Can you OC in states if you are not a resident? - Page 4

Can you OC in states if you are not a resident?

This is a discussion on Can you OC in states if you are not a resident? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by diesel556 When have any of us needed to submit to a criminal background check as a condition for civil rights? sorry i ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can you OC in states if you are not a resident?

Quote Originally Posted by diesel556 View Post

When have any of us needed to submit to a criminal background check as a condition for civil rights?

sorry i meant for the CCW/FFL purchases type stuff
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Make sure you check state and local laws first. If I'm not mistaken the city of Philly requires you have a CHP even for open carry.
    yes. The state law doesn't cover First class cities, which Philly is. Don't laugh that's how they describe it in the statute.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmith View Post
    yes. The state law doesn't cover First class cities, which Philly is. Don't laugh that's how they describe it in the statute.
    The state law does cover "cities of the first class" (definition: 1 million or more population - only Philly qualifies) in that the PA LTCF is required for concealed and open carry. It's not Philly's law - it's the state's.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

non-resident OC is fine in Colorado (except for the People's Republik of Denver)

Heres a tough one for you all to ponder. What about someone like me for instance, living in Illinois, which is a no carry at all state. Illinois issues a firearms owner indentification card(F.O.I.D.) which allows residents to purchase or possess firearms but not conceal or open carry.Besides obtaining non-resident LTC permits to conceal carry in certain states. Does the F.O.I.D card constitute a license to open carry in lets say MI.? I would say CC no, because Illinois doesnt issue LTC permits, but according to MI. law, it states a license to possess or purchase a firearm. The F.O.I.D. card allows me to do that. So would I be legal to OC in MI.?

I don't know MI law (check here - OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ).

But some states, like Colorado for example, allow OC by the fact that there's no law against it. As such the implication is that the right exists for residents and non-residents alike.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR369 View Post
    Heres a tough one for you all to ponder. What about someone like me for instance, living in Illinois, which is a no carry at all state. Illinois issues a firearms owner indentification card(F.O.I.D.) which allows residents to purchase or possess firearms but not conceal or open carry.Besides obtaining non-resident LTC permits to conceal carry in certain states. Does the F.O.I.D card constitute a license to open carry in lets say MI.? I would say CC no, because Illinois doesnt issue LTC permits, but according to MI. law, it states a license to possess or purchase a firearm. The F.O.I.D. card allows me to do that. So would I be legal to OC in MI.?
    OK, you FOID card is virtually worthless in any state other than Illinois. As you said, it's not a carry permit.

You can OC in certain states that allow OC to all, even those that are non residents, and non CCW holders, VA and PA for example have no laws regulating the open carrying of handungs by those legal to do, IE if you're legal to own a handgun, you can open carry it, it varies from state to state.

According to the actual text of MI law, it states the following regarding non-resident carry by those with out of state permits.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR369 View Post
    As a person who USED to live in "The Peoples' Republik of Illinois," and who now resides in the state of Michigan, I can tell you for a fact, your only chance to OC here, would be if you had a RESIDENT carry permit. Since Illinois does not issue such a permit, you're outta luck here.

Michigan requires all carried (and non-carried for people that live here) handguns to be registered, UNLESS the person doing the carrying is visiting from out of state, and has a permit to carry from their state of residence. Unfortunately.

Non-Colorado residents can OC here.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

I thought I'd bring up an old thread rather than start a new one, does that still hold true that a non-resident of Colorado can open carry? Is there anywhere I can see the statute that says its ok?

not that I don't believe anyone here, but lets face it, it IS the internet after all
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

One must search the states in which one wants to travel pretty closely. Don't just go by a map or some poster's words of wisdom.
    For example...
    I live in Florida, my son lives in IN. IN is an open carry state...sort of...my son can open carry, but after looking closely at the IN State firearms laws, my CCW permit could not be a concealed carry permit (which FL is) and open carry in IN. Therefore, even though I'm in IN (an open carry state) with my FL permit, I must remain concealed.
    Research and know the laws of any state in which you plan on carrying a firearm, or any other weapon for that matter. I'm just sayin'...be careful!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    In Michigan, that's a tricky question. Essentially, you can OC in Michigan, IF you have a permit to carry from your home state. This has more to do with our handgun registration laws, than anything else.

Actually I believe it is due to bringing in the handgun from another state.

2. Can a resident of another state legally possess a pistol in Michigan?

If you are a non-resident of Michigan with a valid concealed pistol permit from your home state, Michigan will recognize your permit (MCL 28.432 & MCL 28.432a). However, you must carry in conformance with any and all restrictions appearing on the permit. You are subject to Michigan's concealed pistol law including but not limited to restrictions on where a concealed pistol may be carried. Without a CPL, a non-resident may not have a pistol in Michigan.

Federal law expressly provides that persons may carry a firearm in their vehicles while traveling through another state provided that the possession of the weapon is legal in both the states of origin and destination and the weapon is unloaded and carried in the trunk of the vehicle or a locked container other than the glove box. See 18 U.S.C. 926a
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    As a person who USED to live in "The Peoples' Republik of Illinois," and who now resides in the state of Michigan, I can tell you for a fact, your only chance to OC here, would be if you had a RESIDENT carry permit. Since Illinois does not issue such a permit, you're outta luck here.

Michigan requires all carried (and non-carried for people that live here) handguns to be registered, UNLESS the person doing the carrying is visiting from out of state, and has a permit to carry from their state of residence. Unfortunately.

Now now, you know it is not a "registration" it is a "safety inspection" at least that is what they officially say but I have seen on the state police website the word "registration" used.
    (smiling)
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    Actually I believe it is due to bringing in the handgun from another state.

2. Can a resident of another state legally possess a pistol in Michigan?

If you are a non-resident of Michigan with a valid concealed pistol permit from your home state, Michigan will recognize your permit (MCL 28.432 & MCL 28.432a). However, you must carry in conformance with any and all restrictions appearing on the permit. You are subject to Michigan's concealed pistol law including but not limited to restrictions on where a concealed pistol may be carried. Without a CPL, a non-resident may not have a pistol in Michigan.

Federal law expressly provides that persons may carry a firearm in their vehicles while traveling through another state provided that the possession of the weapon is legal in both the states of origin and destination and the weapon is unloaded and carried in the trunk of the vehicle or a locked container other than the glove box. See 18 U.S.C. 926a
    Well, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

JD
    Administrator
    That whole safety inspection thing has been repealed, it's a moot point to argue it now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links