FL Open Carry

This is a discussion on FL Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This subject divides but I wanted to post here for our members in FL to decide. Florida Open Carry Petition...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL Open Carry

FL Open Carry

This subject divides but I wanted to post here for our members in FL to decide.

Florida Open Carry Petition
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Being able to have it seen at times without being charged with Brandishing could be handy. Making sure your shirt is tucked where the gun can be seen without drawing can deescalate some situations. I would like to have the option avaliable.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I would like to have the option and it would reduce the worry about accidentally flashing causing "Man with at gun!" syndrome. I definitely would not do it all the time however, as I believe it is more tactically sound to be concealed. In the car would be a good place to open carry for example, as it provides easier access.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Ron
    Only to avoid a potential brandishing issue. Would not otherwise open carry.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Printing is not brandishing. Brandishing is very specifically defined by FL statute. There is no situation where the ability to open carry would negate an actual act of brandishing.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Printing is not brandishing. Brandishing is very specifically defined by FL statute. There is no situation where the ability to open carry would negate an actual act of brandishing.
    Exhibiting a weapon in a "careless manner" is unlawful under current Florida law. So, it seems to me, that if my gun becomes clearly visible because my shirt rides up and say gets caught up on my belt, I may well be in violation.

That is different then my understanding of "printing." I think that if Florida had an open carry provision, that would not be the case.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Exhibiting a weapon in a "careless manner" is unlawful under current Florida law. So, it seems to me, that if my gun becomes clearly visible because my shirt rides up and say gets caught up on my belt, I may well be in violation.

That is different then my understanding of "printing." I think that if Florida had an open carry provision, that would not be the case.
    You're right in that the statute reads; If any person exhibits same (weapon) in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree.......

I was talking to Jon Gutmacher a couple of months back and at least to his knowlege, there has never been a charge brought against someone for inadvertant printing or momentary exposure of a properly licensed concealed weapon. His explanation.....the key word exhibits, which means the act has to be intentional.

Pull it out and wave it around or threaten someone with it and you're in trouble. Otherwise, FL is completely reasonable with the interpretation of what's appropriately concealed or not. If someone wants to carry openly, that's their business and I support their right to do so. But an open carry law isn't going to save someone from a brandishing charge in FL......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    You're right in that the statute reads; If any person exhibits same (weapon) in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree.......

I was talking to Jon Gutmacher a couple of months back and at least to his knowlege, there has never been a charge brought against someone for inadvertant printing or momentary exposure of a properly licensed concealed weapon. His explanation.....the key word exhibits, which means the act has to be intentional.

Pull it out and wave it around or threaten someone with it and you're in trouble. Otherwise, FL is completely reasonable with the interpretation of what's appropriately concealed or not. If someone wants to carry openly, that's their business and I support their right to do so. But an open carry law isn't going to save someone from a brandishing charge in FL......
    We are in agreement that an open carry law won't save you from a charge of "brandishing" if by that we limit the definition to intentionally waving it, etc.

And, Gutmacher is certainley correct that it is highly unlikely you would be prosecuted for a momentary exposure of your gun, my point was simply that an open carry statute would eliminate that possibility, not that it would validate taking out your gun and threatening with it.

J. R. R. Tolkien

BAC
    Signed and forwarded. I would like the option.

-B

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(2) "Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

FYI, this is when open carry is allowed in Florida (I took out all the stuff that isn't really applicable for us general folk):

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--
    (3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(g) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trap shooting, while at or going to or from shooting practice; or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for modern or antique firearms collecting, while such members are at or going to or from their collectors' gun shows, conventions, or exhibits;

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

(i) A person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person while engaged in the lawful course of such business;

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

(k) A person firing weapons in a safe and secure indoor range for testing and target practice;

(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person's manual possession;

(m) A person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper, concealed or otherwise, from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business or to a place of repair or back to his or her home or place of business;

(n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Signed, like the option but I conceal when not on duty.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I agree here...it would be my only concern for such a change in the law, but it's not really a problem for me either way.

Stay armed...concealed is concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Signed and forwarded. I would like the option.

-B
    +1 because it's not that I would, but that I could...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

I visited FL this summer from my OC state of VA. I suppose natives and residents are acclimated and used to CC there, but I found it hot and uncomfortable. One sweet moment I had was the ability to carry concealed in a restaurant with a bar, as long as I avoided the bar area. Unfortunately for us in VA we are required to OC in a venue that serves alcohol for consumption on premises. It was a nice change, but I wouldn't swap that for the discomfort of having to always conceal regardless of the weather. I hope you folks get the option. You don't have to do it, but having the option is nice. In addition, it's better to have your full right to carry than just half of it.

Personally I think that everyone over a certain age should be required to open carry a hand gun and be trained in how to shoot it. Imagine how different the thought process would be for a BG deciding to rob a little ol lady, if granny had a .45 on her hip. Thats just me though.

I agree the option would be nice. But how long would it remain an option if no one ever exercised it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links