not against it, but I don't want to carry openly. It's dangerous! There are other mitigating factors, also, especially when confronted with a nutcase who can legally carry a firearms openly. Raises legal issues, also, in self-defense. That's my two cents, and it's based on a lot of experience.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by joelg View Post
    There are other mitigating factors, also, especially when confronted with a nutcase who can legally carry a firearms openly.

I ran into one of those whilst vacationing in Tombstone, Arizona. I'd prefer those type OC than CC.

I'm not a fan of OC but I would be in support of it being an available option.

One can open carry shotguns and rifles here in Florida (I'm fairly certain - not 100% sure), but I certainly am not going to sling a shotgun on my back and go shopping!

Even if it was made legal, I don't think many people would actually OC and so I'm not sure it is a big deal. IMHO anyway.

Legal open carry!

Our Company had a contract at a large Diamond store, we had it 6 months.

I ran it mostly, uniformed armed G licensed Security Officer. Very visible Glock 19 with spare G17 Magazine, and a flashlight on the off side of belt.

The average customer, no problem... The English! on average, petrified!

"Is that a real gun?" "It's not loaded is it?" When my polite answer was forthcoming, complete with Liverpool accent to the question! Why would you carry a gun? the answer "To shoot bad people" or "because this is America"

I would have preferred CC but it is not allowed for Security to do that.

On visiting Arizona on several occasions, and seeing the odd individual with a pistol on belt, no one seemed concerned, no newspaper stories about the snatching of holstered guns.

Here in Florida it might effect the tourism industry?

Most likely would not.

JD
    Administrator
    I just whacked about 10 posts...

From the header above:

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

Oops. Sorry, done in ignorance.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Oops. Sorry, done in ignorance.
    No worries, this is a new sub-forum and there is still a learning curve.

I would like to have the right to open carry, and I think it could come in handy in some places, especially in the woods. I likely would carry concealed most of the time, but when hiking/camping/etc, when you are more likely to use is against a rattlesnake than a human, and when you are walking a lot it would be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    I would like to have the right to open carry, and I think it could come in handy in some places, especially in the woods. I likely would carry concealed most of the time, but when hiking/camping/etc, when you are more likely to use is against a rattlesnake than a human, and when you are walking a lot it would be more comfortable.

its legal to OC while camping, fishing and hunting according to FL law and on the way there and returning. Dont know if its done though?

CHAPTER 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.

Summary: Illegal without a permit.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.

Summary: Illegal where otherwise not allowed by law.

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.

(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

(4) CONSTRUCTION.--This act shall be liberally construed to carry out the declaration of policy herein and in favor of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes. This act is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms now guaranteed by law and decisions of the courts of Florida, and nothing herein shall impair or diminish any of such rights. This act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation in conflict herewith.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links