A few random OC experinces.....

This is a discussion on A few random OC experinces..... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Shelby County Tennessee. Open carry is 100% legal in the state of Tennessee, our carry permits are Handgun Carry Permits, NOT Concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few random OC experinces.....

I live in Shelby County Tennessee. Open carry is 100% legal in the state of Tennessee, our carry permits are Handgun Carry Permits, NOT Concealed Carry Permits. Printing is not a problem either.

I open carry the vast majority of the time in the Spring, Summer and Fall at least when it isn't cold out. I don't go out of my way to OC, if it's cold I wear a jacket, no big deal. But it is so convenient and comfortable to not have to wear an extra outer cover garment during the hot Summer months.

I have NEVER had a bad experience or comment while open carrying. A few examples of the comments I have gotten are:

1. While OC'ing in the local Kroger grocery store, I was exiting the store and a uniformed on duty Shelby County Deputy asked me if I was off duty LEO. I said no, he then asked if I was just a permit holder open carrying and I said Yes. He then gave me a thumbs up and told me he likes to see that.

2. While standing in line at Subway, the fellow in line behind me asked me what model Glock I was wearing. When I responded that it was a G23, he pulled his unbuttoned, button up shirt he was using as a cover garment to reveal his own holstered Glock on his right hip and said "I am partial to the G19 myself." We then spent the rest of the time in line talking guns and holsters. We are now fairly good friends.

3. While paying for gas at a local gas station, I was asked by one of the other patrons what type of holster I had on. I told him about my Blackhawks SERPA and he asked where I bought it. I told him and he said he thought he might get one for his carry gun as he liked the retention features of the SERPA.

4. In the local Autozone Auto Parts store, I was buying shocks for my Jeep Cherokee when the clerk caught sight of my holster Glock. He asked if I would be wanted thr LEO discount. I told him I was not a LEO, just a regular guy who carries. He asked why I carried a gun and I told him "because I live in Shelby County", to which he responded, "sounds like a good idea to me".

I don't know about other parts of the country but, the police departments here in Shelby County go through training on private citizens open carrying and I have never had a problem with any of them. I have never had anyone freak out at seeing my gun and never had a bad word spoken to me because I was open carrying. This is a pretty good place to live for an open carrier.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I read this before I ever posted to this section. Why did you post a link for it Rick? Do you feel I violated these rules somehow??

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I read this before I ever posted to this section. Why did you post a link for it Rick? Do you feel I violated these rules somehow??

Well...because I assumed you did not read it. Not my call on rule violations...but I'll ask what your reasoning was to post OC experiences when there is a new OC site?

Rick

JD
    Administrator
    Well...because I assumed you did not read it. Not my call on rule violations...but I'll ask what your reasoning was to post OC experiences when there is a new OC site?

Rick
    Dude, you're posting in the Open Carry Issues & Discussion section of THIS forum, it's not a new site...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Dude, you're posing in the Open Carry section of THIS forum, it's not a new site...
    Totally my bad...and my apology Mike.

Rick

DC Founder
    It's confusing because overall the entire website is known as a forum, but in reality, each of the individual topic categories are really individual forums. A subforum is a forum within a forum like the Reloading subforum on this website. I hope that doesn't make it more confusing....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Totally my bad...and my apology Mike.

Rick
    No need to apologize Rick! Not a big deal at all. i can easily see where the confusion could happen. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    It's confusing because overall the entire website is known as a forum, but in reality, each of the individual topic categories are really individual forums. A subforum is a forum within a forum like the Reloading subforum on this website. I hope that doesn't make it more confusing....
    Uh.....I'm not uh.....that is to say.....confusing?.......I uh.....subforums are.....hmmm.....the whole site is a forum.........uh......confusing, no not at all......
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

TN_Mike, I like your experiences in Shelby County. Wish it was that way here.

I have some history in Shelby County--I donated $100 to a nice Highway Patrolman there once. Seriously, he was very polite as he wrote me out that ticket. He had been hiding between the interstate lanes in some pine trees. You probably know the area I'm talking about.

I learned a little about cruise control after that.

