An observation, and a polite request. - Page 2

An observation, and a polite request.

This is a discussion on An observation, and a polite request. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy You OCers have an even higher responsibility (because of visibility)to the 2a brotherhood to uphold our image in public. Heh, does ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: An observation, and a polite request.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You OCers have an even higher responsibility (because of visibility)to the 2a brotherhood to uphold our image in public.
    Heh, does this mean since I IWB carry I can still act like a knucklhead from time to time, as long as I am not wearing a DC.com shirt or anything when I do?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    Isn't being a knucklehead from time to time one of those unstated rights for us guys?
    Al Lowe likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    I don't mind debate, but I think that should be in a thread designated as such. When someone asks advice on how to OC, I do not want to see a bunch of posts in that thread advising against it. That's my point. Now, if someone asks whether or not to OC, or, would you OC, if it were legal, that's a different matter. Ok?
    Thank you Mr. Lowe. My feelings exactly.

I've lived in Arizona for almost thirty years, and it's been open carry the whole time (and a lot longer than that). While I find it's less obtrusive to carry concealed now that we have the option, every now and then I strap on the OWB and go about my business, just for grins and giggles. I do notice quite a difference in the past twelve or so years since CCW has been legal. Before, nobody gave a second look at an open handgun. I really do think that the sheep here are becoming more accustomed to not seeing guns. THIS IS ARIZONA FOR GOD'S SAKE. Except for Wyoming or Montana, I'd think there isn't a state where open carry is more accepted. I really do like the option of CCW, and take advantage of it daily. But I also think it's cool when I see a bunch of Harley riders heading down the highway with their weapons blowing in the wind.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    ....just not Mexican carry as that is not as safe.
    New Topic!!
    New thread!!
    I carry "Mexican-style" sometimes, because...

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Funny thing is when you are a hammer how everything looks like a nail! I am interested in self preservation is not good enough! We have a responsibility to learn as much as we can about all that we can so that we can make a difference. It really does go beyond personal preference.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

DC Founder
    The purpose of the OC forum is actually for those that are, in some way, interested in open carry, the same as the concealed carry forum are for those interested in that method of carry. I would ask those that visit just to drop a bomb on the "other side" to resist this temptation as you may not like the outcome. I will also ask that should this happen that instead of responding to these foolish posts that instead you use the report function to alert staff.

We will delete these types of posts and issue a warning. The same goes for the CC forum where an OC'r drops a bomb. If warnings don't work we can either issue points or adjust individual member permissions to deny entrance to a forum where they cannot follow the rules. And we will maintain our rules on civility in all forums.

All this being said, we really need to remember that this is not an "us vs them" issue. If one method or the other is not for you, that's fine, just don't do it. If someone else chooses to, it should have no effect on you. What we should be doing is acknowledging that we are all responsible gun owners, with the same interest in defending the lives of our families and ourselves. Whether one prefers to carry openly or concealed is nobody's concern but the individual's....
    Al Lowe, DaveH and RoadKill like this.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Spirited Debate

Well, spirited debate is healthy.
    Ideally though "debate" on a topic should advance the general knowledge of that topic and ultimately lead to a more intelligent "Pros VS Cons" conclusion and some increased finality regarding what is better or best.

The problem with debate on a large Internet forum is that there are always brand new debaters constantly walking into newly opened debate rooms...so the Open Carry VS Concealed Carry "debate" is eternally starting at Square One and always with the exact same initial points & arguments being constantly presented anew.

The argument is OLD but, at the very same time it is always Brand New to new people AKA our constant influx of new members.

So it becomes the same broken record playing the same exact song over and over again.

It's sort of like being a school teacher teaching a new classroom of students the same subject every school year.

Different students every new school year tend to have the exact same questions year to year and the "Answers" are new to them but are (to the teacher) the exact same rehashed answers given in previous years.

AND....if any forum members get tired of seeing the same old arguments presented over and over again...all I can say about THAT...is you should try being a forum Moderator for a while.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    The purpose of the OC forum is actually for those that are, in some way, interested in open carry, the same as the concealed carry forum are for those interested in that method of carry. I would ask those that visit just to drop a bomb on the "other side" to resist this temptation as you may not like the outcome. I will also ask that should this happen that instead of responding to these foolish posts that instead you use the report function to alert staff.

We will delete these types of posts and issue a warning. The same goes for the CC forum where an OC'r drops a bomb. If warnings don't work we can either issue points or adjust individual member permissions to deny entrance to a forum where they cannot follow the rules. And we will maintain our rules on civility in all forums.

All this being said, we really need to remember that this is not an "us vs them" issue. If one method or the other is not for you, that's fine, just don't do it. If someone else chooses to, it should have no effect on you. What we should be doing is acknowledging that we are all responsible gun owners, with the same interest in defending the lives of our families and ourselves. Whether one prefers to carry openly or concealed is nobody's concern but the individual's....
    I agree! We are working for the same cause keep it together guys.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

... so we are now agreed? .40 cal is better than 9mm and Dino Oil is better than synthetic... Right?

jfl
    I don't understand.
    I like beef medium, my wife likes it rare, a friend prefers chicken; why would we want to fight about it ???
    OC, CC, NC (no carry), car carry, and so on. All have their merits and drawbacks; we should be able to discuss those without arguing or trying to prove the other wrong; as several posters said, we are all in the same boat.
    Flame wars even with small flames are detrimental to ALL on the forum.

A big THANKS to the Mods to keep flames (and trolls) at bay; remember PDO.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Al Lowe...not commenting on your position, but you should also frequent http://opencarry.org/
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I have joined a lot of fun forums recently and have seen many of these OC/CC debates turn acrimonious. Why, I ask myself? For the gun community to shed a lot of the negative press we have unfairly received we all need to join together in a common cause to further lift our reputation in the eyes of the general public. I see good points on both sides of this debate. I conceal carry but would open carry if it suited me. 🗽

I have no problem with OC, if you're a rancher in Wyoming.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Al Lowe...not commenting on your position, but you should also frequent OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ...
    I do. You can find me listed there as "Big Gay Al."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links