OC in a gun shop

This is a discussion on OC in a gun shop within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm only a very limited OC. I don't like drawing attention to myself. I must also admit, though I could very much be in the ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OC in a gun shop

OC in a gun shop

I'm only a very limited OC. I don't like drawing attention to myself. I must also admit, though I could very much be in the wrong, I don't want questions from LE.

But this got me to thinking. In the highest end range / gun shop I visit, they absolutely hate when people feel the need to show them where their CC is. The sales people don't like people making that motion and displaying a gun.

About 2 - 3 weeks ago I had a CC pocket carry S&W 642 Airweight. I would normally CC my Glock into the range (IWB / IWH). The pocket carry and IWH was uncomfortable, so I desided to carry in my Glock with a "Safepacker."

- Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

I got a few looks. Not sure if it was concern with how I carried in the firearm (could be interest in the holster). It counts as a CC in my book (if a woman can purse carry).

I don't know how they (gun shop) would feel if I OC in a range. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

In every gun shop I've been into, the workers are carrying open. As long as it's an open carry state (which Michigan is, I believe), I don't see why they'd look down on it. I may be wrong though...

-Jeff-

the only "gun shop" in my area that frowns on OC is Gander Mountain. but, i'd rather take my money somewhere else anyway. all the othr local shops couldn't care less how you carry; just come in, spend your money, and get out.

Ya, Bass Pro also has a problem with OC (at least in MI).

At the higher end range / gun shop I go to, about 95% of the time, the sales people CC IW or OW.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    the only "gun shop" in my area that frowns on OC is Gander Mountain.
    I OC when I loiter in Gander regularly. I've seen others OCing there as well.

The gun store where I shop and hang out has no problem with OC. They simply ask that one does not remove a loaded weapon from a holster except ICE. The staff OCs and I do on occasion.

The other gun shop has a sign up requiring firearms to be checked in at the door. I don't OC there.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    The other gun shop has a sign up requiring firearms to be checked in at the door.
    That's just stupid, IMO.

-Jeff-

Only once did I OC in a gun store. I was on my way home from the range carrying OWB (5Ē Govít model 1911A1) and did not have my jacket on. I stopped in to drop off some papers. No question or funny looks from anybody there.

I've open carried into every gun shop I go to here in Southwest Tennessee. Never had a problem with any of them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

There are a few shops in AZ where I was asked to unload my weapon. I just simply asked back to them "Do you mind if I spend my money somewhere else?" and walked out.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

There is a gun shop just outside of Oak Harbor, WA with a sign at the door "No loaded firearms allowed inside". ***? Sorry, if I have to turn around and go back to my car to unload my gun, it is much easier for me just to drive off.

Other stores in Oak Harbor are just fine. Sportsmans Warehouse has no problem with OC - again as long as it stays holstered, if you are shopping for an accessory for you carry gun, they require you to check it in with the customer service counter and they give you a tag for it that it is cleared.

Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor has a gun counter and they are extremely gun friendly.

There is shop near my home that does not allow loaded firearms in the store and there is a place right next to the door where you can unload. The employees all OC and wear matching uniforms.

Have carried openly a few times into gun shops, here. No biggie, so long as the store owner is kosher with the concept. (The ones that aren't comfortable with folks carrying into the shop, I don't patronize for long.)

But you bring up a good point. I agree with those who say that carried guns are not for show, not for display and not to be brought out of the holster unless a situation calls for lethal defense of your life. If you're going to have your gun worked on or evaluated, it should come into the shop in a separate container, clearly unloaded and prepared to be handled. All the better for avoiding ND's.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

the area of PA i live in, the northeast, has a growing population of transplants from from NY/NJ; they've managed to bring their big city "lifestyle" with them: increased drug traffic, violent crime, rudeness, and anti-gun sentiment. a lot of the bigger businesses feel they need to cater to them. it's why i avoid shopping at larger chain stores like Best Buy, Gander Mountain, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    the area of PA i live in, the northeast, has a growing population of transplants from from NY/NJ; they've managed to bring their big city "lifestyle" with them: increased drug traffic, violent crime, rudeness, and anti-gun sentiment. a lot of the bigger businesses feel they need to cater to them. it's why i avoid shopping at larger chain stores like Best Buy, Gander Mountain, etc.
    I live in NJ and get enough grief for just living here, don't pin the PA drug problem on us also.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I live in NJ and get enough grief for just living here, don't pin the PA drug problem on us also.
    i'm originally from NYC, and left to get away from all the urban nonsense. i stand by my statement.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links