Odd situation at the Irving...

This is a discussion on Odd situation at the Irving... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by raevan I personally don't like people walking up and talking to me if I don't know them. If some one trys and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd situation at the Irving...

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I personally don't like people walking up and talking to me if I don't know them.
    If some one trys and start a conversation I usually don't even bother answering them. How I carry is nobodys buisness and I don't talk about it.
    Well, if you carry concealed, then you have nothing to worry about. But if you OC, you should sort of expect questions. It's going to happen, whether you want it to or not.

2. Remove Ads

I personally don't like people walking up and talking to me if I don't know them.
    If some one trys and start a conversation I usually don't even bother answering them. How I carry is nobodys buisness and I don't talk about it.
    Not to be rude but do you have many friends? Seems to me that your world is pretty small and closed if you dont have conversations with strangers. You have never made a comment to any one at a restaurant or something like "hey ,nice car" or " wow thats a long line". Must be lonely. JMO.

It could have gone worse like the situation I was in that I posted on here awhile ago, but my guy was CC'ing and printing, not open carrying. I think the guy was just expecting a negative response so badly that he automatically took your question as hostile and responded as such.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I wouldn't have asked but, on the other hand, If he didn't want the attention why was he OCing?
    Man, I have heard this too many times. People who OC are not seeking attention. Why is that so hard to understand for some people?
    It is just a more convenient and every bit as legal way to carry.

To the OP, no I think asking was perfectly fine. If he was a bit gruff that may just have been his nature. No big deal. In my experience, we open carrier's tent to be a bit more friendly than those who feel compelled to conceal out of some concern that they may offend the .

I don't think you crossed any line in asking a simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    It seems to me, the person who was OCing, needs some sensitivity training.

MOST of us (but obviously not all) who OC, expect to be asked questions. Those of us who are active in the so-called "OC movement" welcome questions like the OP started with. It gives us a chance to "spread the gospel."

My guess is, the OCer that the OP approached, isn't interested in doing that.
    Agreed. I expect and in fact welcome questions when I am out and about openly carrying. It's always a chance to educate someone or find a new friend. Speaking of which...

Raven, I assume you have friends. If so, how did you ever meet them if you treat people like that when they try to talk to you?
    I will be the first to admit ( and my wife will be the second ) that I am not the most personable guy in the world, but if someone starts to talk to me, even a stranger, I will engage them in conversation. As long as I have not pegged them as a possible threat. Then, they get told to back off.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post
    I just wanted to have a brief conversation on the pitfalls of OC in NH. I've considered it, I'm just not sure how it will be perceived. Well I guess i'll just remain concealed.
    I have been experimenting a little with it lately in NH and have had mixed results. Pretty much anywhere North and West of Concord, no one gave me a second thought, though, only twice did I see someone else OCing.

I'm about half-way between Concord and Portsmouth and have never had any problems in my town, including restaurants, stores and gas stations. Got a couple questions, mostly regarding what it was, how I liked it, where do I shoot, etc. I had one person freak out in the local Hannaford, but the person that she was with calmed her down and she was better after they came over and talked to me. I happily answered her questions and she admitted that her apprehensions were based on lack of familiarity. I told her about some ways to get educated; she was either really interested or really scared....

I have yet to try a mall or anything closer to the MA border though. I don't exactly expect a friendly reception.....

There's a site, I think it's Ridley Report | The New Hampshire revolution is now televised . The guy who runs it, is sort of weird, but he has a lot of info on OC in New Hampshire, as part of the Free State program. You can also find him on Youtube.

He's one of those people who believe in NOT cooperating with the police, as long as he's not under arrest and such. i.e., he won't show identification, although he will give his name. Essentially, he's what some might term, "confrontational." But he's got lots of good info on OC in NH. If you can stand him otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post
    I would have if I could have identified it. Honestly though I dont think it would have made a difference. Usually I can talk to people and not be "intimidating" for lack of a better word, This guy I think just wanted to be left alone. I just wanted to have a brief conversation on the pitfalls of OC in NH. I've considered it, I'm just not sure how it will be perceived. Well I guess i'll just remain concealed.
    Don't give up so quick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links