Funny comment from the UPS guy - Page 3

Funny comment from the UPS guy

This is a discussion on Funny comment from the UPS guy within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pro2A I deliver pizzas... I'm not supposed to carry, but I do Good for you! You are a smart individual. Originally Posted ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Funny comment from the UPS guy

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I deliver pizzas... I'm not supposed to carry, but I do
    Good for you! You are a smart individual.

Quote Originally Posted by sigman232 View Post
    How can these companies expect the employees to be required to go into dangerous situations w/o protection? They can't guarantee the safety of their drivers. I'd never want the job.
    I agree.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    Sweet. I've always wondered what my UPS guy thinks when he's bringing me large, heavy boxes that are marked "small arms ammunition" all over them. Haha. Glad to hear that you had a good experience!
    More ammo that I can't shoot {sigh}
    That's what I think when I drop deliver large orders of ammo.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

My UPS guys knows and does not mind, plus he leaves a treat for the dog with each delivery!!!! Wonder why he gets a holiday tip
    Last edited by philman; November 27th, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

UPS has a no weapons policy period and this includes pepper spray and mace. If you even have a gun locked in your car on UPS property you can be fired, however many of us do so. Basically it boils down to liability. UPS is so scared of lawsuits that they would rather put it's drivers in danger. We are easily replaced and cheaper to do so. Having said that the Diad IV makes a wonderful weapon using the carry handle.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    UPS has a no weapons policy period and this includes pepper spray and mace. If you even have a gun locked in your car on UPS property you can be fired, however many of us do so. Basically it boils down to liability. UPS is so scared of lawsuits that they would rather put it's drivers in danger. We are easily replaced and cheaper to do so. Having said that the Diad IV makes a wonderful weapon using the carry handle.
    Interesting, how many UPS guys get killed a year by criminal acts that would have otherwise been stopped by the driver carrying?

If the numbers truly justify your opinion then I would agree that they (UPS) take the point of view that you are easily replaced. I doubt that is the case, but would like to hear the numbers. Many people like to say "we are easily replaced" but in fact that is seldom true from a cost point of view.
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

If the numbers truly justify your opinion then I would agree that they (UPS) take the point of view that you are easily replaced. I doubt that is the case, but would like to hear the numbers.
    One would be too many.

Hell, risking the lives of their employees by not letting them protect themselves is too many.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

no they aren't allowed to carry...we aren't even allowed to have guns/weapons on the property. used to be a internal memo posted in the back of the building saying something about not even being allowed to have weapons/firearms in our own vehicles in the parking lot but thankfully florida's new law took care of that :-D Don't know about up there in TN but here in orlando there are quite a few of us...its going to suck if i ever start driving for UPS some of the places i'm going to go to in orlando....uhg lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
    I can tell you right now that overnight FedEx and UPS also carry lots of critters. For instance, tarantulas, scorpions, snakes, poisonous frogs, millipedes and centipedes, they're all sent overnight from dealers/breeders to their new owners' homes. It's probably best that the FedEx and UPS guys don't know what they're carrying
    frogs and fish...i like seeing the cricket packages and the live bee packages those are always fun to pass on to an unwary sorter :-D

i always wondered if anyone had considered using those or not i remember in driving class we used version 3 and they were quite hefty lol. the orlando hub has the same policy about the vehicles but new florida law says otherwise. supposidly somewhere in our union contract it says we're not allowed to sue ups though...or so i'm told anyway

Having said that the Diad IV makes a wonderful weapon using the carry handle.
    When I used to work for UPS we had a UPS driver defend himself with one as a dog attacked, with good success.

I tell you guys what if someone was smart they would steal a UPS truck, there is a lot of valuable items on those things when the leave the station in the morning. Way more then one would would think.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    One would be too many.

Hell, risking the lives of their employees by not letting them protect themselves is too many.
    Very true, you can say that of every job on the planet. However, from a financial point of view, there has to be some justification either way. If no one gets killed or severely injured, or at least the numbers are low, then the other side of the coin, the potential law suit costs, I am sure, come into play.

Its important to remember that we as pro-gun carrying folks, basically do that under our own umbrella of liability. As an employee, you potentially drag your employer into your decision to carry a gun, the correctness of it aside.

There is also the commercial implications, "all our drivers are armed for your protection" Not sure that would sell to the majority of the public.

Not particularly agreeing with the decision, but I can see the other side of why.

At my work, we have a specific no gun policy. I don't particularly care for it, and would be comfortable carrying, but I would not be comfortable with some of our employees having even a sharp screwdriver. So, I see the reasoning.

honestly, if someone pulls a gun on me they can have the whole dang truck. I just hope that option is available. As Philman says there are some of my co-workers who are dangerous enough with an ink pen let alone a handgun.

oh yeah, my diad IV has landed across more than one dogs nose. it's funny to because they have a look of "what the hell was that?"
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

at least ups knew you were one of the good guys.
    i wish all civilians could understand this..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, you do know the UPS guys are actually under the division of homeland security don't you? They have to report incidents like this when they get back to the terminal. Don't be surprised one day if you see a whole fleet of UPS vans coming down the road toward your house. Oh......they won't be marked with UPS on the side....matter of fact, they won't be marked at all. I'm just saying......be ready!

I searched around online for a link between the United Parcel Service and the DHS.....couldn't find anything. Can you post up a link to where we can read about it?
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I think he's just being funny. I see illegal activity frequently and unless it's violent crime I look the other way. There is no policy requiring us to report anything unless it is directed toward us. Besides that would slow us down and cost the company money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links