Georgia Members

This is a discussion on Georgia Members within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here open carry in GA? I have my GFL, but have shied away from open carry here due to the horror stories with ...

Thread: Georgia Members

Georgia Members

Does anyone here open carry in GA? I have my GFL, but have shied away from open carry here due to the horror stories with LEOs that don't know the laws about it.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

Where are you in ATL? In the city or outside the perimeter? Are you under 30?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I'm in Paulding County, and yes I'm under 30
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

For many years I have preferred concealed carry and for several reasons. One is the element of surprise. Another is the reaction from the public in many areas. If your comfortable doing so that's your decision.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Wish I could help you - I'm your next door (Alabama) neighbor. I mostly CC but have at times OC mainly when at the Mall and the wife gets cold & needs my outer cover shirt - leaving my pistol exposed.
    When this has happened - no one seems to notice or if I see that they HAVE seen it - they just act normal - no reaction, just keep going their way.
    I do have to add - I'm not dressed raggeted either - no suit but dockers or decent jeans.... I think looks may have a lot to do with it.
    For God, Family and Country!

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    SE Georgia here. I conceal carry most of the time. I just don't want the hassle of spooking the public AND it's just nobody else's business. That's just me. When I do carry openly, it's more out of convience than anything else....range days and qualifications or I just didn't throw a 'cover' shirt on when I left the house for a quick run for whatever. Funny thing is, most of my open carrying has been done with/around off duty local LEO's that I sometimes end up at the range with.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org is a great site/fourm for all Georgia residents who carry to look at.....that topic is a common thread there.

Yes, the Atlanta area is notorious for 'disliking' it's residents 'packing' guns and all but hateing them doing so openly. I avoid open carrying most of thetime as I don't wantto be 'hassled' with 'notorious' behavior and like I said, nobody needs to know. I tend to like staying in the 'grey'.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You already know of two cases that happened very recently in Paulding county involving their illegal detention of lawful gun toters and the seizure of their firearms for open carry. The command staff at PCSD refuses to recognize the will of the Georgia Assembly so they'll be forced to in Federal court. If I were you, I'd definitely CC while there until the outcome of the 1983 suit has been decided. OTOH, I would not be so cautious in other counties. Where do you find yourself regularly besides Paulding?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I open carry at various times here in GA. I am approx 45 minutes north of Atlanta up 75. Never had an issue OCing. I disagree on the "element of surprise" as most people never notice the gun when OCing. I think for the most part it is a non issue. A criminal is not going to visually search each individual before engaging in a crime. They are most likey set on one agenda - their task at hand. I have read people getting harrassed, but have not witnessed it personally. Give it a shot and see what experiences you have - then report back.

smn
    I OC about 90% of the time around the Warner Robins area. I only CC when in malls. CC/OC is all about how you feel comfortable carrying your weapon. Confidence is everything.

If you haven't already, join GeorgiaCarry.org and check out the forums at GeorgiaPacking.org for what's going on in the state.

Yes, join GeorgiaCarry.org. They have done more for Georgia with regard to firearms rights than the NRA could dream of. I think it is $15 per year. But I always up mine to around $25-$35. They actually take the counties, cities, etc that violate the law to court. Everyone in GA that owns a firearm or is thinking about purchasing one - or that just wants to support our 2A rights, should join GCO. Every state should have their version of GCO

Links