Can you OC in states if you are not a resident? - Page 5

Can you OC in states if you are not a resident?

This is a discussion on Can you OC in states if you are not a resident? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ecbaatz Now now, you know it is not a "registration" it is a "safety inspection" at least that is what they officially ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can you OC in states if you are not a resident?

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    Now now, you know it is not a "registration" it is a "safety inspection" at least that is what they officially say but I have seen on the state police website the word "registration" used.
    (smiling)
    They also say "registration" in the Lansing PD HQ where you go to get the permit to purchase. It's also mentioned in MCL 380.1313 paragraph 3

(3) A law enforcement agency that takes possession of a dangerous weapon under subsection (2) shall check all available local and state stolen weapon and stolen property files and the national crime information center stolen gun and property files to determine the legal owner of the dangerous weapon. If the dangerous weapon is a pistol, the law enforcement agency also shall check the state pistol registration records to determine the legal owner.
    I wonder if this means they're finally coming out of the closet on this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That whole safety inspection thing has been repealed, it's a moot point to argue it now.
    Well, not the whole thing. We still have to apply for a permit to purchase, IF we don't have a CPL. And the handgun still has to be registered. The only part that got changed was, we no longer have to take the pistol back to the local PD/Sheriff's office to be "inspected." And they don't issue a green card either. We tried to get rid of the whole thing, but no luck on that. Still, I guess it's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    Well, not the whole thing. We still have to apply for a permit to purchase, IF we don't have a CPL. And the handgun still has to be registered. The only part that got changed was, we no longer have to take the pistol back to the local PD/Sheriff's office to be "inspected." And they don't issue a green card either. We tried to get rid of the whole thing, but no luck on that. Still, I guess it's a step in the right direction.
    Well since this thread got bumped and resarted, I notice it originally was from 2008, I will add this, which I happened to notice about Michigan. We allow open carry as long as your legal to posess a handgun, HOWEVER it is illegal to open carry inside a vehicle in Michigan unless you have a CPL.
    So be aware your good to open carry unless your in a car or bus. I wonder how this applies to a motor cycle?

If you are a non-resident of Michigan with a valid concealed pistol permit from your home state, Michigan will recognize your permit... Without a CPL, a non-resident may not have a pistol in Michigan.
    I'm confused all over again.
    It seems that MI is denying my RKBA because my state doesn't issue permits, though I have permits from other states.
    Some time ago, probably on OCDO, I'd read that with a resident permit, anyone can conceal in MI. With a permit of any kind, a person may OC.
    But the FAW quoted above sounds like I can't carry, period.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau
    Michigan... allows open carry as long as you're legal to posess a handgun
    And this sounds like I can OC with no permit from anywhere.

Can anyone link to statutes?
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." R. Kipling

Defense fund donations gratefully accepted here (PayPal link).

As for the original question, here in WI anyone who is not a prohibited person may OC.
    No permit needed, though there are a few restrictions:
    not in a place that serves alcohol for on-premises consumption (must have permission from owner or manager)
    not within 1000' of the edge of a school property
    not in a vehicle (must be unloaded & encased; unloaded means no rounds in the chamber or magazine, if one is inserted)
    not in taxpayer-owned buildings
    not in state parks or fish hatcheries
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." R. Kipling

Defense fund donations gratefully accepted here (PayPal link).

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I'm confused all over again.
    It seems that MI is denying my RKBA because my state doesn't issue permits, though I have permits from other states.
    Some time ago, probably on OCDO, I'd read that with a resident permit, anyone can conceal in MI. With a permit of any kind, a person may OC.
    But the FAW quoted above sounds like I can't carry, period.

And this sounds like I can OC with no permit from anywhere.

Can anyone link to statutes?
    Bottom line is, Michigan does not recognize non-resident permits/licenses. If you don't have a permit from your home state, you're outta luck. Unfortunately.

in Kansas, if you are legal to own it .... then you are legal to open carry it. Cities/Counties can make it "illegal" , so unfortunately you may have to check the specific city / town to see if there is a law agains OC.

You will not find a law per se saying it's legal, because they write laws only to tell you what is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    IIRC Iowa is in the same boat, you have to have a permit to carry concealed or open.

IA does not recognize any other State's permit as well.
    Things have changed in Iowa since that post in 2008... las year they passed legislation and now recognize ALL STATES licenses. Check it out.

Iowa : off of the Atty General’s site , http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

QUESTION: Will Iowa publish a list of states whose permits will be honored, and will Iowa publish a list of states that will honor the Iowa permit?

ANSWER: No. Iowa will honor any valid permit issued by any other state(my emphasis). Iowa permit holders will need to check with other states to determine if their Iowa permit will be honored in that state.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links