Open Carry in Colorado - Page 3

Open Carry in Colorado

This is a discussion on Open Carry in Colorado within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other than areas where you can't carry period , the "Open Carry" prohibitions that I know of for sure are within the city limits of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Open Carry in Colorado

Other than areas where you can't carry period, the "Open Carry" prohibitions that I know of for sure are within the city limits of Denver and in some other municipalities in Summit County (the ski areas).

I never open carry myself as I think one who carries should remain 'below the radar'. Sure, a BG seeing your sidearm might deter an attack; it might also encourage him to attempt to disarm you. Also, there are so many fraidy scaired out there; no reason to alarm them.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

A simple question

I have been through a million threads and can't find an answer to a simple question. Is it Legal to Openly carry a firearm in the state of Colorado? Does anyone have the answer to this question? If I carry my pistol in a holster on my hip am I within my legal rights?

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    IIRC the law in VA is 'if it is recognizable as a firearm'. I like that definition. This allows IWB, for instance, as long as a reasonable person would recognize that it is a firearm.
    that's a terrible definition . I had people IDENTIFY my holster...... saying "YOU HAVE A GUN ON YOU " .... and was in a restricted area. I didn't. I had a holster on, the gun wasn't in it. People will make BIG leaps, including police officers.

There was a group trying to "OUT" conceal carriers when the law first went into effect. I have had people constantly ID'g the print of my cell phone under my shirt .... as a GUN. They sure thought it was, and made a big deal about it....... and felt rather stupid when I sarcastically asked them if they were talking about my CELL PHONE ! ! !

I like ours much better..... essentially if it becomes accidentally exposed, it's not against the law. Essentially..... if it's covered (although may print badly) ... it's not agaisnt the law.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer22z View Post
    I have been through a million threads and can't find an answer to a simple question. Is it Legal to Openly carry a firearm in the state of Colorado? Does anyone have the answer to this question? If I carry my pistol in a holster on my hip am I within my legal rights?
    That question was answered several times in this thread. It is legal, in that it is not prohibited, except in limited circumstances, such as in Denver, federal courthouses, schools, etc. However, it can and does attract attention, so you need to be ready for some confrontations with LEOs, who are not always as familiar with the law as they should be. I was also told once by a LEO that open carry can be considered "brandishing" depending on how you do it.
    CJ_mp40c likes this.

I like ours much better..... essentially if it becomes accidentally exposed, it's not against the law. Essentially..... if it's covered (although may print badly) ... it's not agaisnt the law.[/QUOTE]

I like ours even better.:) We have OC.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    I like ours much better..... essentially if it becomes accidentally exposed, it's not against the law. Essentially..... if it's covered (although may print badly) ... it's not agaisnt the law.

I like ours even better.:) We have OC.
    We're getting there ..... alot of areas in the State have been OC. But, cities were allowed to make their "own" laws related to OC, so it was a hodge podge of things. Now, the state has pre-empted it and changed the law saying they cannot prohibit open carry, but the cities are resisting and still arresting people, so ...... it's going to the courts. It will get ruled eventually that OC has been pre-empted by the state and the cities will loose, but until then, it's a big hassle for anyone and everyone.

I think Colorado did the same thing, and a lot of cities had no OC laws.... and I understood the State of Colorado did the same thing and pre-empted it now.... that OC is legal. But, sounds like they are having the same issues with Cities not wanting to give it up ..... and harrassing people, etc. ... until the Courts tell them to stop doing it ....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Brandishing???

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpthompso View Post
    That question was answered several times in this thread. It is legal, in that it is not prohibited, except in limited circumstances, such as in Denver, federal courthouses, schools, etc. However, it can and does attract attention, so you need to be ready for some confrontations with LEOs, who are not always as familiar with the law as they should be. I was also told once by a LEO that open carry can be considered "brandishing" depending on how you do it.
    Lots of LEOs aren't up on gun laws and the "brandishing" comment just goes to prove that. Unless I am totally mistaken, there is no crime called brandishing in Colorado. There is however a crime called "felony menacing" which minimally, is drawing your firearm and pointing it at someone.

California however, DOES have laws against "brandishing" which can be loosely interpreted as any exposure, accidental or intentionally, of a concealed handgun all the way up to drawing your handgun and threatening someone with it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I wish there were more people OCing. I live in Estes Park, a quiet mountain town. I have OC'd before nobody noticed or cared. I noticed one pair of young fellas look at it and talk to each other before they went down a separate aisle in the local Saefway, but it was in spanglesh so I didn't know what it was they were talking about. I'll be submitting my CC permit this week, just think its atrocious that we have to pay to carry out of sight, in the interest of the people and their panic attacks. All this talk about tactical advantage shyte with CC is BS! It will FACT take you longer to get out of concealment and FACT cause concerns if you happen to print badly and/or flash a bit of the weapon upon normal daily movements. I do not and will not be purchasing super long baggy shirts to cover up my weapon, I have a small TAURUS PT145 with an IWB at 4 o'clock. It is small but around the house I know it will show when sitting or reaching down to pick something up, or after getting out of a vehicle. I don't like that I will have to constantly adjust my clothes to protect my weapon from view. It is a second amendment and I want to OC as much as possible, I will be able to carry my larger FNX-45 and it will still be more comfortable. Who here OC's in Larimer?

Also I am from a communist state of NY, and any civil liberties and rights I can have back I will use them every day!

DSC_4621.jpg

I only have an IWB holster for my little gun. If I wear it and either don't worry about printing, or tuck my shirt underneath the grip so it shows, there is no problem with that as I have read?
    I have an inexpensive slide in the mail but right now the Desantis sof tuk is all I have. I have always carried concealed but I am moving to WA where it will take me 90 days to establish residency, and WA doesn't recognize CO permits, so OC is my only real choice.

If FoxX makes your holster get it from them! i ordered my IWB for taurus PT145 on Amazon and got it in 8days.

I might check it out if the cheap one doesn't work out so well.
    I'd like to get one for the 229 also but they don't show fitment for that on their OWB holster. I already have a hybrid holster for it from Old Faithful on order, but it's been a little while...

There is a guy here in Castle Rock that has been OC'ing. I saw him at the dog park and Daz Bog (Russian coffee shop). He said that h local PD mad contact and that was all. Probably a MWAG call. Felony menacing is usually reserved for situations were someone is using the firearm in. Threading way that is just short of assault. I would think that the firearm would need to have been drawn or words would have o have been exchanged. I think road rage causes most of those charges.

You do need to be careful we're you go while OC'ing. Such as cit parks, PD building, city buildings, etc are posted in castle Rock.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links