Would You Walk in a Store If.......?

This is a discussion on Would You Walk in a Store If.......? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you open carry and go to a service station and a bunch of cops are standing by the door chit chatting, would you walk ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Would You Walk in a Store If.......?

If you open carry and go to a service station and a bunch of cops are standing by the door chit chatting, would you walk in that store or just move on? That was my scenario yesterday. Went to Exxon and as I pull up I see 4 cop cars just parked in the lot and 4 cops on the door with coffee mugs at hand. I chose not to go in just to avoid my face being slammed on the ground to check my permit. It's happened before. What would you do?

you think they would have dropped their coffee for that? ;-)
    rugerista likes this.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Depends on my mood, I suppose. If I was bored and had time to kill I might take the risk/opportunity to desensitize a few cops to what really should be a non-issue (assuming OC is legal...it is in MI). If I had somewhere to be I'd just pull my shirt over.

Apparently, since I have only open-carried on accident and at a scheduled opencarry picnic, I haven't ben bored enough to try scenario#1.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

The last time I open carried was when I lived in New Mexico and I didn't have any problems. I now only carry concealed for several reasons. I prefer the element of surprise and you never know how others may react to seeing a gun.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

I open carry around Law Enforcement an a daily basis.
    Fast food, shopping centers, convenience stores, you name it.

I have never had a bad situation. And as far as encounters or being approached, I'd have to say maybe 1 in 20. I'm usually in jeans and a dress shirt and wear at 4 o:clock. 50% of the time I wear a sport coat.
    When I'm approached it's usually something like:
    'Hi, hey are you Law Enforcement?'
    "No, but at this time I'm obligated to inform you I have a CCW, and obviously I'm carrying"
    'Ok, that's fine, I / we thought you might be from another department / agency"

And then it's typical gun talk about what we carry, where I practice, most ask if I get strange looks from other Civ's, to which I reply that most probably think I'm a cop like they had.
    Only once have I been asked for my permit and ID, never have I been disarmed.
    I've never felt uncomfortable in the situations when I'm approached and have always keep everything professional and non confrontational.

I'd go where I wanted to go. At least I still have the right to that sort of freedom. Carrying or not.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Why would cops deter me when I'm obeying the law?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    you think they would have dropped their coffee for that? ;-)
    I just wasn't in the mood to be bothered. Some cops are cool with this but others are just plain crazy. I looked at the fact that there were 4 of them and a deadly shooting of a neighborhood market owner this past week so I knew they would probably check me out. On top of this there was another shootout with the police just Friday. The odds were greatly against me.

Administrator
    Statement calls for imaginative speculation on the part of the OP.

"I chose not to go in just to avoid my face being slammed on the ground to check my permit."

Tell Us More...

Quote Originally Posted by cop2b View Post
    i chose not to go in (a place of business while open carrying) just to avoid my face being slammed (by police officers who were present) on the ground to check my permit. It's happened before.
    really???

M2
    If you are that worried about it, then why don't you simply conceal carry?

Open carry is not legal in Texas, and honestly even in this gun-friendly state I don't know if I would want that option. Concealed carry makes life easier for everyone, those sheepdogs who are carrying don't worry about situations like the OP's, and those sheep who don't like guns never know who is carrying.

And if there is a risk of being "slammed" because you open carry, then there are still problems with open carry in your area. If law-abiding citizens have to worry about being "slammed" by the police without probably cause, then I would be talking to a lawyer after the first time it would happen to me. I understand they have a right to ask for your permit; but they should not treat you like a criminal unless there is cause to do so. Do criminals in your area commonly walk around branishing their weapons??

Cheers! M2

Sure, I'd go in. Open carry is legal in Oregon. I've got a CHL. The few places that restrict loaded open carry in Oregon are preempted by the CHL laws, such that they don't apply to me if I'm carrying openly.

If I were to get slammed, so would the city/county. That's a fact. The bad eggs know this. So do I.

Reality is, I'm not overtly engaging in crime, I'm not making threats to anyone, and I'm simply going about my business. While it's certainly possible that a situation gets crammed down my throat, there is little reason for it to occur.

Probably, as they were grouped together and apparently not heavily encumbered by duty at the moment, I'd take the opportunity to thank them again for their service and hope that they were being safe out there. There are never enough opportunities to thank the good 'uns for what they do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've walked into a gas station with multiple officers sitting in at 0200ish. Here in West Tennessee, the police don't care.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DblTap View Post
    I open carry around Law Enforcement an a daily basis.
    Fast food, shopping centers, convenience stores, you name it.

I have never had a bad situation. And as far as encounters or being approached, I'd have to say maybe 1 in 20. I'm usually in jeans and a dress shirt and wear at 4 o:clock. 50% of the time I wear a sport coat.
    When I'm approached it's usually something like:
    'Hi, hey are you Law Enforcement?'
    "No, but at this time I'm obligated to inform you I have a CCW, and obviously I'm carrying"
    'Ok, that's fine, I / we thought you might be from another department / agency"

And then it's typical gun talk about what we carry, where I practice, most ask if I get strange looks from other Civ's, to which I reply that most probably think I'm a cop like they had.
    Only once have I been asked for my permit and ID, never have I been disarmed.
    I've never felt uncomfortable in the situations when I'm approached and have always keep everything professional and non confrontational.
    I understand NC law requires you to notify LEO you have a permit and are are carrying concealed. I couldn't find anything that requires you telling a LEO you have a permit when carrying open. If open carry is legal without a permit what difference does it make if you have a permit, and how can you be under any obligation to inform you have one?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    VA law requires open carry in places that serve alcohol by the drink. I have walked by LEO with gun in view and never been questioned about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links