Open Carry States Queston ??? - Page 2

Open Carry States Queston ???

This is a discussion on Open Carry States Queston ??? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open carry gets others interested. It's a teaching tool....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Open carry gets others interested. It's a teaching tool.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

OC or CC? I do both...

I'll jump in since I actively carry both open and concealed:

I own a number of rental properties, many of which are not in the best parts of town. When I am working on my properties (usually alone), I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt, sweating heavily. I find CC'ing in those conditions to be uncomfortable at best.
    additionally, when I first bought one of my units, I had several neighborhood youths approach me to express their displeasure at find some "rich white guy" had bought a foreclosure, "stealing" someone's home from them.

Shortly thereafter, I began to carry,. openly at first, because my CHP had not come in yet. I have continued to open carry in large part, because I do not want any trouble, but I need to be prepared for it.

As a result of OC'ing, all the neighbors know I go around armed. That makes me a hard target for anyone thinking they can grab a little cash at rent time.

Since most of the robberies tend to be strong-arm, with mutiple BGs, I believe it has been an effective deterent. NO matter how many gang-bangers there are, if they aren't armed, they aren't going to pick a fight with someone they know is.

Additionally, even if they are armed, the last thing they want is a gun-fight. they want someone who will cower at the mere sight of a gun.

I don't always open carry, because as a REALTOR, most of my clients are sheeple, and when I am trying to do business, a 2nd amendment debate is rarely the best way to get their business. Additionally, dress in a collared shirt and sports coat at work, and without strapping a thigh hoslter on, it would be difficult to OC.

Instead, I simply wear an IWB at 3 o'clock and if, for whatever reason,. I get made, it at least in not the first thing potential clients have noticed/learned about me.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Now for my question.
    Why would someone want to open-carry verses a CCW ?
    I always felt that if you open-carried, you were a prime target to get shot if someone had bad intentions since you were a known threat.
    I asked a similar question on the Open Carry Concerns thread actually I asked for any verifiable evidence of anyone open carrying often get shot first? Or verifiable evidence they often get their gun taken away? There was only one instance that could be found if I recall correctly of a non LEO having their gun taken away and used against them. I would say that is pretty good evidence that those concerns while they may happen are extremely rare. IMO, lightening can strike you too but if you take care you can keep either from happening to you
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    ....I would say that ... those concerns while they may happen are extremely rare. IMO, lightening can strike you too but if you take care you can keep either from happening to you
    I also believe there is an equal chance of being blind-sided/mugged, and the BG finding a CC gun as a "bonus prize."
    Carrying a deadly weapon - either OC or CC - is a serious responsibilty; neither method of carry is any more nor any less so. It seems to me that whichever is most comfortable and natural to the wearer (mentally as well as physically) would generally be the "best" for him/her.
    Interestingly enough the first handgun laws were adamantly against CC because, as a person had no restrictions against the carrying of sidearms, only a person with "nefarious intent" would have a reason or desire to conceal said weapon. Makes sense, in a society that truly can carry freely (Like we were then).
    Also, IIRC, it seems that some of - if not the - first handgun laws were enacted in Texas, thanks to the post-Civil War Reconstruction and the accompanying "CarpetBaggers" that felt the need to supress/oppress the populace. (Sounds like a recurring theme, for some reason.... )

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I got my CPL to carry in the cities to keep from freaking people out and having people call police about a man with a gun. While on the farm and out in the hills or on a river I open carry. It is more accesible when not covered by a garment.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Why would someone want to open-carry versus a CCW?
    Most of the pros and cons of both concealed and open carry are located more in the opinion and feeling zone than in the fact zone, and can be debated ad infinitum.

Here are 3 answers to the question:

(1) Some OCers are on a mission to educate the public on 2A rights by supplying the opportunity for interested citizens to ask questions. One who exclusively conceals avoids any such opportunities.

(2) The OCer is in an area where OC is legal but either a CC permit is virtually impossible to get or the area is off-limits for CC.

(3) In Virginia, CC is prohibited by law in bars or restaurants that sell alcohol, but OC is legal. So the CCer has the choice of being unarmed or exposing the weapon while inside (i.e., the "Virginia Tuck"). [special case of (2)]

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Most of the pros and cons of both concealed and open carry are located more in the opinion and feeling zone than in the fact zone, and can be debated ad infinitum.

Here are 3 answers to the question:

(1) Some OCers are on a mission to educate the public on 2A rights by supplying the opportunity for interested citizens to ask questions. One who exclusively conceals avoids any such opportunities.

(2) The OCer is in an area where OC is legal but either a CC permit is virtually impossible to get or the area is off-limits for CC.

(3) In Virginia, CC is prohibited by law in bars or restaurants that sell alcohol, but OC is legal. So the CCer has the choice of being unarmed or exposing the weapon while inside (i.e., the "Virginia Tuck"). [special case of (2)]
    Don't forget:

(4) Comfort, 9 times out of 10 it's more comfortable to OC than CC (unless you CC with an OWB that's covered by clothing. OC is way more comfortable than IWB CC)

My answer to your original question Mi2AZ:
    Some feel more comfortable with OC, and able and aware to remain responsible enough to handle the situation they present. These people may feel that 'those that can, do - and can teach those that don't'. Excercising and KEEPING your rights have more responsibilities than just paying dues to a national organization or even lobbying our hired political masters. Some are comfortable enough to assist other citizens to 'relearn' their rights beyond what the MSM wants to indoctrinate them to. A good way is to be visible, be friendly, and be instructive. Many people don't even realize that they are already around firearm carriers everyday. I use this as an opportunity to help them relearn that normal people like themselves are endowed with the ability to be responsible to themselves and others around them. It really helps the light bulb to click on with alot of them, and those of us who want to retain our rights are happy to recruit plenty more to join us in that effort.

OC is not just helpful to educate and get more like minded brethren to excercise their rights, but also to educate and desenitize LE to law abiding behavior they weren't previously aware of. You are not provoking an incident with them and are doing nothing wrong. However, if your rights are violated while obeying the law not only do you have the right to have them held accountable for their unlawful actions, but bringing those actions to official light will help to ensure that proper training is conducted. Rosa didn't move because in her estimation LE might be insensitive to her position. But they never did that again.

If you aren't ready to stand up for your rights on your own against authority that's okay. You may be more comfortable excercising your rights with another OC companion that is. When you gain confidence that you are within your rights and have it demonstrated to you how to handle uninformed authority you will be more ready to strike out on your own.
    Last edited by JD; November 21st, 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post.

I always felt that if you open-carried, you were a prime target to get shot if someone had bad intentions since you were a known threat.
    As many times as I've heard this stated in theory, I'd be interested to hear of a real (documented) case of this occurring. Some of the objections (not just this one) sound more like anti's propaganda that has been picked up and passed along.
    It seems more likely that - with the possible exception of a large-scale, planned terrorist take-over plot (since they're often suicidal anyways) - the appearance of casually armed citizens going about their daily-life routines would only be discouraging to a criminal. After all (as discussed here many times), criminals are inherently as cowardly as they are lazy: they want an easy, quick victim - not a potential fight.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Administrator
    Actually...the open carry forum is new and not everybody did get the message.

You addressed his comment.
    Now even more members are aware of it so let's move on.
    Thanks!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links