How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public? - Page 2

How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public?

This is a discussion on How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's still relatively recognized in Arizona. Before we had CCW, OC was common....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It's still relatively recognized in Arizona. Before we had CCW, OC was common.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    So, that brings me to my question: for those in OC and CC legal states, how long are you comfortable keeping you gun exposed and how much of it is exposed?
    How long? - 24/7.

How much? - Only the part that sticks out of the holster.

It isn't legal in Tx and one phone call will get you arrested,on the other hand if it was as long as you act normal then nobody is gonna pay much attention,but if you act nervous you may set off that 6th sense buzzer and get an LEO visit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by frankinstine View Post
    I might let my gun show briefly if changing jackets/shirts just outside my car or something, but thats about it.
    +1
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I think I may have posed this question incorrectly. I realize it would be preferable to remain concealed at all times. But there are times and circumstances when you would have to become 'exposed' i.e. wearing a tucked in shirt and having to remove your jacket.
    I set up my concealed carry system to work with a tucked shirt and no cover garment, so that is a non-issue for me. I'm planning on getting a pocket gun for situations that I know in advance are going to be problematic for my normal carry system, so that will allow me to be armed 24/7 with no risk of my cover being blown.

I'm an Arizonan too. For the most part it's prudent for me to keep things to myself (concealed). Depending on where I am, and what I'm doing I will occasionally open carry.

In my own neighborhood I keep it concealed because I don't really trust my neighbors and don't want them to get any thoughts about what else may be in our apartment, when I venture to other parts of the valley it's not such a big deal.

I had a friend down in Coolidge (very small town) that had a church. Down there open carry is pretty common. I've led Bible study and even preached while open carrying.

One thing I have noticed about open carry, I used to OC all the time before Arizona let us carry concealed. If your comfortable with it, very few people even notice. If you're constantly fussing with it, adjusting it, leaning your elbow on it then everyone seems to notice.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Even though its legal, I never OC. I refuse to advertise. The element of surprise is far superior than the target of fate.

>>---->
    I agree 100%. OC is legal here in TN, but not common in my part of EAST TN. I not only prefer to keep the tactical advantage, but also not spook sheeple, or have an "anti" call in a "man with a gun"

So for me...no exposure for any length of time is comfortable.

I don't usually time how long I OC....it is situation dependent. No issues OCing at the gas pump...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My method of carry never allows for my firearm to be exposed - ever - my pants would have to fall off for that to happen.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I don't really feel terribly comfortable OCing in public here in PHX. I actually had the cops called on me because "i was a man with a gun". At any rate, I usually only OC when I go out shooting in the desert or on my way to/from the range.

I am waiting for me CCW permit to come back, should be any day now! Once that happens, I'll prolly never OC again.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I don't really feel terribly comfortable OCing in public here in PHX. I actually had the cops called on me because "i was a man with a gun". At any rate, I usually only OC when I go out shooting in the desert or on my way to/from the range.

I am waiting for me CCW permit to come back, should be any day now! Once that happens, I'll prolly never OC again.
    Exactly why I don't feel comfortable exposing it for any period of time, even if it's to just get into my car. I don't need someone calling the cops on me and THEN have my wife find out. Then I'll REALLY be in trouble.

I was only aware of exposing once, getting out of the car to get gas. My seat belt pulled up my shirt over gun handle. My wife had to let me know I was exposed
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I carry open when I feel like it. Don't worry about it.Just be more aware of what's around you.I live here in Goodyear.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

In this area, I don't think anyone cares.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    So, that brings me to my question: for those in OC and CC legal states, how long are you comfortable keeping you gun exposed and how much of it is exposed?
    OC is 100% legal here in Kentucky. However doing so brings with it some unwanted comments and negative opinons. Especially the town I live in. Suddenly OCing a gun in a small town you have grown up it, causes people to suddenly have different opinion of you. And one which is typically not positive.

I have OCed - I have also felt like all eyes were on me. A feeling I just don't like.

Craig

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links