Open carry from Nevada to California

This is a discussion on Open carry from Nevada to California within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i live in Southern Nevada right on the Arizona and California border. An avid motorcycle rider ,i often ride the three states in the course ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open carry from Nevada to California

Open carry from Nevada to California

i live in Southern Nevada right on the Arizona and California border. An avid motorcycle rider ,i often ride the three states in the course of a few hours ride. Recently obtained a revolver. Open carry in Nevada and Arizona is straight forward according to my on-line research and might be straight forward in California, as well. Just read a document called open carry flyer. My conclusion reading the document and some other references on-line is that i can legally carry my revolver ,unloaded, in the trunk (top case of my bike) as i transit through California and contrary to what i had 'heard' before there is no need to carry the ammo in a separate
    location as long as it is not attached to the weapon.
    Correct?

2. Remove Ads

It was my understanding, not necessarily correct, that open carry is allowed in county areas outside of incorporated cities. Check into it, my sources are not the best.

Have you tried Handgunlaw.us That's probably the best resource when traveling, or for different state laws regarding concealed carry for that matter. Just my .02

-Jeff-

You can open carry in CA, in certain places, counties with a residency of 20,000 or less I do believe. Anymore and it is a no no. On the other hand you are also riding in one of the most anti-gun liberal filled places in the US. If a citizen sees you open carrying and calls you in, more than likely you will get your pistol taken away and you will be arrested for disturbing the peace, and scaring a sheeple.

A brother biker open carrying in Calif. You are living on the edge.

I spend 30 years in Southern Nevada, Rode Harleys.

I feel your concern. especally if you are wearing a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    A brother biker open carrying in Calif. You are living on the edge.

I spend 30 years in Southern Nevada, Rode Harleys.

I feel your concern. especally if you are wearing a cut.
    How about carrying it unloaded in the saddlebag locked. From what i read that is legal.

To transport a firearm in California you need to have the firearm unloaded and locked in a container or the trunk of the vehicle. The ammo MUST NOT be able to "touch" the firearm. (So keep the ammo/mag somewhere other than inside the locked container.)

You do NOT have to separately lock up the ammo, just keep it away from the firearm.

You do NOT have to unload the magazine as a loaded magazine is NOT considered a firearm (unless you're a gang member).

Realize that open carry of a firearm and transporting a firearm are two different things. You CANNOT "open carry" while driving/riding in California.

In the OP's situation, put the revolver in a locking gun rug and put it into the rear trunk on the bike. You can keep the ammo in the trunk too, just not inside the gun rug.

We were *Paranoid enought that even riding to Baker or making the loop from Vegas to Searchlight to Nippon to StateLine, once we crossed into Calif the guns went into the chase vehicle locked where the driver couldn't reach them, (most of the time someone's OL lady was driving ) and the chase vehicle stayed far enough away it was not noticeable as a chase vehicle.

*Several bad experiences. however none concerning weapons. just some serious harrassment, by CHP.

Forget Ca ride in NV, AZ, and UT

Since I live in CA and have a CCW permit here, I wanted to clarify the very confusing CA open-carry laws:

In CA, there are CCW permits and open-carry permits. Counties with populations over 200,000 may only issue CCW permits (45 out of 53 counties issue to ordinary citizens, just not LA, SF, or SD obviously). Counties under 200,000 may issue either CCW *or* open-carry permits.

So, contrary to popular belief, you may not open carry in a county with under 200,000 people unless you have a valid open carry permit.

Open carry of an UNLOADED firearm is legal anywhere in CA without a permit, but that is entirely pointless, and you will be harassed by CHP to no end. Better off to avoid CA entirely as someone suggested.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by nevercoldcal View Post
    Since I live in CA and have a CCW permit here, I wanted to clarify the very confusing CA open-carry laws:

In CA, there are CCW permits and open-carry permits. Counties with populations over 200,000 may only issue CCW permits (45 out of 53 counties issue to ordinary citizens, just not LA, SF, or SD obviously). Counties under 200,000 may issue either CCW *or* open-carry permits.

So, contrary to popular belief, you may not open carry in a county with under 200,000 people unless you have a valid open carry permit.