Anyway, back on your topic, I wish OC was as accepted here as it is in your area. Maybe later... maybe a long while later. I'm not gonna hold my breath.

My one LEO encounter while OC'ing was in a fast food restaurant, when I thought I was carrying concealed but my cover shirt had ridden up over the butt of the gun, exposing it. One customer saw it before I reconcealed and told three uniformed LEO's standing in the food-order line. I was already at my seat, reading the newspaper and eating a salad (very suspicious behavior!). One of the cops came over, politely asked to see my CHP and left me alone. I wasn't cheeky enough to point out to him that I hadn't been carrying concealed because, by the time he was with me, I was carrying concealed. His partner then came and sat at the table adjacent to me and started talking guns and asking about where I go shooting. The guy that had turned me in was in a booth behind me and must have been burning up to see that I got into no trouble.

By the way: Bumper, thanks for the new subform, er forum.

I open carried when jogging through a small New Mexico town while on vacation. It was the day after I'd almost been attacked by a couple dogs, and I hadn't yet realized how well my SmartCarry worked for jogging.

I got a few looks and a couple waves from passing drivers, but nary a word from anyone. I wish it was that accepted here.

Bumper
    I am glad you created the OC forum, as being new and posted a OC question, I was given links to the other forum, I don't like joining too many forums and to hard to keep up with. Now all I have to do is look for that topic.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I don't know about other parts of the country but, the police departments here in Shelby County go through training on private citizens open carrying and I have never had a problem with any of them. I have never had anyone freak out at seeing my gun and never had a bad word spoken to me because I was open carrying. This is a pretty good place to live for an open carrier.
    I wish it were like that here in the Atlanta area. I grew up in AZ, where OC was a pretty common thing. Here in GA, its legal to OC (if you have your permit) but its frowned upon. There was a man arrested not too long ago here in Paulding County for open carry, even though he was permited and was not breaking any laws.

The local police here for some reason have a huge misunderstaning of carry laws. A lot of them seem to think that its illegal. I was told my a county sheriff several months ago that my permit was not good to carry (I knew he was wrong, but I was curious what he thought it was) so I asked him what it was for then....He told me "It allows you to own and register firearms." I replied "So I can't own a firearm without one of these?" He said told me no. It was pretty ridiculous, I filed a complaint with their department the next day about it.

I don't think that they train officers here about carry laws, and its a shame. I've been pulled out of my car and disarmed during a traffic stop before....I've been told its illegal for me to carry, I've been told that I have to register my handgun, along with a lot of other outrageous things... From my experience, GA isn't a very carry friendly state.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I am glad you created the OC forum, as being new and posted a OC question, I was given links to the other forum, I don't like joining too many forums and to hard to keep up with. Now all I have to do is look for that topic.
    No problem, after tossing it back and forth for a long time, I just decided last night it might be time to add one. The staff agreed and <poof> here it is....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I open carry regularly and have had some experiences.

1. I switched from CC to OC in the mall parking lot. The security guards didn't like it and the police that they called on me called them stupid. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tennessee.html

2. I once stopped at a c-store at about 0100 on my bike. There were two city officers sitting in the store at separate benches. I walked in, made a head-call, paid for my gas, went out, gassed up, and went back in for my change. I didn't so much as catch a stare from the officers.

3. I stopped in that same c-store on a different date and the clerk asked me what I do. I told him that I'm a waiter. He said "A waiter with a gun?! That's so cool!" And began to ask me about the license. teaching opportunity.

4. I took advantage of the tiny human shields and the wariness of drivers on "Halloween" and went for a run in my hometown. I was wearing my thigh rig. I got passed once by the patrol unit and then about a mile later they came back and blue lighted me. The driver asked if I have a permit and then asked to see it. I pulled out the ID pouch hanging on my neck and he noted the card through the window. He said that he saw it and wished me a safe night. Then he asked if I were military.

Memphis_Mike has mentioned OCing in Shelby County, but not Memphis because of lack of knowledge of the police. I was CCing last time I was downtown and noted multiple individuals without badges OCing.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links