An observation, and a polite request.

This is a discussion on An observation, and a polite request. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shockwave I have no problem with OC, if you're a rancher in Wyoming. Well, I'm no rancher, I live in Michigan, and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: An observation, and a polite request.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    I have no problem with OC, if you're a rancher in Wyoming.
    Well, I'm no rancher, I live in Michigan, and I OC as much as I can. Mostly according to the weather.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IMHO, those of us in the RKBA community should band together under the motto that "any attack on any aspect of the RKBA is an attack on all of us."

I get so tired of the "I support 2A but...."

IMHO, there are way too many folk who say "I [fill-in-the-blank with shoot clays, shoot paper, hunt, own a gun, etc, etc, etc] but I don't see the need for [again fill-in-the-blank].

Let's not fall for the divide-and-conquer tactics of the anties or aid and abet them in creating division among us or, worst yet IMHO, do it to ourselves.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

OC vs CC has +/- each. That is just a fact, and anyone who fails is being obtuse.

I have no problem with OC (well at least in my mind). My gut reaction to shockwave's comment is he is just wrong. Then I though about it, and maybe it is just honest.

I don't mind people who OC (after all, I do from time to time). I see it as a right, so not unlike someone saying what they think. I might not like what I hear but that does not mean I don't want them to have a voice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    ...I get so tired of the "I support 2A but.....
    Well, hate to be an example, but....

Tomorrow after church I don't want to go to Sunday lunch and see everyone with a sidearm strapped to their belt. Maybe you do, and some people like cucumbers pickled. In general, I'm very 2a, and that includes OC. There is some tipping point for me with OC. I was at a b-day party a few months back. Many people there were OC. They were also drinking heavly and at times flirting with their friend's wives. Playful for the most part. I know it might not be popular to say it on this forum, but in that situation, firearms made me uncomfortable (and at the time, I was sipping a half full can of beer that was getting to warm due to my pace while OCing).

So I hope you can understand where I'm comming from, and I see where you are comming from. I fully support OC, even thought I mostly CC. That being said, I don't want the food court at the mall to look like a modern western saloon gunslinger's pardise. I live in an OC state, so if that is what happens, I may deside not to go to that food court.

I don't want to hinder any carry method, just saying, my preference, and sometimes OC can be to much IMHO.

PS - Out of respect for the OP, hopefully I'm respecting the thread, not trying to troll. The OP is right, that often a relevant OC topic is derailed by those who just don't like OC. If OC is not for you, then by all means CC (and of couse the opposite is fine).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    ... and some people like cucumbers pickled.
    love sweet, dill, & sour pickles -- cucumbers, onion, tomato, watermelon rind, etc.

Bread & butter and sweet watermelon rind are one of my favorite food groups.

I don't want the food court at the mall to look like a modern western saloon gunslinger's pardise. I live in an OC state, so if that is what happens, I may deside not to go to that food court.
    I would love to see that.

I don't want to hinder any carry method, just saying, my preference, and sometimes OC can be to much IMHO.
    FWIIW, I CC far more than I OC. To be honest, I find CCing less stressful for some reason. Could be that I have had a number MWG incidents (all of which were handled quite well by the LEOs, BTW).

I'll never forget a NY'er who dropped a dime at a local restaurant, just off I-81, and ended up nearly getting arrested for a felony himself. The LEO showed up. Knew me. Said, "Hi." Went to the table of the NYer and explained the law. The NYer storm out of the restaurant (his family in tow) w/o finishing or paying for their meals. The LEO went after him. Brought him back in, physically; got the NYer's ID, etc; explained the legal concept of assault and battery; issued him a warning about resisting an officer & assault and battery of an officer ( 18.2-57. Assault and battery. ... C. ..."Class 6 felony, and, upon conviction, the sentence of such person shall include a mandatory minimum term of confinement of six months...."); and waited while irate NYer paid for his family's mostly uneaten meals. The NYer was very noisy in expressing his opinion of the LEO, Virginia, our laws, and "hillbillies and hicks."

Later, the LEO and I had a good laugh -- as my last name is Hicks.

I know that since Virginia started allowing CC in restaurants that serve alcohol (as long as you don't drink) I OC less than I did before the change in the law.

I don't CC rather than OC because of others' comfort level. IMHO, more OCing might well educate folk and I support and respect our OCers. I suspect that I CC rather than OC because of my own comfort level -- namely no need for even the rare MWG hassle when I'm out on an errand. Also, respect private property owners wishes as there are a number who request no OC on their property.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 24th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

IMO unless you have committed a crime so serious you are not allow a weapon at all you should be allowed to carry open or concealed any place you want.
    DaveH and Bkrazy like this.

Welcome to 2012, four year old thread revived to life..

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    Welcome to 2012, four year old thread revived to life..

Just when you thought it was dead and buried.

Zombies are quite popular these days.
    --------------------
    "Nothing is so dangerous as an idea, when it is the only one you have." -- Emile Chartier

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    Just when you thought it was dead and buried.
    Issues don't die until resolved.

Until Constitutional Carry is the norm, until nationwide the sight of a firearm doesn't result in a MWG call, until all citizens feel comfortable carrying however they want, and until the anties have lost ALL traction / are totally disrespected, we will have conversations like this -- be it a revised old thread or a new one opening on the same issue.

IMHO, it is good that the administrator leaves old threads active, as folk reading them and revising them can save some repetition.

Just wish more folk used the search feature and that it was more powerful -- i.e., w/ a Wildcard Character search;Phrase Search;Logic Conditions/connectors, such as "and", "or", and "and not"; Parentheses; and proximity operators,such as ss - to search for words within the same sentence and sp -to search words within the same paragraph.
    Bkrazy and Al Lowe like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    I do. You can find me listed there as "Big Gay Al."
    That made me laugh. Well worth having a 3+ year old thread resurrected.

(I'm super....Thank's for asking)
    atctimmy, pfries and Al Lowe like this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    (I'm super....Thank's for asking)
    Awesome. Cracks me up everytime.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links