Defensive Carry banner

Big OC push in Texas: MERGED

6K views 47 replies 37 participants last post by  Greybeard 
#1 ·
I just read on another website about a petition that's really gaining momentum in Texas to allow OC. You'd think that an old wild west state like Texas would already have that.

#3 ·
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The push is very big and gaining momentum every day.

You couldn't even carry concealed in Texas until after Ann Richards was no longer Governor. I think the Governor that signed the CCW law was George Bush if I remember correctly. And that was only, 8 or 10 years ago.

CCW in Texas is a fairly recent thing.

#9 ·
Arkansas and Oklahoma have running OC petitions as well. I wish all you Texans luck!

#10 ·
If that Russian dude that is predicting the US being broken up in to smaller parts TX, AR, and OK may become a small country within the US, so we would have to stick together anyway.

Bring on the options, even though I may never OC.

#11 ·
I would like to see it passed just to cover the times when you first step out of a vehicle or house without something over it (jacket, etc) you would be OK under the law. I probably wouldn't do it myself much but when I'm on the farm and need to make a quick run to buy diesel fuel for the tractor.....at least I wouldn't have to worry about it.

#13 ·
unneeded comments in the OC forum

It really wouldn't matter to me if they allowed OC, because I wouldn't do it off or my own property anyway.

Currently it doesn't bother me to take the trash out or go outside for some reason if my pistol is showing. On my property it is perfectly legal, but that is the limit of where I would do it.

#14 ·
I was happy to contribute to putting up billboards in and out of Austin. The idea was not only to put the issue in front of your legislators, but the fact that Austin is such a liberal town it was sure to generate a lot of buzz, including in the media. In addition, we were able to put up taxi cab ads in the city. If you haven't signed the petition for your state yet, please do so even if you do not agree with it or would do it yourself. We are all like minded and should fight together to keep ALL our rights. Not just privileges.

#16 ·
I'm for passage of an open carry bill but won't be doing it. I like it better when nobody has to know.

#17 ·
I agree on the fact that I don't plan to OC and know of no reason I would want to or need to, but I do like knowing that if I were printing or my shirt rode up I would be ok out in public. I have already signed in and hope every other Texan does too.

#19 ·
Wild West State?

Anyone know what he meant when he wrote "wild west state like Texas?"

This from someone in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia!

I wish there was a little bit more of the "Wild West" alive today. Back
then people were responsible for their own actions. Crime was
punished quickly. Guns were tools, not evil objects with minds of their
own.

I say bring back the old west!

#20 ·
I myself usually CC, but support OC as well; too bad it's illegal in some states. If OC were common here, say at least 10% of the public OCing, I would gladly join in. (Yes, I know, if every would-be OCer thinks like me, it'll never be common.)

Good luck, Texas!

#24 ·
Don't hold your breath, the sheep (and we still have a lot of them in Texas) get too excited at the sight of a firearm to allow OC. Plus, internet petitions are useless.

I prefer concealed carry anyway, no reason to let the BG know you are armed in advance. The best thing about CC is that the BG never knows who is armed...

If anything, we need the restrictions on CC (schools, sports arenas, etc) lifted.

Cheers! M2

#26 ·
i wont open carry either,but that's not what its all about. open carry is a win for our side.:comeandgetsome:

#25 ·
I would like to see it but I am not holding my breath. Gov. Perry feels all of us with licenses should be able to carry anywhere in the state, but I think he prefers we keep them out of sight. I would still probably CC most of the time, but it would be nice to have a choice.

#27 ·
Gun Group Targets Texas for Open-Carry Law

Gun Group Targets Texas for Open-Carry Law

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Saying Texas firearm laws are overly restrictive, a group of gun advocates is lobbying state lawmakers to permit wearing handguns in plain view.

With the legislative session scheduled to begin in January, supporters of "open-carry laws" have placed ads on billboards in Houston and San Antonio and on taxis in Austin.

The Texas campaign is expected to intensify Tuesday with a radio message in Fort Worth, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin. The ad says, "We don't hide our colors, do we?" and encourages Texans to sign an online petition asking lawmakers to make Texas a place where people can openly wear their guns. More than 28,000 people have signed it so far.

"We are targeting Texas," said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!, in a story Sunday in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Get ready for a showdown in Austin come January."

Stollenwerk said Texas is one of the nation's most pro-gun states and promised an "awakening" when "Texans realize how restrictive their rights are."

Texas is one of six states -- along with New York, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Florida and South Carolina -- in which handguns can't be worn in plain view. The other 44 states, in the parlance of gun advocates, are known as "open-carry" states.

Ralph Carroll, 48, said he views an open-carry law as another way for him to protect his three children. He said fears about increased gun violence after the passage of Texas' concealed-carry law haven't happened.

"I just simply want to ensure I have self-protection if the need arises," said Carroll, who lives in Van Zandt County. "The same reason I wear my seat belt, carry a spare tire and have a working fire extinguisher."

#28 ·
I'm all for OC in our fair state!!!

Sign me up - where do I sign if for the petition? PM the info, I don't always get to check this forum.

#38 ·
#31 ·
What's showing reveals what's hidden

I join the ranks of those who would probably not OC (except maybe just once, just to say I did it :wave:) but if for every OC visible, there may be 10 who are CC'ing. That should give the BG's something to think about.

#32 ·
Well, will OC require any training before carrying? I am not certain I want some of the people I see at the gun store carrying unless they have had some more lessons. I usually get swept every time I'm there.

If the OC'rs had to have a license and training like CHL'ers then I am all for it.

#34 ·
Actually anyone who want to OC in Texas can do so right now. The weapon just needs to be shotgun or rifle not a handgun. And aren't rifles and shotguns better selfdefense weapons anyway. So why get exercised about OCing a wimpy handgun???

Also in Texas, in order to be charged with open carry, you need to "intentionally" expose your pistol. If you have it covered by a shirt and the wind blows it open, you can't be charged. So an OC bill only gives one additional protection if you really want to go out with your handgun in full view.

We also have more important issues here that we have a good chance of actually getting addressed this legislative session like carry on campuses and schools, and carry in employer parking lots. They would both impact far more people and protect far more people than open carry would. This open carry petition also has no support as far as I can tell from any legislators or significant lobbying groups. So as best as I can tell, all it can be this year is a spoiler potentially driving legislators away from bills we could get passed.

So while I don't care one way or the other about open carry of pistols, I would just as soon see this petition disappear for this session. Next session may be a different matter.

#36 ·
Those are actually good points. I agree that those who are squemish about OC would definitely feel overwhelmed with all the other potential legislation coming down the pipe - and I would much rather see campus/school carry allowed any day.

Personally I won't OC even if legal, but I think licensees should have the choice of OC or CC, whatever floats their boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.