Big OC push in Texas: MERGED - Page 3

Big OC push in Texas: MERGED

This is a discussion on Big OC push in Texas: MERGED within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I join the ranks of those who would probably not OC (except maybe just once, just to say I did it ) but if for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big OC push in Texas: MERGED

What's showing reveals what's hidden

I join the ranks of those who would probably not OC (except maybe just once, just to say I did it ) but if for every OC visible, there may be 10 who are CC'ing. That should give the BG's something to think about.

Well, will OC require any training before carrying? I am not certain I want some of the people I see at the gun store carrying unless they have had some more lessons. I usually get swept every time I'm there.

If the OC'rs had to have a license and training like CHL'ers then I am all for it.

If this does pass, I will of course have to go out and get a nice exotic skin holster for my two tone P228 and a matching pair of boots for formal occasions!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Actually anyone who want to OC in Texas can do so right now. The weapon just needs to be shotgun or rifle not a handgun. And aren't rifles and shotguns better selfdefense weapons anyway. So why get exercised about OCing a wimpy handgun???

Also in Texas, in order to be charged with open carry, you need to "intentionally" expose your pistol. If you have it covered by a shirt and the wind blows it open, you can't be charged. So an OC bill only gives one additional protection if you really want to go out with your handgun in full view.

We also have more important issues here that we have a good chance of actually getting addressed this legislative session like carry on campuses and schools, and carry in employer parking lots. They would both impact far more people and protect far more people than open carry would. This open carry petition also has no support as far as I can tell from any legislators or significant lobbying groups. So as best as I can tell, all it can be this year is a spoiler potentially driving legislators away from bills we could get passed.

So while I don't care one way or the other about open carry of pistols, I would just as soon see this petition disappear for this session. Next session may be a different matter.

Poll up on keyetv.com

See poll on far RHS, about half way down.

Austin Texas News - KEYE 42 News - CBS Austin

Also story and video clip on opencarry.org;

Ad campaign launched to bring open carrying of guns in Texas

Cheers,

SDS

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Those are actually good points. I agree that those who are squemish about OC would definitely feel overwhelmed with all the other potential legislation coming down the pipe - and I would much rather see campus/school carry allowed any day.

Personally I won't OC even if legal, but I think licensees should have the choice of OC or CC, whatever floats their boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
    Actually anyone who want to OC in Texas can do so right now. The weapon just needs to be shotgun or rifle not a handgun. And aren't rifles and shotguns better selfdefense weapons anyway. So why get exercised about OCing a wimpy handgun???

Also in Texas, in order to be charged with open carry, you need to "intentionally" expose your pistol. If you have it covered by a shirt and the wind blows it open, you can't be charged. So an OC bill only gives one additional protection if you really want to go out with your handgun in full view.

We also have more important issues here that we have a good chance of actually getting addressed this legislative session like carry on campuses and schools, and carry in employer parking lots. They would both impact far more people and protect far more people than open carry would. This open carry petition also has no support as far as I can tell from any legislators or significant lobbying groups. So as best as I can tell, all it can be this year is a spoiler potentially driving legislators away from bills we could get passed.

So while I don't care one way or the other about open carry of pistols, I would just as soon see this petition disappear for this session. Next session may be a different matter.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post

+1 on that! Great points and I have to agree. I would rather see Matt's push to have campuses & schools resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Sign me up - where do I sign if for the petition? PM the info, I don't always get to check this forum.
    Don't know if you got a PM. Here is the link I have:
    Sign the Open Carry of Handguns in Texas Petition
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Good Luck, Every state should have open carry!!

There is something positively un-Texan about having to hide your gun. A Texan of all people should be able to wear his gun openly and proudly.

Perhaps the law could say that open carry holsters should be fancy carved leather models and therefore qualify as public display of art. ;)

OC is not a good idea in Texas. All someone has to do is post "effective notice" in the form of a sign to restrict carrying in their premises. I have seen 3 legal signs in 7 years. CC is out of sight out of mind. With OC more signs will go up and more restricted places.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

M2
    TXCHI

I agree. It was scary enough seeing some of the people who were getting their CHLs when I went through the course; I am not sure I want to see them OC'ing in public and I'm pro-gun!

I don't think OC is going to do us any favors. As previously stated, you have to intentionally display your firearm to be in violation of the law. Accidental display is not against the law (but it would probably cause someone to call the cops anyway). And OC would make the rest of the non-carrying public nervous, even here in Texas.

I'll repeat my earlier comment, I would rather see the restrictions on CC lifted than OC!

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    TXCHI

I agree. It was scary enough seeing some of the people who were getting their CHLs when I went through the course; I am not sure I want to see them OC'ing in public and I'm pro-gun! M2
    So, its OK for "steady" people like yourself to CC but BOY! lets not let them wackos you've seen OC?

GRRRRR!

VIP Member
    Play nice children....play nice or the Big Bad Bumper will come out
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by TXCHI View Post
    OC is not a good idea in Texas. All someone has to do is post "effective notice" in the form of a sign to restrict carrying in their premises. I have seen 3 legal signs in 7 years. CC is out of sight out of mind. With OC more signs will go up and more restricted places.
    people will get used to o.c. in TX just like in other states.
    you don't seem to understand that o.c. is helping the 2nd amendment stay strong,and is a win for gun owners everywhere,but thank you for deciding for all us Texans that its not a good idea to have it here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links