Open carry in Michigan? - Page 3

Open carry in Michigan?

This is a discussion on Open carry in Michigan? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD Relating to MICHIGAN my question is WHERE this is allowed. is open carry allowed in all the same places that concealed ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Relating to MICHIGAN

my question is WHERE this is allowed. is open carry allowed in all the same places that concealed carry is allowed with a permit?

and the other question i have is that if i'm legally carrying my concealed handgun say inside the waistband at the small of my back and my sweater rides up without my knowledge and someone starts screaming bloody hell about my having a gun...what would be the ramifications? open carry being legal and all.
    The off limits places are similar. The difference being, that if you have a CPL, you can legally OC in places that are off limits to CC.

This is based on MI AG's Opinion 7113 found here.

Also, if you go to this conversation in OCDO, you will find it is supported by the MSP, again, based on the AG's Opinion. And the AG at the time, was our own Gov. Granholm.

And since Open carry is legal in MI, it doesn't matter if you print, or if your weapon becomes visible. This isn't Texas, so it's not a violation.

However, don't be surprised if someone says something.

Personally, I don't like SOB carry. And I really don't like to carry without a holster. Makes it too easy for anyone to grab it.

When I first got my MI CPL, back in 2003, I took the family to an ice cream place in Mason. I was wearing my pistol in a shoulder rig, under an untucked, unbuttoned shirt. It was a windy day. Yeah, I got a few looks, but no one said anything.

Then that winter, I went to the Quiznos in East Lansing, and apparently MSU PD was having a convention there. I ordered my food and left. I hadn't got more than 20 feet from the door before 2 officers hailed me. Politely. They inquired if I had a CPL, I said yes, and showed them, along with my ID. One said it was sort of obvious that I was packing. I said, "Yeah, .45s are hard to hide sometimes." He chuckled, and agreed. That was that.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Al, thanks for the info. I never noticed anyone OC'ing in my part of MI. A few of the cities on your list I frequent, too.
    MI OC is a growing group. We hold picnics all over the state. I've not been able to make any of them yet, mostly due to work. But I'm hoping that changes soon. There was also a meet and greet at the Capitol that was arranged by GOA. By request I don't believe anyone OC'ed in the Capitol building. But it gave us a chance to meet with law makers and make a good impression.

Myself, I do what I can by spreading the word. And of course, I OC as much as possible. I've OC'd in various parts of Lansing, and not had any problems.....yet. I do expect to get questioned by LE, sooner or later. But there are some who have not been questioned ever. It depends on how much the LE are aware of the law.

We've been educating them, one at a time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links