OC in vehicle, WV specific

This is a discussion on OC in vehicle, WV specific within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm fairly new to WV and I'm confused by our state laws concerning the transportation of firearms; more specifically, pistols. From what I understand, a ...

I'm fairly new to WV and I'm confused by our state laws concerning the transportation of firearms; more specifically, pistols.

From what I understand, a weapon cannot be readily accessible and where would I store a pistol in a vehicle and still not have it considered concealed?

For example, my truck is a Ram regular cab with only a glove box and placing it in there would be considered concealed. I obviously can't keep it tucked between my seat and the center seat because it would be readily accessible, correct? So where do I store it unloaded and separate from the ammo? In the factory box or a bag or behind the bench seat? Isn't that also concealed? At least back home in NC, I only had to have it in plain view on the dash or on the passenger seat.

I don't see the point in having one with you if you can't have the weapon and ammo readily available in the event of a car jacking attempt. Sometimes it's like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't but until I get my CCW permit I would like to have a pistol with me when I'm on the road.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    West Virginia Code:

61-7-3. Carrying deadly weapon without license or other authorization; penalties.
    (a) Any person who carries a concealed deadly weapon, without a state license or other lawful authorization established under the provisions of this code, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars and may be imprisoned in the county jail for not more than twelve months for the first offense; but upon conviction of a second or subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned in the penitentiary not less than one nor more than five years and fined not less than one thousand dollars nor more than five thousand dollars.

[...]

61-7-6. Exceptions as to prohibitions against carrying concealed deadly weapons.
    The licensure provisions set forth in this article do not apply to:

(1) Any person carrying a deadly weapon upon his or her own premises; nor shall anything herein prevent a person from carrying any firearm, unloaded, from the place of purchase to his or her home, residence or place of business or to a place of repair and back to his or her home, residence or place of business, nor shall anything herein prohibit a person from possessing a firearm while hunting in a lawful manner or while traveling from his or her home, residence or place of business to a hunting site and returning to his or her home, residence or place of business;

(2) Any person who is a member of a properly organized target-shooting club authorized by law to obtain firearms by purchase or requisition from this state or from the United States for the purpose of target practice from carrying any pistol, as defined in this article, unloaded, from his or her home, residence or place of business to a place of target practice and from any place of target practice back to his or her home, residence or place of business, for using any such weapon at a place of target practice in training and improving his or her skill in the use of the weapons;

(3) Any law-enforcement officer or law-enforcement official as defined in section one, article twenty-nine, chapter thirty of this code;

(4) Any employee of the West Virginia Division of Corrections duly appointed pursuant to the provisions of section five, article five, chapter twenty-eight of this code while the employee is on duty;

(5) Any member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the militia of this state while the member is on duty;

(6) Any circuit judge, including any retired circuit judge designated senior status by the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, Prosecuting Attorney, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney or a duly appointed investigator employed by a Prosecuting Attorney;

(7) Any resident of another state who holds a valid license to carry a concealed weapon by a state or a political subdivision which has entered into a reciprocity agreement with this state, subject to the provisions and limitations set forth in section six-a of this article;

(8) Any federal law-enforcement officer or federal police officer authorized to carry a weapon in the performance of the officer's duty; and

(9) Any Hatfield-McCoy regional recreation authority ranger while the ranger is on duty.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Links