As used in this part 2, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Bureau" means the Colorado bureau of investigation within the department of public safety.
(2) "Certified instructor" means an instructor for a firearms safety course who is certified as a firearms instructor by:
(a) A county, municipal, state, or federal law enforcement agency;
(b) The peace officer standards and training board created in section 24-31-302, C.R.S.;
(c) A federal military agency; or
(d) A national nonprofit organization that certifies firearms instructors, operates national firearms competitions, and provides training, including courses in personal protection, in small arms safety, use, and marksmanship.
(3) "Chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages to the extent that the applicant's normal faculties are impaired" means:
(a) The applicant has at any time been committed as an alcoholic pursuant to section 25-1-310 or 25-1-311, C.R.S.; or
(b) Within the ten-year period immediately preceding the date on which the permit application is submitted, the applicant:
(I) Has been committed as an alcoholic pursuant to section 25-1-308 or 25-1-309, C.R.S.; or
(II) Has had two or more alcohol-related convictions under section 42-4-1301 (1) or (2), C.R.S., or a law of another state that has similar elements, or revocations related to misdemeanor, alcohol-related convictions under section 42-2-126, C.R.S., or a law of another state that has similar elements.
(4) "Handgun" means a handgun as defined in section 18-12-101 (1) (e.5); except that the term does not include a machine gun as defined in section 18-12-101 (1) (g).
(5) "Handgun training class" means:
(a) A law enforcement training firearms safety course;
(b) A firearms safety course offered by a law enforcement agency, an institution of higher education, or a public or private institution or organization or firearms training school, that is open to the general public and is taught by a certified instructor; or
(c) A firearms safety course or class that is offered and taught by a certified instructor.
(6) "Permit" means a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to the provisions of this part 2; except that "permit" does not include a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.
(7) "Sheriff" means the sheriff of a county, or his or her designee, or the official who has the duties of a sheriff in a city and county, or his or her designee.
(8) "Training certificate" means a certificate, affidavit, or other document issued by the instructor, school, club, or organization that conducts a handgun training class that evidences an applicant's successful completion of the class requirements.
Source: L. 2003: Entire part added, p. 636, § 1, effective May 17.