Open carry of an UNLOADED firearm is legal anywhere in CA without a permit, but that is entirely pointless, and you will be harassed by CHP to no end. Better off to avoid CA entirely as someone suggested.

Hope this helps!
    Your "clarification" isn't correct. You are right about the issuance of an "open carry permit" in counties less than 200,000. You are flat wrong about open carry.

In California, you can openly carry an unloaded firearm ONLY in a belt holster. HOWEVER, you cannot openly carry a firearm within a school zone whether unloaded or not. Nor can you carry in a government building, the P.O., etc.

You CAN openly carry a loaded firearm in unincorporated areas so long as the discharge of a firearm is allowed in that area, subject to the restrictions above. You CAN openly carry a loaded or unloaded firearm in incorporated areas IF you are on private property, with no public access, subject to the restrictions above. You also CAN openly carry a loaded firearm at your principle place of business, or inside your home.

Open carry in California is subject to a lot of different rules and regulations depending on exactly where you are at the time. If you don't know the rules, you should learn them as there may come a time when you need to know what is allowed and what is not. Even to those of us with a CCW in California this info is something that needs to be known as our family members who do not have a CCW have to abide by these rules.
    Last edited by Rob P.; February 9th, 2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: stop, drop, roll

Carry From NV to CA

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Your "clarification" isn't correct. You are right about the issuance of an "open carry permit" in counties less than 200,000. You are flat wrong about open carry.

In California, you can openly carry an unloaded firearm ONLY in a belt holster. HOWEVER, you cannot openly carry a firearm within a school zone whether unloaded or not. Nor can you carry in a government building, the P.O., etc.

You CAN openly carry a loaded firearm in unincorporated areas so long as the discharge of a firearm is allowed in that area, subject to the restrictions above. You CAN openly carry a loaded or unloaded firearm in incorporated areas IF you are on private property, with no public access, subject to the restrictions above. You also CAN openly carry a loaded firearm at your principle place of business, or inside your home.

Open carry in California is subject to a lot of different rules and regulations depending on exactly where you are at the time. If you don't know the rules, you should learn them as there may come a time when you need to know what is allowed and what is not. Even to those of us with a CCW in California this info is something that needs to be known as our family members who do not have a CCW have to abide by these rules.
    I live in Las Vegas and occasionally do drive to southern CA for various reasons. Each time I decided against it because of the handgun laws in CA. Based upon where you are the laws are subject to change in the mode your handgun is at that moment. Why take the chance?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

wow, an entire thread about the "law" in California, and I have no idea what is possible or legal.

It is almost as if they want the laws to be so convoluted from block to block that you cannot possibly own a gun legally if you own a car.

Open Carry in CA

I have been reading about the open carry laws in California, and I have come to understand that the last few posts are true. I never thought that would leave much reason to actually open carry where it is only legal to open carry UNLOADED. I now have a reason, and possibly more than one. I occassionally carry OWB at home (I work from home) and around my property. If I want to run over to grab some lunch in the drive through, I can simply unload my weapon with out having to actually remove it. Sure I might as well just take the gun out and leave it at home. There can be a number of reasons why I would not want to do that (today it is that I am breaking in a new holster!), but from what I have read it seems perfectly legal. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
    I have been reading about the open carry laws in California, and I have come to understand that the last few posts are true. I never thought that would leave much reason to actually open carry where it is only legal to open carry UNLOADED. I now have a reason, and possibly more than one. I occassionally carry OWB at home (I work from home) and around my property. If I want to run over to grab some lunch in the drive through, I can simply unload my weapon with out having to actually remove it. Sure I might as well just take the gun out and leave it at home. There can be a number of reasons why I would not want to do that (today it is that I am breaking in a new holster!), but from what I have read it seems perfectly legal. Am I wrong?
    For the most part, this is true. UNLESS!!

Unless you are within 1000 ft of a school or other "gun free zone" at any time during the trip.

Unless you drive over to the choke & puke.

Unless you wear a jacket or long overshirt or anything else that hangs over your belt.

Unless your holster isn't a belt holster

Unless your belt holster is a IWB type (Some say this is ok. I'm not gonna be the test case.)

Unless the gun isn't registered to you with the DOJ.

Unless . . .

Well, you get the picture.

What is the "Choke and Puke"?

All good points otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links