A few random OC experinces..... - Page 2

A few random OC experinces.....

This is a discussion on A few random OC experinces..... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the main reason that so many police agencies keep giving bad advice and acting improperly in regards to OCing is that most states ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few random OC experinces.....

I think the main reason that so many police agencies keep giving bad advice and acting improperly in regards to OCing is that most states don't have a law that allows it nor do they have a law that prohibits it. Since it's not against the law, it's obviously allowed, but since it's usually pretty rare alot of these officers/agencies think it must be against the law (especially where you have to have a permit to carry concealed). Obviously there is more to it, but I think that accounts for a good chunk of the problems, lack of proper education (and not being smart enough to not handle something you don't know for 100% surety is illegal, i.e. you know what statute it violates).

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I open carry regularly and have had some experiences.

Memphis_Mike has mentioned OCing in Shelby County, but not Memphis because of lack of knowledge of the police. I was CCing last time I was downtown and noted multiple individuals without badges OCing.
    TN_Mike just works in Memphis. I live in Memphis and OC all the time.

I have not had any problems with Memphis PD and OC. I have had them ask about my holster and why the hammer was back on my 1911 and how long have you been carrying and comments like "I bet that keeps the panhandlers away from you in this part of town." Not one single problem with MPD, even during traffic stops. I OC when riding my bicycle (usually very early in the morning) and have had a few looks from patrolmen but no hassle. I think MPD is doing better with this part of their training so it is not a problem.

I stop at one c-store when I ride and forget my water bottle. The clerk knows me and knows that I carry. They have a bunch of cameras and a direct audio link to the alarm company. There is a at the alarm company that always asks the clerk on the PA system if everything is OK when he sees my gun. The clerk has a great sense of humor and always tells the guy at the alarm company that she feels much safer. The first time it happened I I have since given her a copy of TN gun laws that she stuck in her paperwork pouch with a note to pass it on to the security company. She always smiles when I stop by her store.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I was CCing last time I was downtown and noted multiple individuals without badges OCing.
    I might have been one of them. There are close to 35,000 permit holders in Shelby County. Not nearly enough, but it is getting better.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    TN_Mike just works in Memphis. I live in Memphis and OC all the time.
    Yep, I work down in Memphis. I live out in the county. I have recently, in the last 3 or 4 months, OC'ed a lot more in Memphis. I have not had any problems there yet either.

I am just a bit wary of the Memphis PD. I do not think all that highly of them....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Glad to see things are good in Tennessee.

I live in Northern Virginia. It is a very liberal area and the general rule in politics is that conservatives need not apply.

However, my open carry experience has led me to realize that regardless of the political leanings, open carry EVEN HERE is no big deal.

I usually carry concealed because of the whole tactical advantage argument, but I have and continue to carry openly on occassion.

My only LEO encounter was when a police officer questioned why I was carrying a 1911 when Sigs are available.

We had a nice light debate and he decided that even though I carried a 1911, it was good that I carried.

I have since moved to the dark side (Glock 19). Wonder how THAT debate would have gone.

Glad to see the open carry forum.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post

My only LEO encounter was when a police officer questioned why I was carrying a 1911 when Sigs are available.
    No, it wasnt me!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Glad to see things are good in Tennessee.

I live in Northern Virginia. It is a very liberal area and the general rule in politics is that conservatives need not apply.
    Shelby County is in the extreme Southwest corner of Tennessee, and it is by far, the most Liberal part of the state. My God is it Liberal. And even with that handicap holding it back, open carry is no big deal.

I must admit....after the election tonight, I am wanting to move to the East end of the state a lot more now. Living in the mountains is looking better and better all the time....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I must admit....after the election tonight, I am wanting to move to the East end of the state a lot more now. Living in the mountains is looking better and better all the time....
    Meh. Just come a little farther east on the Plain. The 731 is just fine. Leave that 901 stuff alone.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I can't really say I've had a negative experience OC seeing as I live in Arizona. The most I ever get is stares, sometimes hard stares at gas stations as I'm filling up, but it is mostly from elderly folks who are probably snowbirds. I had a guy, who later on ended up being a CCW permit course instructor, say to me as I walked by, "You don't really see guys your age [mid 20s] rockin' the 70 series [1911 Colt Commander]." I replied, "Yup, it's older than me."

Az is pretty good too

The only really bad one was actually in flagstaff this past weekend, It was cold when we started walking but the wind died and I removed my jacket. There was a Gay/lesbian rights demonstration blocking the sidewalk and I got a TON of stares and some jeers to which my response please excuse me just walking home, and my daughter saying HI Excuse me HI (shes only three)

I had a circle K clerk flip once to which the other clerk shouted from her stocking position " It's cool he's legal"

jfl
    The way you look and your attitude will - most of the time - make a difference.
    OC is not legal here in Florida, but I walked out of the men's room in a restaurant that's a hangout for the local SO, and my vest had got tucked behind my Glock; just got a humorous remark from one of the deputies and that was it. I am a clean cut old guy and it helps (getting old has to have some positives )
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links