Odd situation at the Irving...

This is a discussion on Odd situation at the Irving... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is battling laryngitis and asked me to pick her up some ice cream on the way home from work. I stopped at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd situation at the Irving...

My wife is battling laryngitis and asked me to pick her up some ice cream on the way home from work. I stopped at the Irving down the street. On the way out I noticed a guy with a motorcycle OCing while he drank his coffee. I asked him if anyone ever freaked out when they saw the gun. He got kind of defensive and said "who cares, I have a permit to carry concealed". I said no I understand that and OC is legal here in NH but I was just curious if any one had caused a stink about it. He told me that he had been mugged twice and was usually left alone since he started OC. He just seemed kind of annoyed that I asked. Should I not have? It seemed to be an innocent thing to ask since he had it prominently displayed on his hip. Any feedback? Was I wrong in asking? Thanks.

I wouldn't have asked but, on the other hand, If he didn't want the attention why was he OCing?

JD
    Administrator
    Open Carrying isn't always about wanting attention, but on the same hand, you need to be ready to answer some questions and be a good example. A quick answer, or even a more courteous reply would have been warranted IMHO.

Senior Moderator
    He just seemed kind of annoyed that I asked
    I'll bet he's been harrassed about it and expected the same so he was a bit defensive about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Open Carrying isn't always about wanting attention, but on the same hand, you need to be ready to answer some questions and be a good example. A quick answer, or even a more courteous reply would have been warranted IMHO.
    It's true that Open Carrying isn't always about wanting attention but it's a fact of life that Open Carrying is going to get attention. Those who open carry should be prepared to deal with it in a manner that reflects well on gun owners.

You might have commented on the beauty of his sidearm...positive starts can't hurt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You might have commented on the beauty of his sidearm...positive starts can't hurt.
    I agree. Build a rapport first. Show him you are on his side. He might have been a bit more friendly. OTOH, he should have been courteous regardless.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would have if I could have identified it. Honestly though I dont think it would have made a difference. Usually I can talk to people and not be "intimidating" for lack of a better word, This guy I think just wanted to be left alone. I just wanted to have a brief conversation on the pitfalls of OC in NH. I've considered it, I'm just not sure how it will be perceived. Well I guess i'll just remain concealed.

I don't think you were wrong for asking. Maybe he was just having a bad day, or like was said, was defensive based on past experiences.

I could walk up to 10 strangers and start a conversation about the weather, and I'd probably find a few who mouthed off at me because that's the way they were, or because they were having a bad day.

I agree he lost an opportunity to leave a good impression.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'll bet he's been harrassed about it and expected the same so he was a bit defensive about it.
    And then....there are a few people who just don't care.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Maybe the guy who walked by right before you grabbed his wife by the arm and pointed at him saying "OMG! Look....a man with a gun!!!"
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The world is filled with all kinds of people, all kinds of mixes. You talk to strangers, you take your chances.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

OC'ing won't get him left alone if that was his ultimate goal.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It seems to me, the person who was OCing, needs some sensitivity training.

MOST of us (but obviously not all) who OC, expect to be asked questions. Those of us who are active in the so-called "OC movement" welcome questions like the OP started with. It gives us a chance to "spread the gospel."

My guess is, the OCer that the OP approached, isn't interested in doing that.
    Last edited by Al Lowe; November 16th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling

I personally don't like people walking up and talking to me if I don't know them.
    If some one trys and start a conversation I usually don't even bother answering them. How I carry is nobodys buisness and I don't talk about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links