Can you OC in states if you are not a resident?

This is a discussion on Can you OC in states if you are not a resident? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pro2A Well it's good to know if I am ever in Michigan I can OC and CC both with my PA resident ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can you OC in states if you are not a resident?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Well it's good to know if I am ever in Michigan I can OC and CC both with my PA resident permit :-)
    And with your permit, you can carry in your car. Michigan is like PA in that, your pistol is considered concealed when you get in your vehicle. That sort of sucks, for non licensees, but not much we can do about it, unless we all get elected to the gov's office and the legislature.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Some that do allow this, you'd need a reciprocal permit to do so.

I'm pretty sure only a handful of states require a permit (or recognized permit) to OC. Laws to OC are a different beast then CC. They vary widely and generally are a lot more different then the state allows for CC.

All the green states require a permit to OC. Yellow and orange don't need a permit. Red ones prohibit OC, and the brown ones... well it might as well be prohibited.

If you need a permit, then you would recognize other states that you have reciprocity with correct? The point I am trying to get at is say a state like Indiana requires a permit to OC, but they will honor any permit from any state. Washington seems like Pennsylvania (at least from my reading) that you don't need a permit on foot to OC, only to CC, and in your vehicle.

You just happen to have a much smaller list of states in which you honor.
    No that's not correct. If you are not a U.S. citizen you must have an alien firearms card to possess in Washington. You can have all the permits you want, but you can't have a gun. There is no permit required to open carry in Washington anyways. The issue for aliens (legal or not) is that they are required to have an alien firearms license, and the state will not issue or renew them.

Here's the applicable law (it's a class C felony to possess):

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.170

And here's where they tell you to pound sand if you want a license:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienreq.html
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Oh you made it sound like me as a PA resident couldn't open carry on foot in WA. I didn't realize you meant non-Americans.

Oh you made it sound like me as a PA resident couldn't open carry on foot in WA. I didn't realize you meant non-Americans.
    Yeah... maybe I could have been more clear.

WA has no restrictions on open carry for citizens, and does honor some concealed permits. But aliens currently can't possess a firearm.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Yeah... maybe I could have been more clear.

WA has no restrictions on open carry for citizens, and does honor some concealed permits. But aliens currently can't possess a firearm.
    Isn't that a violation of their civil rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    Isn't that a violation of their civil rights?
    The NRA is suing them. We'll see how it shakes out. This is becoming common in WA - if they don't like having to do something, they find an administrative way out rather than a legislative one. For example, all municipalities with a police force must accept concealed pistol applications - but many refuse on the basis that they don't offer finger printing for the public anymore. The mayor of Seattle is about to put an executive order in place to prohibit guns on city property, even though State law preempts. We are over due for a huge legal throw-down.

I fully support open and concealed with"out" a permit.

Regretfully, just like one poster reply received above, in order to get this through in Texas you are going to have to have the support of the National Rifle Assoc and Texas Rifle State Assoc.

Illegal or Legal Aliens: No Firearms. No carry open or concealed. If Legal Aliens then can hunt with a licensed guide and the guide can furnish the firearm and ammo. Licensed Guide is responsible for the Alien, the firearm, and the ammo.

Until all USA "Citizens" are allowed to follow the Second Amendment - carry anyway they want (open or concealed), carry anything they want (shotgun, rifle, handgun, bowie knife, brass knuckles, tomahawk, machinegun, etc), anytime 24/7, anywhere they want in the USA (Post Office, Peace Officer offices, govt buildings, etc) then Aliens should not be allowed to own or have firearms.
    Last edited by JD; December 25th, 2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Illegal or Legal Aliens: No Firearms. No carry open or concealed. If Legal Aliens then can hunt with a licensed guide and the guide can furnish the firearm and ammo. Licensed Guide is responsible for the Alien, the firearm, and the ammo.

Until all USA "Citizens" are allowed to follow the Second Amendment - carry anyway they want (open or concealed), carry anything they want (shotgun, rifle, handgun, bowie knife, brass knuckles, tomahawk, machinegun, etc), anytime 24/7, anywhere they want in the USA (Post Office, Peace Officer offices, govt buildings, etc) then Aliens should not be allowed to own or have firearms.
    So the 2nd Amendment, however much it may be infringed or not, is for citizens only?

So the 2nd Amendment, however much it may be infringed or not, is for citizens only?
    +1111

Quote Originally Posted by diesel556 View Post
    +1111
    If that's the case, then by extension, the entire bill of rights should not apply to aliens either.

i think all aliens should have rights imho, they are after all inaleinable rights granted by our creator. There are no stipulations for country of birth
    .they should have to submit to criminal background just as we do, granted it might take them a few months to get cleared but it should happen none the less. a great many of law abiding aliens are robbed and murdered because they are defenseless.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

If that's the case, then by extension, the entire bill of rights should not apply to aliens either.
    No, you misunderstood me. I was agreeing that those who are against equal treatment need to ask themselves your question. I wasn't attempting to answer it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65;
    i think all aliens should have rights imho, they are after all inaleinable rights granted by our creator. There are no stipulations for country of birth
    I think I can safely +1 this without it being taken the wrong way .

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65;
    they should have to submit to criminal background just as we do

When have any of us needed to submit to a criminal background check as a condition for civil rights?

JD
    Administrator

Civil rights of immigrants is not the topic of this thread, if you guys want to debate the issues of The Second Amendment and Aliens, start a new thread in the Second Amendment Discussion & News section please.

moved to here.
    Last edited by Al Lowe; December 30th, 2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: moved to new thread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links